Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Exhaust (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/exhaust/)
-   -   Trans crossmember to ground clearance (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/exhaust/702095-trans-crossmember-ground-clearance.html)

anesthes 05-16-2014 06:51 AM

Trans crossmember to ground clearance

On a typical thirdgen, what is the measurement from the transmission crossmember to the ground?

I need to fit my 3" down pipe under the trans crossmember. I don't think I can go over it.

-- Joe

deadbird 05-19-2014 08:30 PM

Re: Trans crossmember to ground clearance

1 Attachment(s)
Factory assembly line height at the frame rail overlap alignment holes is 13.22" (if basic math doesn't fail me... 336mm). The x-member is further back and roughly 1" further from the ground. Assuming datum line refers to assembled ride height, of course...hth

anesthes 05-19-2014 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by deadbird (Post 5766347)
Factory assembly line height at the frame rail overlap alignment holes is 13.22" (if basic math doesn't fail me... 336mm). The x-member is further back and roughly 1" further from the ground. Assuming datum line refers to assembled ride height, of course...hth

Hrmm. Interesting. That would leave me to believe I've got plenty of room to run the pipe under the crossmember.

Thanks!

-- Joe

RedLeader289 05-20-2014 07:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by anesthes (Post 5764871)
On a typical thirdgen, what is the measurement from the transmission crossmember to the ground?

I need to fit my 3" down pipe under the trans crossmember. I don't think I can go over it.

-- Joe

I have true dual 2.5" pipes running under my cross member (and I also have a TH350 trans) The picture should give you a decent idea of how much room you have.

*EDIT* I just realized my car is on ramps in that picture, my bad. Either way, the pipes run flush with the bottom of my deep oil pan (as you can see in the pic). I'd imagine there's plenty of room for the single 3" that you're talking about.

anesthes 05-20-2014 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by RedLeader289 (Post 5766482)
I have true dual 2.5" pipes running under my cross member (and I also have a TH350 trans) The picture should give you a decent idea of how much room you have.

*EDIT* I just realized my car is on ramps in that picture, my bad. Either way, the pipes run flush with the bottom of my deep oil pan (as you can see in the pic). I'd imagine there's plenty of room for the single 3" that you're talking about.

Yeah that looks pretty good. It appears I was worried for nothing. I guess I'll finish up the exhaust tonight.

I'll probably go to twin 2.5" pipes when I switch to twin turbo's next year. Right now I have a single T76 turbo with 3" downpipe.

-- Joe

chevyredneck8 05-22-2014 10:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is a few pics of 3" under the transmission cross member ran yesterday. I've drove 15 miles and almost scrapped through it. Its going to another exhaust shop tomorrow I'm going to to go around the hang down spot on the cross member. Mine are sphoon crossmember but hopefully this gives you and ideal. I'll update what this shop manages to do

anesthes 05-23-2014 04:50 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Looks like that spohn crossmember hangs down way lower than OEM huh?

I stopped here. Gonna finish it this weekend and see where we are at. Might oval the tube under the crossmember.

-- Joe

chevyredneck8 05-23-2014 08:30 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Updated pics with clearance pics coming

anesthes 05-24-2014 10:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
So I cut up the crossmember, and welded some 1/4" channel stock to it. I tucked the pipe as close up as I could.

Seems to have about 6+ inches of ground clearance.

-- Joe

chevyredneck8 06-09-2014 01:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
More clearance measurements

anesthes 06-09-2014 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by chevyredneck8 (Post 5775872)
More clearance measurements

Is that a pit? I haven't seen a pit in a garage in years!

-- Joe

chevyredneck8 06-09-2014 02:25 PM

Yes sir I love the pit especially for engines that pull through the hood its easy to have someone up top and below. Its about impossible to build a new one with all the regulations involved with them now