Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Fabrication (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/fabrication/)
-   -   $3 cup holder that looks perfect (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/fabrication/560396-3-cup-holder-looks.html)

DirtDawg57 02-18-2010 05:39 PM

$3 cup holder that looks perfect

I thought I would share my cup holder fix. It only cost 3 bucks on ebay and I think it looks pretty good. Here is the link to what I got http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Black...Q5fAccessories

I used a dremel to cut the hole.

One cup
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._4006893_n.jpg

+ one hole
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._1468629_n.jpg

= no more trying to hold pop cans with my knees:D

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._1135431_n.jpg
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._5716597_n.jpg

I even put the rubber insert from my 94 camaro in the bottom so it looks even more official. I will warn that pop bottles will not fit. You will probably have to get on that is 3 inches around to use bottles. I normally use pop cans anyway.

Chezoom 02-18-2010 05:41 PM

Re: $3 cup holder that looks perfect

hmmmm i might pick one up

iroc_valencia 02-18-2010 05:41 PM

awesome

ShMaCk2004 02-18-2010 06:03 PM

I would if i wasn't running a 4th gen dash and console

Stephen 02-18-2010 06:06 PM

I've seen that done before & wanted to. I just can't, because of my power mirror switch is right there. If I relocated the switch, sure.

DirtDawg57 02-18-2010 06:45 PM

I just don't understand how you can design a car without cup holders. Its just wrong.

360Iroc 02-18-2010 07:12 PM

I just cant cut mine up... Even the little piece under the column, I made sure I had another before drilling a hole for a switch.

HankL69 02-18-2010 07:22 PM

I agree with 360Iroc. Looks like a great idea but I just can't bring myself to cut a hole in a perfect console. It really looks like it belongs there though.

hellz_wings 02-18-2010 07:39 PM

Wow that really looks awesome!! Why didn't GM think of that?? Great place to put cup holder.. Only thing is that there is only one but that's not a big deal.. I would love to see the useless cigarette ashtray modified to hold cups if that's possible lol.. Anyways :goodjob:

RedRokkit 02-18-2010 07:50 PM

Will it fit a 24oz can?

58mark 02-18-2010 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by hellz_wings (Post 4441689)
Wow that really looks awesome!! Why didn't GM think of that?? Great place to put cup holder.. Only thing is that there is only one but that's not a big deal.. I would love to see the useless cigarette ashtray modified to hold cups if that's possible lol.. Anyways :goodjob:

there'a a tech article that shows you exactly how to do that

DirtDawg57 02-18-2010 09:10 PM

Yeah it was hard to cut it at first but I think it will be way worth it. And it will save a lot of stains on my seats and carpet from spilling drinks. I was actually amazed how good it looks in person sitting next to it. If I had never seen a 3rd gen console I wouldn't even know it was a fabrication.

I don't know about 24oz cans but I think it would fit.

Here is the link.
https://www.thirdgen.org/cupholder

I like it but was concerned that I wouldn't be able to make it look natural enough. And was also a little lazy. At least now even though its only one I'm back to where I was with my 94 camaro.

Drew 02-18-2010 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by DirtDawg57 (Post 4441635)
I just don't understand how you can design a car without cup holders. Its just wrong.

It might be because in 1984, the only cars that had cup holders were minivans and conversion vans. In reality people should be too busy driving and paying attention to the roads to have time for a drink. I've owned more then a few cars without cup holders and it's never really given me any problems.

gregsz-28 02-18-2010 09:19 PM

Why don't GM vehicles ever come with cupholders? I've never owned a vehicle with a cupholder.

Looks good BTW.

DirtDawg57 02-18-2010 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Drew (Post 4441827)
It might be because in 1984, the only cars that had cup holders were minivans and conversion vans. In reality people should be too busy driving and paying attention to the roads to have time for a drink. I've owned more then a few cars without cup holders and it's never really given me any problems.

That was more of a joke not a slam against GM or anything. I don't care and I think people do need to pay more attention to the road. I just like this because it helps me pay attention to the road. I don't have to worry about a can tipping over some where and I don't have to fumble around looking for it. Now I don't even have to take my eyes off the road because I know right where it is.

9014josh 02-18-2010 09:46 PM

That does look cool..although i wouldnt use it..i dont allow any food or drinks in my car unless its water :lol:

matthufham 02-18-2010 10:09 PM

i did the exact same thing to my buddy's but his didn't have a hole in the bottom which works better as a screw holder, change, fuses, whatever. i'd do it to mine but it'd be in the way of the stick.

