Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Exhaust (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/exhaust/)
-   -   any tips on how to remove the exhaust manifolds? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/exhaust/607513-any-tips-how-remove.html)

evilemokid94 03-17-2011 09:40 PM

any tips on how to remove the exhaust manifolds?

im getting ready for the big 2.8 to 3.4 engine swap and i need to use my 2.8 manifolds so i need help on how to remove the manifolds on both the engines so opinions please.

UNCLE TOM 03-17-2011 10:08 PM

Re: any tips on how to remove the exhaust manifolds?

soak with a good penetrating oil . do this several times for several days . soak the bolt heads & the surfaces that the manifolds mate to the heads . this will help removal , chase the threads in the heads . clean well the threads on the bolts you will re-use . clean well the threads in the head & don't break any bolts on removal . good luck .

quickkris2006 03-17-2011 11:36 PM

Get a broken and stripped bolt remover kit it will probably happen and save time when it does so u don't have to stop work and run to the parts store for tools.. if not u can always return it

evilemokid94 03-18-2011 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by quickkris2006 (Post 4859098)
Get a broken and stripped bolt remover kit it will probably happen and save time when it does so u don't have to stop work and run to the parts store for tools.. if not u can always return it

well my question is this. some people heat the bolts up to make the removal easier so on my 2.8 since it still runs. can i start the car and let the car heat those bolts up its self so when i take the bolts out it will be easier?

l_dis_travlr 03-20-2011 12:46 AM

If you're doing an engine swap, unbolting the y-pipe from
the manifolds will probably be easier.
Then dealing with the rust issues of removing the manifolds will be
much easier when the engine is in the workshop. :doh:

camaronewbie 03-20-2011 10:58 AM

heating the bolts makes them expand, thus they are larger in the bolt holes and harder to remove. heating the bolt holds (ie the heads) without heating the bolts would be the way to go, but this is kinda pointless in reality. just use PB Blaster several times a day for a day before hand, then they should come out no problem. given that the motor has spent it's whole life heating and cooling and reheating, exhaust manifold bolts aren't usually a big issue.

weswisehart 03-21-2011 07:33 PM

I just removed my manifolds today. I woke up and sprayed pb blaster on all of the bolts 3 hours later all of the bolts came out with zero problems. The bolts I didn't spray that connect to the y pipe I snapped one. Fml ha ha I'm not sure if I can get the stud off the manifold and drop a bolt in or not.

Pocket 03-24-2011 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by l_dis_travlr (Post 4861332)
If you're doing an engine swap, unbolting the y-pipe from
the manifolds will probably be easier.
Then dealing with the rust issues of removing the manifolds will be
much easier when the engine is in the workshop. :doh:

:yup:

A V6 is small enough that leaving the manifolds attached wont hinder removal. Much easier to mess with the engine out of the car

Convoy25 03-24-2011 06:47 PM

^^^ good to know.

but what i did was for about a week or two, i would spray PB Blaster all over the bolts 2-3 times a day. They came out like they were brand new and not one broke.

evilemokid94 04-17-2011 08:01 PM

i picked up seaform deep creep so that should work i hope, also im just gonna leave the manifolds on but i cant find the damn bolts for the y pipe!!

JDHawke 05-21-2014 01:25 PM

I need to replace the gaskets in the manifolds on my 2.8, does spraying the bolts with PB blaster work good?

midias 05-21-2014 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by JDHawke (Post 5767203)
I need to replace the gaskets in the manifolds on my 2.8, does spraying the bolts with PB blaster work good?

Yes, do it a few days in a row a few times a day then go at it.

JDHawke 05-21-2014 09:42 PM

Alright thanks