Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Exhaust (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/exhaust/)
-   -   ground clearance probs with 4" Mufflex on lowered car (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/exhaust/200422-ground-clearance-probs-4-a.html)

coprunr 09-10-2003 10:27 AM

ground clearance probs with 4" Mufflex on lowered car

will the Mufflex 4" Cat back give me major ground clearance problems on a car with 2" drop in front and 1 1/2" drop in rear?

wingnut 09-10-2003 11:12 AM

The 4" pipe itself won't be a ground clearance issue if it is properly installed. However, if you run the 3" Y-Pipe (made by Flowmaster) that Mufflex sells, you will be scraping ground whenever you hit a dip in the road. That is the least of your problems if you plan on running long tube headers, as the collectors will be the lowest point of the exhaust system.

I have Hooker Super Comp (long tube) headers, 3" Y-Pipe & 4" exhaust (from Mufflex). My car is not lowered and my header collectors still bottom out on some roads. The Y-Pipe tucks up nicely to the undercarriage if you take your time and rotate the different segments of pipe until you get the best fit. The point under your tranny crossmember is the limiting factor - some people grind clearance in the crossmember, I didn't. The 4" pipe is a non-factor as far as ground clearance.

coprunr 09-10-2003 11:32 AM

i am planning on running 1 3/4" shorty headers if i can find some i like ....if i find some with a matching y-pipe will i be able to tuck the y -pipe since the collectors will be mounted higher in the chassis?

wingnut 09-10-2003 02:47 PM

I'm not sure what's available in regards to mating shorty headers to the Mufflex cat-back system. I'm sure that someone here can help you out though.

Marc 85Z28 09-10-2003 03:47 PM

I'll help :) I'm currently running SLPs 1 3/4" shorty headers to a custom 2.5" dual pipe setup along factory Y-pipe routing connecting to a 4" Mufflex. With the pictured wheel/tire combo and a 1.25" lowering at all 4 corners I have better ground clearance with this setup than I did with my SLP piping and Hooker 3". Just take the time to install the system and like wingnut said, keep rotating the pipes until it tucks up nicely. I guess I need to update my sig :o

coprunr 09-10-2003 04:07 PM

cool...thanks for the advice fellas....one other question...are the SLP 1 3/4" rearlly worth $500?

CraZ-28 09-10-2003 04:59 PM

Yeah, when installing the mufflex system and going with what ever header and y-pipe configuration, I cannot stress how important it is to take your time. From what I have told people in the past and seen, the mufflex system is not a bolt in system. It's close but more work needs to be done. If you take your time, cut a few pipes, and use custom hangers, you can make if fit "very" tight. Mine is tucked so far up that you cannot even tell I have a 4 inch sewer tube under the car until you get under the car.

92BLKL98 09-10-2003 05:01 PM

Originally posted by coprunr
cool...thanks for the advice fellas....one other question...are the SLP 1 3/4" rearlly worth $500?
YES:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Marc 85Z28 09-11-2003 10:55 AM

Originally posted by coprunr
No. :eek: That's why I bought mine used for only $200 including Y-pipe :)

89Thrd-GenGTA 09-14-2003 01:55 PM

acually how loud is this system? i have a flowmaster on there now (came with car) and i was thinking borla. A sound clip maybe? thanks in advance