Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Exhaust (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/exhaust/)
-   -   Straight-Through Dual Pipes (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/exhaust/654692-straight-through-dual-pipes.html)

nwsurfrider 06-18-2012 12:36 PM

Straight-Through Dual Pipes

Hi All -

Noob here, and just getting started on the first few upgrades for my '84 Z/28 L69.

My question is, is there anyone out there who makes pre-fab straight-through 3" dual split pipes from shorty headers back? I've seen the Sinister, the Dynomax, etc. and so far haven't seen any true direct-fit, straight dual split pipes. Before I start fabricating my own, thought I'd check for the easier solution first with the group. Thanks for any and all feedback.

xch3no2 06-18-2012 02:55 PM

Re: Straight-Through Dual Pipes

You may rescind your thanks but I implore you not to do this thing you speak of. It is not a legitimate upgrade. I know of no manufacture foolish enough to market such a product.

Dakota W. 06-18-2012 02:58 PM

Buy some headers, magnaflow X-pipe, and make sure you run it all the way under the car to the rear bumper, and no bigger than 3" pipe, if you go any bigger on the pipe size or don't go to the rear bumper you will have noticeble low end torque loss.

nwsurfrider 06-18-2012 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by xch3no2 (Post 5305306)
You may rescind your thanks but I implore you not to do this thing you speak of. It is not a legitimate upgrade. I know of no manufacture foolish enough to market such a product.

I understand the obvious smog and legal implications, but the former is negated due to the fact the car is in a county that doesn't have any current smog restrictions. The latter, well, that's still an issue but something I'm willing to deal with. So my question becomes how is it not legitimate? Frowned upon, perhaps, but I see the "for off-road use only" warning on many, many products.

built91Z28 06-18-2012 03:18 PM

Dual 3" pipes is WAY too much for a stock 305. I'm running dual 2.5" pipes on a 400 horse 357. The car will sound like junk and it'll probably feel slower than now. Just do shorty headers, a pre fabbed Y-pipe, and a 2.5" single pipe cat back. Easier and you'll thank yourself when it sounds and performs decent.

nwsurfrider 06-18-2012 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by built91Z28 (Post 5305339)
Dual 3" pipes is WAY too much for a stock 305. I'm running dual 2.5" pipes on a 400 horse 357. The car will sound like junk and it'll probably feel slower than now. Just do shorty headers, a pre fabbed Y-pipe, and a 2.5" single pipe cat back. Easier and you'll thank yourself when it sounds and performs decent.

Good feedback. The exhaust upgrade is in anticipation for a 350 block to be installed into the car later this summer. If need be, I can hold off installing the exhaust until the bigger block is in - I just wanted it to be able to breath once the new block is in, and the current exhaust has a leak.

xch3no2 06-18-2012 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by nwsurfrider (Post 5305331)
So my question becomes how is it not legitimate? Frowned upon, perhaps, but I see the "for off-road use only" warning on many, many products.

Because the long, independent tubes lack beneficial - nay - required IMO, pulse tuning.

nwsurfrider 06-18-2012 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by xch3no2 (Post 5305412)
Because the long, independent tubes lack beneficial - nay - required IMO, pulse tuning.

Also good feedback, and I appreciate it. Something I didn't consider was the exhaust pressure in the pipe. So will an X-pipe help with the exhaust scavenging enough to solve the problem?