DirtDawg57 02-18-2010 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by matthufham (Post 4441908)
i did the exact same thing to my buddy's but his didn't have a hole in the bottom which works better as a screw holder, change, fuses, whatever. i'd do it to mine but it'd be in the way of the stick.

That isn't actually a hole its just a round spot. But its covered up by the rubber insert now. I'll have to post a picture with the insert tomorrow.

Norwood 02-19-2010 01:03 PM

That's nice, and I bet you can pop that holder right out so you can hide your "cigarettes" , or whatever.

83 Crossfire TA 02-20-2010 03:03 PM

sure, 4th gens have a cup holder in the same place... it's useless, how do you shift the car with anything bigger than a kid's sippy cup in there? Unless of course having your cup with you is more important than driving when you're in the car.

DirtDawg57 02-20-2010 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by 83 Crossfire TA (Post 4443629)
sure, 4th gens have a cup holder in the same place... it's useless, how do you shift the car with anything bigger than a kid's sippy cup in there? Unless of course having your cup with you is more important than driving when you're in the car.

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._5574183_n.jpg

If you consider this in the way then you probably shouldn't install it. That's my shifter as far back as it goes so normally its not even that close, and I mostly use pop cans so I don't see how its in the way. I don't know any car cup holders that can hold huge cups without them being in the way, unless you want to mount it on the roof.

I'm not twisting any ones arm to do this, if you don't want it, don't. I'm just giving a option for those who are looking for ideas.

I tested to see if I could do the ash tray design but I wouldn't have been able to because my after market radio holder sticks out to far. So this was pretty much my only option.

92RS702 02-20-2010 10:59 PM

I like the way it looks.:thumbsup:

Davidgou 02-20-2010 11:19 PM

I think it looks great! Nice job!

Petey 02-21-2010 01:43 PM

pretty sure its before all the drive-through craze hit and everyone eats in there cars now...the past cars iv had without cup holders were my 1986 nissan pickup,1988 nissan pulsar,1984 vw rabbit gti......but my 90s cars did 1992 dakota and my truck now 1998 dakota.

were just adapting haha

matthufham 02-21-2010 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by DirtDawg57 (Post 4444000)

If you consider this in the way then you probably shouldn't install it. That's my shifter as far back as it goes so normally its not even that close, and I mostly use pop cans so I don't see how its in the way. I don't know any car cup holders that can hold huge cups without them being in the way, unless you want to mount it on the roof.

I'm not twisting any ones arm to do this, if you don't want it, don't. I'm just giving a option for those who are looking for ideas.

I tested to see if I could do the ash tray design but I wouldn't have been able to because my after market radio holder sticks out to far. So this was pretty much my only option.

we (at least I) have manuals, and have to shift not just out of park.

58mark 02-22-2010 06:12 AM

It think it's a nice mod for some people, but I personally would find a can there to be a pain.

I've got another cupholder concept I'm working on... I should have pictures up in a couple days. It's going to be great

chads89ta 02-22-2010 08:04 AM

some camaros had a clock right there, and a dremel is nice tool to have. if you have access to a air compressor use a air body saw, but that was a super easy mod to do . a+ to you

DirtDawg57 02-22-2010 11:25 AM

Manuals would make it more difficult, though I really think its not nearly in the way as it looks on the picture. I really don't even notice its there if its a can. You could also try one of the deeper cupholders that would lower it below the level of the arm rest. Actually in that last picture I could make it sit lower if I didn't have the rubber insert in it.
I'm sure there are even better ideas to be thought up. But if anyone is looking for something quick, easy, and cheap, this one might be good.

camaro_man1994 02-22-2010 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Norwood (Post 4442422)
That's nice, and I bet you can pop that holder right out so you can hide your "cigarettes" , or whatever.

lol awsome design.....and u got the right idea, hide them "cigrettes" from the po po :D

shelby7099 02-22-2010 08:13 PM

Looks great! Too bad for me that I already have something there. I don't have a radio right now so I have been using the hole for a cup holder. Works for fast food plastic cups, lol.

DirtDawg57 02-22-2010 08:30 PM

I just wanted to post so I don't get attacked for false advertising or something that I get the chance to try out a pop bottle today and it didn't fit. It would if I jammed it in there but if you want it to fit nicely you will probably have to go up to the 3 inch circle. They have them on ebay and I think they should still fit in the space fine. Its still fine for me because I mostly use cans and if I have a bottle I don't mind putting it on the seat. But you might mind.

whatever84 02-22-2010 08:53 PM

Looks great!! My G6 GT daily drivers cup holder is more in the way of the shifter then that. If my Camaro was my daily driver I would do that for sure! Nice job.

