Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Exhaust (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/exhaust/)
-   -   SLP Shorty Headers (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/exhaust/662085-slp-shorty-headers.html)

25th92RS 09-11-2012 12:35 PM

SLP Shorty Headers

I've got a set of SLP shorty headers available to me. The owner couldn't tell me yes or no but I was curious if anyone knows if the stock y-pipe will bolt up to the SLP shorties?

Only looking to use the stock y-pipe because of clearance issues. I've got UMI SFC's on my car and the stock y-pipe barely clears the subframe connectors so any larger or aftermarket pipe may just not fit properly. Normally SLP produces nicely fitting parts that work with the OEM well so I was assuming that they will bolt up just fine but didn't want to jump on them and then be in a situation where they don't. If anyone knows, let me know ASAP. Thanks!

RyanJB 09-11-2012 01:00 PM

Re: SLP Shorty Headers

When I did headers I took it to an exhaust shop and had them tie the headers into the exhaust. I'm sure they could do the same for you and make them clear the SFCs.

InfernalVortex 09-11-2012 01:01 PM

Im pretty sure it does not. You will need to have a new y-pipe made for them. Those headers are very nice and are not available new anymore. you may find someone that wants to take them off your hands if you dont want to build a y-pipe for them.

Z28ricer 09-11-2012 01:13 PM

Awesome headers, but yeah you're gonna need a new Y made, i'd suggest having the ball flanges chopped off and go VBand there, bolting up the Y pipe was my only complaint with them.

//<86TA>\\ 09-11-2012 03:51 PM

just a FYI, the fit like crap. I hate the set i have.

25th92RS 09-11-2012 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\ (Post 5376411)
just a FYI, the fit like crap. I hate the set i have.

I think i'm passing on them anyway (though this guy does only want 125 bucks for them), but I had kept hearing that they fit better than most of the aftermarket and more like Dyno Don headers.....:huh:

Z28ricer 09-11-2012 07:48 PM

For $125, you're stupid if you dont buy them.

The guy that says they dont fit well doesnt know how to install parts, or was trying to install them on his worn out hooptie.

sofakingdom 09-12-2012 07:24 AM

They are EXCELLENT headers.

I have a set of 1¾" on my car, and had a set of 1-5/8" also, that I sold. Not sure where this "doesn't fit" drivel comes from; they fit the car better than the stock exhaust did.

No the stock Y-pipe won't work with the headers. Not even close. Not sure why anybody in their right mind would even consider such a thing anway; that's just plain stupid. The stock Y-pipe is probably the worst restriction there is, in most of the stock exh systems on these cars. IN PARTICULAR, the LG4 and 305 TBI ones are in fact, THE WORST.

No the Y-pipe probably won't fit the SFCs; those will need to be modified. Easy enough to cut the one lateral section of tubing and make a U-shaped piece to join them back together. Same deal with most brands of the better SFCs. Certainly not "justification" for spending extra money to retain the most restrictive part of the exhaust.

If the headers come without the Y-pipe, then they are basically worthless. Pass and keep looking regardless of the "don't fit" nonsense.

25th92RS 09-12-2012 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom (Post 5376866)

I have a set of 1¾" on my car, and had a set of 1-5/8" also, that I sold. Not sure where this "doesn't fit" drivel comes from; they fit the car better than the stock exhaust did.

No the stock Y-pipe won't work with the headers. Not even close. Not sure why anybody in their right mind would even consider such a thing anway; that's just plain stupid. The stock Y-pipe is probably the worst restriction there is, in most of the stock exh systems on these cars. IN PARTICULAR, the LG4 and 305 TBI ones are in fact, THE WORST.

No the Y-pipe probably won't fit the SFCs; those will need to be modified. Easy enough to cut the one lateral section of tubing and make a U-shaped piece to join them back together. Same deal with most brands of the better SFCs. Certainly not "justification" for spending extra money to retain the most restrictive part of the exhaust.

If the headers come without the Y-pipe, then they are basically worthless. Pass and keep looking regardless of the "don't fit" nonsense.

Agreed..... It is pretty damn tough to pass up a set of headers for 125 bucks, especially a good set that really only need recoated. But the y-pipe issue is going to be a nightmare in a few months when I'm ready to install.

