Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Exhaust (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/exhaust/)
-   -   True Duals Muffler!?! (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/exhaust/558565-true-duals-muffler.html)

mesterious 02-04-2010 07:53 PM

True Duals Muffler!?!

Which Muffler should i get with my set up: 406SBC (AFR 210s), Big Cam, 1 3/4th LT Headers, and X pipe. Dumping the the muffler at the axle! The car will be a Weekend fun car so loudness really isnt a big problem execpt for cruising.

blue85305 02-04-2010 08:35 PM

Re: True Duals Muffler!?!

bullets or spiral flows, for the ultimate in loudness and flow.

DeathStarr89 02-04-2010 08:56 PM

something that will actually flow well.. which despite the name Flowmasters will not.

I prefer Hooker Aerochambers, excellent tone and flow. However you might have ground clearance issues depending on where you put them, maybe bullets would be a better choice.

3833rdGen 02-05-2010 07:27 PM

just put the Dynomax bullets on my 383 they sound awesome

2002chad 02-05-2010 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Purple82TA (Post 4424923)
something that will actually flow well.. which despite the name Flowmasters will not.

if you run them in duals, the way they are supposed to be run, they are not that bad.

my vote is Spintech.

Sports Reporter 02-06-2010 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by 2002chad (Post 4426240)
if you run them in duals, the way they are supposed to be run, they are not that bad.

my vote is Spintech.

one chamber flows or even the fake flows sound great with an x pipe and flow as good as a bullet. I personally hate bullets. I like the dynomax race magnums but a one chamber flow has that unique sound. Just about every muffler shop carries the one chambers in flowmaster and flowmaster copies. They buy the copies for about $22 bucks a piece so make them give you a deal or go to another muffler shop. That motor will run good with 3" and an x pipe. You can buy the slip fit universal x pipe set up from jegs for about $90 bucks and it has enough pipe to do a 3rd gen except for the dumps.

stage20 02-06-2010 07:25 AM

borla or dynomax. all the others will eat a few hp.
the bullet types are going to be loud! not good for cruising. being dumped at the axle, its going to beat you do death in the car. sound like dogs barking in your ear.
your compression ratio can help or hurt the noise too.

you might look into a magnaflow muffler, or the dynatech split flows.
magnaflow has some 4x9 inch mufflers that will help with ground clearance, and the split flows have a uniquie shape that might help clear some of the floorpan area to tuck them up a lil higher.

IMO..... i would do a y pipe to single setup in the stock location.
i just got rid of my catback and dumped mine. just no room for duals without looking tacky. from behind the car.
a single setup WILL make the same power.
3 inch y pipe to a single 3.5 or 4" muffler will get the job done. promise.

watajob 02-13-2010 02:49 AM

Classic Chambered.

MADMAXGTA 02-13-2010 05:39 AM

Heres a true dual set up,before and after video,enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs7U0DRou1s

Dustytrix 02-13-2010 08:24 PM

That sounds good Max. Was it hard to install?

MADMAXGTA 02-13-2010 08:56 PM

Not mine,Im just you tube trans am freak so i thought id share,mine sounds like the before part.:)

ziggy89 02-14-2010 08:59 PM

mine sounds like the before part too.

dad actully leaned over to look and c if i was watching one of my videos again lol

84 z28 02-15-2010 10:01 AM

Moroso spirals. Free flowing and loud as F#$k.

1BADRZ28 02-15-2010 10:53 AM

I have had both Borla and Dynomax on my car. They sound identical really. If you want longevity get Borla. The Bullets started to burn out over time. The bullets will have more clearance then the XR-1's will unless you are moving your floor. I ran 3.5inch oval for more clearence and a custom trans cross member where I had no bends in the exhaust.

Orr89RocZ 02-15-2010 11:42 AM

ultraflo rounds are a bullet with more sound absorbtion but still are fairly loud. Have a good tone,i'd go in that direction. can tuck them under the car somewhat ok depending on size of pipes you intend to use.

borla XR1's are bullets with divider in the middle...a very expensive bullet. It will also be loud, i had one on my 383 for 2 days and was like no way.

InfernalVortex 02-15-2010 03:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 418613

Doesnt really muffle all that much, but it flows great. Sounds good too. Ive had experience with flowmasters, Spiralflows, and these. And really to me it's more about the motor than it is the muffler. A hot engine is gonna sond good regardless. But went from a Flowmaster 80 to a dual 3 inch spiralflow system to a single 3.5 splitflow system and they all sound really different. But the systems they were bolted to were so different I have a hard time really doing an apples to apples comparison. If performance wasnt the main goal, I'd have a flowmaster all day long though. A cammed hot rod with flowmasters just sounds so good to me.

$750 L98 03-13-2010 01:33 PM

What kinda of muffler is that, that is a weird looking set up, perforated tube and a sound cancelation plate in teh middle? Is splitflow the brand?

92Firebug 03-13-2010 01:38 PM

im gonna put headers on then turbo header mufflers and run the pipes out the sided right in front of the rear tires.