Mark.

DirtDawg57 02-22-2010 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by whatever84 (Post 4446649)
Looks great!! My G6 GT daily drivers cup holder is more in the way of the shifter then that. If my Camaro was my daily driver I would do that for sure! Nice job.
Mark.

I do have to admit that if mine was an immaculate collectors car I would have a harder time cutting a hole in my console. But for now at least this is my daily driver and sometimes I take long trips and its hard when you don't have a cup holder, even if you use it for other things other then drinks. Still I wanted something clean that didn't look like a fabrication. I think this did pretty well.

58mark 02-22-2010 10:30 PM

here's a link to the cupholder idea I hinted at this morning

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/fabr...cupholder.html

chas0218 02-24-2010 10:52 PM

Im planning on hiding my N2O switchs in there...

86TA4SALE 02-25-2010 05:44 AM

Good job with the mod it looks like it could have been factory installed there. Lay off the "pop" though, because soda is no good for you haha.

In my Trailblazer the factory cupholder sits right where you installed yours. It is directly behind the auto shifter and it doesn't get in my way. Like you said, I wouldn't mind cutting my console, as long as I didn't have a collector. You could always get a replacement at the junk yard or get one to practice on.

~Matt

itsMikey 02-25-2010 04:14 PM

:banned::rolleyes::2cents:

Tobias05 02-25-2010 06:41 PM

looks like quality workmanship on your part so congrats on that but i can't stand console cup holders. i yell at the wife when she tries to stick something in the console of my 99z28. I have to shift that one woman! lol

Stephen 02-25-2010 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tobias05 (Post 4450037)
looks like quality workmanship on your part so congrats on that but i can't stand console cup holders. i yell at the wife when she tries to stick something in the console of my 99z28. I have to shift that one woman! lol

Trade ya my GTA console for your LS1 console? You'd love a cup holder for her to you...I'd gain one....And we'd both be happy! :lol::lol:

Tobias05 02-25-2010 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 4450043)
Trade ya my GTA console for your LS1 console? You'd love a cup holder for her to you...I'd gain one....And we'd both be happy! :lol::lol:

lol, i'll think about it when i go to upgrade my shifter:driving:

BigEd65 04-16-2010 06:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is mine, I did it about a year ago used a 3" hole saw

Attachment 414783

01GPGT 04-17-2010 02:58 AM

dang too bad the rear defroster and rear wiper switch are in the way on the berlinetta's console or i would do this

zenish 08-05-2011 06:31 PM

i did this years ago with an insert from a boat place.i hated it because the cup is right where my elbow should have been.

tylercamaro 08-05-2011 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by zenish (Post 5001282)
i did this years ago with an insert from a boat place.i hated it because the cup is right where my elbow should have been.

:yup: +1

silentkillzr 08-11-2011 12:11 AM

Tis nice for just cruising though, So you dont have to hold crap, my thirdgen rule is and has always been "Bottles" they sit perfect next to your seatbelt in the front..

Jim85IROC 08-15-2011 10:48 AM

If I wasn't one of the fortunate few that has a clock there, I would have done the same thing. Because I'm not willing to cut up my clock console, I need to find an alternate solution.

Thirdgen89GTA 08-15-2011 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by whatever84 (Post 4446649)

Mark.

I agree, my G6 is a 6spd manual and the cup holder location is a pain. to shift the car with a cup there you have to use your fingers with your wrist bent 90*. It works okay but if you wanted or NEEDED to shift fast you couldn't.

SKELITOR117 08-15-2011 01:53 PM

Very nice, I will be getting this.

J91 08-15-2011 03:02 PM

Now you can spill sticky drink stuff on your window, hatch buttons and down the shifter, brilliant! Any car that comes stock w/ a cupholder there, always comes in the shop needing switches or worse, oh well at least they are cheap on third gens. There's a reason there is no cup holder there, how's that can feel on your arm??

Chevy8588 08-15-2011 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by J91 (Post 5010623)
Now you can spill sticky drink stuff on your window, hatch buttons and down the shifter, brilliant! Any car that comes stock w/ a cupholder there, always comes in the shop needing switches or worse, oh well at least they are cheap on third gens. There's a reason there is no cup holder there, how's that can feel on your arm??

agreed, hyundai had a recall cuz so many people were spilling liquids in the cup holders on the center console, it would drip down onto the air bag module, usually shorting it and causing it to fry, occasionally shorting it and causing the air bags to deploy