25th92RS 09-12-2012 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom (Post 5376866)

"sofakingdom", do you happen to know if they'd be a problem anyway with my heads, i have a set of 113 casting L98 Corvette heads that will be going on my motor, is the L98 angle spark plug location going to give me hell with these or other headers as well?

anesthes 09-12-2012 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by 25th92RS (Post 5376211)
I've got a set of SLP shorty headers available to me. The owner couldn't tell me yes or no but I was curious if anyone knows if the stock y-pipe will bolt up to the SLP shorties?

Only looking to use the stock y-pipe because of clearance issues. I've got UMI SFC's on my car and the stock y-pipe barely clears the subframe connectors so any larger or aftermarket pipe may just not fit properly. Normally SLP produces nicely fitting parts that work with the OEM well so I was assuming that they will bolt up just fine but didn't want to jump on them and then be in a situation where they don't. If anyone knows, let me know ASAP. Thanks!

If they are 1 3/4" (verify with calipers) they are worth it. If you didn't want them, I'd buy them. They are fantastic headers.

-- Joe

sofakingdom 09-12-2012 08:19 PM

That, I do not know for sure. It's a problem with some headers, but it depends on the tube routing; it's not generalized to all headers. I don't think so though, just going off of memory.

anesthes 09-12-2012 08:35 PM

If slp's work with AFR heads they will work with a 113 casting. I'm sure *somebody* on here has a set with AFR..

-- Joe

Eagle223usa 09-12-2012 08:47 PM

My car came to me used with them on. 1 3/4's, I coated them with Eastwoods titanium ceramic and I love them. It would be worth it to have a custom Y made for them. These haven't been made in years!

Anti-Venom 09-12-2012 09:17 PM

One of the best things i ever bought for my car. I have 1 3/4"s I bought new when they were still available with the slp y pipe. Fit is awesome.

25th92RS 09-12-2012 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by anesthes (Post 5377412)
If slp's work with AFR heads they will work with a 113 casting. I'm sure *somebody* on here has a set with AFR..

-- Joe

AFR heads come in three different plug angles. Straight, Angle & L98 Angle; it would have to be verified at the L98 angle.

anesthes 09-13-2012 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by 25th92RS (Post 5377578)
AFR heads come in three different plug angles. Straight, Angle & L98 Angle; it would have to be verified at the L98 angle.

True, I just assumed everyone ordered angled #1040 which is an L98 angle.

I don't sell AFR on this forum, but on the forums I do, that is the most popular.

-- Joe

25th92RS 09-13-2012 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by anesthes (Post 5377653)
True, I just assumed everyone ordered angled #1040 which is an L98 angle.

I don't sell AFR on this forum, but on the forums I do, that is the most popular.

-- Joe

Agreed! I think I'm actually going to jump on these headers, if something comes up, i can probably sell them for a little more than what I buy them for. And there's a guy on here I just found who's got a y-pipe for these but I haven't heard anything back from him yet. i can't imagine it would cost much to have a pipe bent up for it either.

anesthes 09-13-2012 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by 25th92RS (Post 5377691)
Agreed! I think I'm actually going to jump on these headers, if something comes up, i can probably sell them for a little more than what I buy them for. And there's a guy on here I just found who's got a y-pipe for these but I haven't heard anything back from him yet. i can't imagine it would cost much to have a pipe bent up for it either.

I was gonna say, I'd probably just make my own y-pipe since the SLP one is 2 1/4". I think someone else recommended cutting the flange off and using a flowmaster ball flange. The opening on the SLP is like 2" and change.

Like I said, if they are 1 3/4" primaries it's a great deal. You just can't get a 1 3/4" shorties anymore, and for guys with less than 300 degrees cam duration that is what you want.

-- Joe

25th92RS 09-13-2012 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by anesthes (Post 5377694)
I was gonna say, I'd probably just make my own y-pipe since the SLP one is 2 1/4". I think someone else recommended cutting the flange off and using a flowmaster ball flange. The opening on the SLP is like 2" and change.

Like I said, if they are 1 3/4" primaries it's a great deal. You just can't get a 1 3/4" shorties anymore, and for guys with less than 300 degrees cam duration that is what you want.

-- Joe

Yeah, these are just going on a 305 so I'm sure 1-5/8" would be alright as well, and I'm running an LT4 HC. The other two headers I was considering were the Hooker 2460's and Dyno Don's. I've only seen the 2460's on one car and it looked like they had clearance issues with the three bolt flange collectors. I'm trying to go for a cheap solution for headers also so 125 bucks sounds good to me! Also, doing all this work to a 305 and then bolt back on the stock manifolds and y-pipe seems like a slight waste of time, but would fit great! haha!

