Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Please Help Me Get Started

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 04:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help Me Get Started

Hello,
Well thank you for taking the time to look at this thread so I turn to the the best, which hopefully thats you, SO LETS CUT TO THE CHASE,
I am looking to build a 355ci Small Block Chevy, I am wanting to run a TPI setup for every right reason, performance, economical, modern, looks, etc... but I am having a hard to figuring out Everything i need , HEADS? INTAKE? STAND ALONE ECM? mayeb im stupid but im wanting to put it in my Jeep, i just need some direction as of what i need to make all that work together, i dont plan on keeping much of the facotry jeep stuff ie. dash gauges, oh and also would like to run serpentine systems as well, I know im asking alot but if you could please help me maybe I can pass this favor someday! THANK YOU!
Old 02-23-2011, 06:06 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1982 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Re: Please Help Me Get Started

You can get started by reading the rules of this board, including this part:

Stay on-topic to each specific board/post and discuss Third Generation (1982-1992) F-Bodies (Camaros and Firebirds) ONLY.
To "cut to the chase" Jeeps are not applicable.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by asoucek
Hello,
Well thank you for taking the time to look at this thread so I turn to the the best, which hopefully thats you, SO LETS CUT TO THE CHASE,
I am looking to build a 355ci Small Block Chevy, I am wanting to run a TPI setup for every right reason, performance, economical, modern, looks, etc... but I am having a hard to figuring out Everything i need , HEADS? INTAKE? STAND ALONE ECM? mayeb im stupid but im wanting to put it in my Jeep, i just need some direction as of what i need to make all that work together, i dont plan on keeping much of the facotry jeep stuff ie. dash gauges, oh and also would like to run serpentine systems as well, I know im asking alot but if you could please help me maybe I can pass this favor someday! THANK YOU!
A: if you begin with a good block you won't need to bore it

b: sorry, but an engine that was phased out 19 years ago isn't "modern"
Old 02-23-2011, 07:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,271 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Yes there is that Cheep problem...

But aside from that:

Yes you will need some heads and an intake. Stock TPI ones should do just fine. No you do not particularly need a stand-alone ECM; for that mattter, some Cheep ones might even work (the one for a V8 for example), since all the Cheep is, is yerbasic S/D setup, not so different from many years of TPI. All the necessary sensors - CTS, TPS, O2, MAP, and so on, are largely the same, and are even largely in the same places. Might take a bit of tuning, is all; maybe a wire or 2 extended or something, but not much.

No particular reason that the Cheep dash gauges wouldn't work, for all the same reasons.