Z28ricer 09-13-2012 11:23 AM

I doubt the L98 plug angle is different than LT1, probably easy to see how the two compare, I had them with my LT1 swap.

Again, chop off the ball flange and install v-band, box of stainless bends from mandrel works and they'll be better than if you had got them with the SLP Y.

//<86TA>\\ 09-13-2012 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Z28ricer (Post 5376587)
For $125, you're stupid if you dont buy them.

The guy that says they dont fit well doesnt know how to install parts, or was trying to install them on his worn out hooptie.

i assume that was directed at me. Sorry but my "hooptie" is nicer than 98 percent of the cars on this board, , so no dice. I design and build my own parts too, i dont just bolt on parts i bought out of the summit catalog.

It is VERY well known the 1 3/4 slp headers will often contact the steering shaft requiring you to dent the tube or try to fudge the column over a little for clearance.

Spark plug clearance for straight plug heads is ok, not great. I have angle plug dart heads and even with short plugs i had to dent 2 tubes quite a bit and io still need sleaves for the wires or the boots will burn.

The flanges were so bad they would never seal. I had to remove them and grind the flanges flat before installing them for the 3rd time before they stopped blowing gaskets and leaking. The center flange had voids over 1/16 deep.

y pipe is decent, but its only 2.25.

They were the only 1 3/4 shorty header on the market, now that Dyno dons are available, and fit so much better, i would rather spend the money on them than the slp's.

However, since they are only 125, if you can make them work its a heck of a deal.

Z28ricer 09-13-2012 04:47 PM

Yes, its well known that if you've got worn out engine mounts the steering shaft is likely to contact the header, you also want to mention moving the column, since you "design and build" your own parts, are you so blind as to rule out tolerances from the manufacturer, when plenty of people install them without issue ?

If you bought a set used, and they werent flat, that could be due to many things, I highly doubt you bought a new set and had that issue.

Spark plug clearance varys with most headers.

Sounds like you have a bunch of complaints that didnt have to do with the headers as originally manufactured for the engine they were designed for.

Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\ (Post 5377936)
i assume that was directed at me. Sorry but my "hooptie" is nicer than 98 percent of the cars on this board, , so no dice. I design and build my own parts too, i dont just bolt on parts i bought out of the summit catalog.

It is VERY well known the 1 3/4 slp headers will often contact the steering shaft requiring you to dent the tube or try to fudge the column over a little for clearance.

Spark plug clearance for straight plug heads is ok, not great. I have angle plug dart heads and even with short plugs i had to dent 2 tubes quite a bit and io still need sleaves for the wires or the boots will burn.

The flanges were so bad they would never seal. I had to remove them and grind the flanges flat before installing them for the 3rd time before they stopped blowing gaskets and leaking. The center flange had voids over 1/16 deep.

y pipe is decent, but its only 2.25.

They were the only 1 3/4 shorty header on the market, now that Dyno dons are available, and fit so much better, i would rather spend the money on them than the slp's.

However, since they are only 125, if you can make them work its a heck of a deal.

//<86TA>\\ 09-13-2012 05:09 PM

your unbelievable.

For your information, they hit the steering shaft with stock mounts AND poly mounts. there is no reason that tube should have been anywhere near the steering shaft. There is tons of room, look at all the other headers out there, they dont have that problem.

I had these headers on 2 different engines, a stock iron headed one and the current aluminum headed one. both had the same issue.

if the headers hit the steering shaft, how else are you supposed to make clearance? dent the tube or move the column a bit. with your magic im sure it will correct itself, but in the real world that dosent work.

i bought the headers from SLP brand new.

never been in an accident, factory k member and engine placement

any more assumptions you care to make?

Originally Posted by Z28ricer (Post 5378056)
Yes, its well known that if you've got worn out engine mounts the steering shaft is likely to contact the header, you also want to mention moving the column, since you "design and build" your own parts, are you so blind as to rule out tolerances from the manufacturer, when plenty of people install them without issue ?

If you bought a set used, and they werent flat, that could be due to many things, I highly doubt you bought a new set and had that issue.

Spark plug clearance varys with most headers.

Sounds like you have a bunch of complaints that didnt have to do with the headers as originally manufactured for the engine they were designed for.

Z28ricer 09-13-2012 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\ (Post 5378067)
your unbelievable.

For your information, they hit the steering shaft with stock mounts AND poly mounts. there is no reason that tube should have been anywhere near the steering shaft. There is tons of room, look at all the other headers out there, they dont have that problem.

I had these headers on 2 different engines, a stock iron headed one and the current aluminum headed one. both had the same issue.

if the headers hit the steering shaft, how else are you supposed to make clearance? dent the tube or move the column a bit. with your magic im sure it will correct itself, but in the real world that dosent work.

Hah, leave it to the guy who cant comprehend, or acknowledge the fact that there have been numerous people that have installed them without any denting of the tube, to call logical questions "assumptions"

:rolleyes:

//<86TA>\\ 09-13-2012 06:01 PM

never said the hit every car, i actually said

It is VERY well known the 1 3/4 slp headers will often contact the steering shaft
Use the search feature, find plenty of other people with the same issues. Seen plenty of these for sale with all kinds of dents too.

i not going to waste my time with you anymore. I offered my experience with these parts, let the OP make the decision.

im done

25th92RS 09-14-2012 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\ (Post 5378106)
never said the hit every car, i actually said

Use the search feature, find plenty of other people with the same issues. Seen plenty of these for sale with all kinds of dents too.

i not going to waste my time with you anymore. I offered my experience with these parts, let the OP make the decision.

im done

Whoa, whoooaaa! Easy there guys! You both make good points and points I did, sort of already assume, but had no experience myself with these particular or any other headers also. My car has never had headers on it. I'm going to buy them as I think it would be dumb of me not to at 125 bucks. These in particular were installed and run pretty hard but have no dents at all in them, so they must have fit pretty well. My car has only been in a slight bender, I hit a curb pretty hard with it last year avoiding an accident, so it could have been worse. But my fenders, hood and door gaps all look rock solid still so I don't think the subframe took any sort of hit, probably thanks to my SFC's. So hopefully these headers fit as well on my car as they did on the last one. Thanks guys for all the help, I'm sure I'll be back for more!

sofakingdom 09-14-2012 07:23 PM

Yes it is ABSOULTELY TRUE that they hit the steering shaft.

Yeah mine hit my steering shaft too.

Took about 3 minutes to fix. Only took that long because it was a hot afternoon and I stopped to pop the top off a cold one about halfway through.

Take out the 3 bolts where this big plate thing on the column fastens to the firewall; a couple of seconds each elongating them about ¼" so that the base of the column could move over; put the screws back in; DONE. One of the easiest and most trivial parts of the installation, actually; took more effort than that just to re-route the plug wires. I certainly wouldn't put that in the class of "doesn't fit".

anesthes 09-14-2012 07:36 PM

Hah. I just bought another set ;).

I gotta stop browsing the forum. My bank account keeps depleting with every post I read.

-- Joe

25th92RS 09-14-2012 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by anesthes (Post 5378939)
Hah. I just bought another set ;).

I gotta stop browsing the forum. My bank account keeps depleting with every post I read.

-- Joe

there was another set available this week? Thanks kinda crazy, so far i'm happy i went through with it. Maybe i won't be in a few months when i'm ready to put them in.

anesthes 09-15-2012 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by 25th92RS (Post 5379100)
there was another set available this week? Thanks kinda crazy, so far i'm happy i went through with it. Maybe i won't be in a few months when i'm ready to put them in.

There is a couple sets for sale on the forum. I bought the 1 3/4".

You did buy the shorty headers, and not the tri-y, right?

-- Joe

Anti-Venom 09-15-2012 09:22 AM

Come to think of it I had to put one tiny little dimple to clear the column. As far as headers go, that's a great fit. People are too anal. That little ding cost me .0001hp! :)

25th92RS 09-15-2012 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by anesthes (Post 5379173)
There is a couple sets for sale on the forum. I bought the 1 3/4".

You did buy the shorty headers, and not the tri-y, right?

-- Joe

Yeah, got the 1-3/4's. They were a local sale here believe it or not, just came across a guy with a 92 Camaro for sale in his yard and I need a few parts for mine so I stopped in and he had a freakin inventory in his garage. No y-pipe, of course though.

anesthes 09-15-2012 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by 25th92RS (Post 5379255)
Yeah, got the 1-3/4's. They were a local sale here believe it or not, just came across a guy with a 92 Camaro for sale in his yard and I need a few parts for mine so I stopped in and he had a freakin inventory in his garage. No y-pipe, of course though.

Y-pipes are easy to fab. On most of the thirdgens I owned, because of the oil pan, or heads I had to end up fabricating a y-pipe anyhow. Either the ports were raised on the heads so the y smashed into the pan, or the pan just didn't have enough room.

On the set I just bought, I'm going to make the y-pipe snake around the transmission.

-- Joe

VincentZ28 09-24-2012 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\ (Post 5378067)
your unbelievable.

Ok here's my 2 cents on this. I currently have SLP 1 3/4 headers. I had them since 2000. They do not hit the steering shaft. To solve that problem without denting the headers, you have to switch the motor mount brackets to the other side. It will move the engine over about a quarter of an inch to the passenger side.

You don't have to dent the headers for spark plug clearence either. Use shorter plugs. I have Trick Flow Heads with angle plugs and all plug boots have clearence. I do agree you may need to put protective covering on some of the plug wires.

The SLP y-pipe is small. Build your own like I did. I had my headers modified with a ball-n-socket 2 3/4in and had a custom two 2 3/4in y-pipe into 3in pipe with 2 3in cats.

They are still the best shorty headers out there. Dyno Dons are the only one that are better than SLP in shorties. His headers has a better overall fit and more up to date.

Oh by the way, use any gaskets that will never blow out like the copper gaskets, aluminum and the gaskets that has the replaceable inserts. Paper gaskets will blow out every time.

8t2 z-chev 09-25-2012 12:01 AM

i have bought two sets of SLP shorties-found parts and materials to be top quality,but assembly quality fair to bad-set i bought ~1995 had fair assembly quality;fit decent(no mods to car or headers needed BTW)but had some sealing problems as flanges were not quite straight to heads.decided to try a 2nd set in 1998 thinking they would have fixed the assembly quality problems by then-3yrs later...Wrong-2nd set had such bad assembly quality they were unusable!-sent those back.Still have the first set and may tweak them into proper fit and reinstall one day as they are superior quality and flow to the headers i have on the car now:)

TTOP350 09-25-2012 05:30 PM

I bought my SLP headers back in 92 and they fit just fine. ( I have a few sets now) No denting this or that.
Like Sofa said, it depends a bit on how the steering colum was installed at the factory. That can pitch the shaft close to the headers.
My set had 0 problems other than when I put on my SSM subframe connectors, Ypipe hit until I modded it a bit..
Thru the years, I put my headers on with my stock heads, aluminum L98s, trick flows and 2 sets of AFRs. I also used the same gaskets that came with the headers on every set of the heads! Yes, I reused them over and over and I still have the gaskets 20yrs later. The proper gaskets will work and last a long time if used properly. (I use felpro (1405on stock stuff) now on all my builds)

anesthes 10-04-2012 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Z28ricer (Post 5376253)
Awesome headers, but yeah you're gonna need a new Y made, i'd suggest having the ball flanges chopped off and go VBand there, bolting up the Y pipe was my only complaint with them.

Do they make stainless vband flanges?

That's actually a pretty good idea. I'm running a y-pipe around the trans, and if I cut the ball off, and angled the cut I could weld the band so the angle sweeps back instead of down towards the pan.

These fit pretty good, but I've got to move my brake lines over a little and probably just push the column over a hair.

-- Joe

Z28ricer 10-04-2012 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by anesthes (Post 5393719)
Do they make stainless vband flanges?

That's actually a pretty good idea. I'm running a y-pipe around the trans, and if I cut the ball off, and angled the cut I could weld the band so the angle sweeps back instead of down towards the pan.

These fit pretty good, but I've got to move my brake lines over a little and probably just push the column over a hair.

-- Joe

They're available off the shelf for everything up to and including Ti and Inconel, I forget what the actual tube OD is off the SLP's, but it shouldnt be too hard to get a measurement and pick which ones to use.

If you want to change which way they're pointing, i'd cut the flange off, weld on a bend pointing it where you want, then the flange, rather than cheating it with an angled cut.

anesthes 10-04-2012 10:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Z28ricer (Post 5393740)
They're available off the shelf for everything up to and including Ti and Inconel, I forget what the actual tube OD is off the SLP's, but it shouldnt be too hard to get a measurement and pick which ones to use.

If you want to change which way they're pointing, i'd cut the flange off, weld on a bend pointing it where you want, then the flange, rather than cheating it with an angled cut.

That is a possibility, I just figured I'd angle the flange and do a bend in the pipe.

Their is enough room between the collector and the bottom of the oil pan (as low as I'd hang the pipe) to run a 2 1/2" pipe with a reasonable radius. I figured if I could get the flange on the header parallel with the ground it would just be a small 90* up.

Now, I could always just leave the socket flange on their, and just have two bends in the down pipe..

-- Joe

The Project 10-08-2012 01:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just picked up a set with the Y pipe. Couldn't pass them up as they had never been used. :)

Gave them a few coats of high temp paint and will coat them next year when I have more money.

Attachment 360804

Ed1LE 01-02-2013 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by VincentZ28 (Post 5386767)
You don't have to dent the headers for spark plug clearence either. Use shorter plugs. I have Trick Flow Heads with angle plugs and all plug boots have clearence. I do agree you may need to put protective covering on some of the plug wires.

Vincent, are you currently running shorter plugs or longer plugs with covers? I have the same combo and wondering if I'd need shorter plugs or not.

Originally Posted by sofakingdom (Post 5378925)
Take out the 3 bolts where this big plate thing on the column fastens to the firewall; a couple of seconds each elongating them about ¼" so that the base of the column could move over; put the screws back in

Sofa, this is a great idea! Mine just touch with the header wrap so this should eliminate tearing up the wrap, vibs in the column, etc.

VincentZ28 01-02-2013 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ed1LE (Post 5455725)
Vincent, are you currently running shorter plugs or longer plugs with covers? I have the same combo and wondering if I'd need shorter plugs or not.

Sofa, this is a great idea! Mine just touch with the header wrap so this should eliminate tearing up the wrap, vibs in the column, etc.

Standard size plugs for my TFS heads. Also the standard AC plugs will work also

anesthes 01-02-2013 04:51 PM

I'm running autolite 3923 / 3924, and mallory 90* plug boots on my angle (l98 angle) AFR heads.

-- Joe

VincentZ28 01-02-2013 06:48 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Here are my MODIFIED SLP Headers
Attachment 356506
Attachment 356508
Attachment 356510
Attachment 356512

TTOP350 01-03-2013 11:45 PM

And of course you guys know both SLP headers use the same size primary tubes right?
I have both types and they have the same tubing coming off the heads.
Just a quick FYI.

VincentZ28 01-04-2013 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by TTOP350 (Post 5456909)
And of course you guys know both SLP headers use the same size primary tubes right?
Just a quick FYI.

What do you mean?

anesthes 01-04-2013 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by TTOP350 (Post 5456909)
Just a quick FYI.

I have heard someone, maybe you, say that before. However, I've now seen both sets measured and they measure out at 1.75 and 1.6..

I don't doubt that some headers left SLP the same size and advertised as something else, but I don't think they all did.

Which size do both your sets measure?

-- Joe

TTOP350 01-04-2013 07:38 AM

I have 2 sets. Tri-Ys from 91 and "1.3/4s" from 92-3ish.
Both measure the same on the primary tubing.
Its hard 2 find a good straight spot to measure because of how and were it was clamped to do the bending.
Mine both measure 1.6 to 1.62ish because of the clamping made them out of round a bit. At no place on my sets does the 1 3/4s measure 1.75.
I have measured many sets and have never found a 1.75 set. Not saying that they weren't made but I haven't seen them.

anesthes 01-04-2013 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by TTOP350 (Post 5457014)
I have 2 sets. Tri-Ys from 91 and "1.3/4s" from 92-3ish.
Both measure the same on the primary tubing.
Its hard 2 find a good straight spot to measure because of how and were it was clamped to do the bending.
Mine both measure 1.6 to 1.62ish because of the clamping made them out of round a bit. At no place on my sets does the 1 3/4s measure 1.75.
I have measured many sets and have never found a 1.75 set. Not saying that they weren't made but I haven't seen them.

I'll see if I can snap a picture when I get home.

The Try-Y' I cannot speak about. I've never had a set and if I did I'd probably throw them away and not admit paying for them :)

-- Joe