Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   History / Originality (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/history-originality/)
-   -   WTB, GM antitheft decals or a pic of one (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/history-originality/485224-wtb-gm-antitheft-decals.html)

89RS_82Z 07-20-2008 06:24 PM

WTB, GM antitheft decals or a pic of one

the ainttheft decals on the lower part of the windows that GM had on VATS cars......anyone know how i can find a set of them???

or maybe a pic of one so i can see if my sticker guy can make a set

RPM WOT L 98 07-20-2008 09:42 PM

Re: WTB, GM antitheft decals or a pic of one

Still available from the dealer. At least the later version that says "vehicle and radio anti-theft systems" Same decal just has the extra "radio" in it.

86NiteRider 07-21-2008 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by 89RS_82Z (Post 3829710)
the ainttheft decals on the lower part of the windows that GM had on VATS cars......anyone know how i can find a set of them???

or maybe a pic of one so i can see if my sticker guy can make a set

I had my local vinyl sign shop make me up a set for under $5 in about 5 minutes. Just showed him my old ones and he did theem real quick. Looks brand new.

Sorrry no pic of mine but I am sure someone here can do that part for you.

89RS_82Z 07-21-2008 07:55 PM

COOL.............*BUMP* for pics

AsphaltAssalter 07-21-2008 09:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here ya go buddy, it's a little wore out but this is what came on my 92

Iroctopless 07-22-2008 09:54 AM

Here's a sharp one from my '89 (same year).
PM me and I'll send you a hi-res version (3072 x 979).
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member...8_358_full.jpg

gatorcola 07-22-2008 01:43 PM

So what is the story on the system? I don't believe it was available in 88 - that is unless one considers an ignition lock a theft system.

89RS_82Z 07-22-2008 05:26 PM

its the VATS key, the key with the chip in it

BTW ,AsphaltAssalter & Iroctopless :thanks:

okfoz 07-24-2008 02:15 PM

GTA's starting in 1988 had VATS, and ALL other F-bodies starting in 1989 had the VATS... I have considered adding it to my Yellow car but not gone to far with it...

John

Burnout91 07-24-2008 02:34 PM

My '91 Z28 also has the VIN etched into the rear glass. That may have been done by the dealership though. Don't recall exactly now.
Bill

okfoz 07-24-2008 03:40 PM

The etching of the windows is a Sales gimmick thats suposed to reduce theft... In reality I think all it does is cost the consumer money, there is no way to actually tell that doing that reduces theft. When I bought my rainier the dealer tried pushing it on me to have the antitheft things placed on the car...

Ultimately I guess they could point to statisitcs but if I was a thief I would not go around inspecting the windows before I stole a car... THe DECALS on the windows however may help as it would indicate to any would be thief that this car may be more difficult to steal than the one next to it.

:2cents:

John

Burnout91 07-24-2008 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by okfoz (Post 3834223)
The etching of the windows is a Sales gimmick thats suposed to reduce theft... In reality I think all it does is cost the consumer money, there is no way to actually tell that doing that reduces theft. When I bought my rainier the dealer tried pushing it on me to have the antitheft things placed on the car...

Ultimately I guess they could point to statisitcs but if I was a thief I would not go around inspecting the windows before I stole a car... THe DECALS on the windows however may help as it would indicate to any would be thief that this car may be more difficult to steal than the one next to it.

:2cents:

John

I suppose anything is possible if you.....

I was just adding info; the etching was in place when I first saw the car. Not a salesperson tack-on. You, are adding an opinion:blah: .
Call your :2cents: , raise you a dollar.:cool:
P.S.: The etching came with an additional window decal.
Bill

89RESTO 07-24-2008 08:01 PM

When i bought my iroc in 1985 my insurance company (AAA) etched all my windows and t-tops free of charge and then reduced my premium by a small percentage.

FrankieRider2 07-24-2008 10:04 PM

As John mentioned, some 1988 GTAs came with VATS (not all) and had the above decal affixed to both side windows at the bottom above the weatherstrip. GTAs also had a matching radio anti-theft decal as well, as the cars featured the Delco-Loc radio system.

Iroctopless 07-25-2008 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by gatorcola (Post 3831789)
So what is the story on the system? I don't believe it was available in 88 - that is unless one considers an ignition lock a theft system.

VATS incorparates a simple resistor in the key (1 of about 15 different resister values used). No smart chip used here. The key's resistance is paired with the resistance the ignition is looking more. If they match, then the car will start.

More info is right here . . . https://www.thirdgen.org/vats_passkey_system

:)

89RS_82Z 05-28-2009 08:29 PM

BUMP anyone got any ideas on getting one made, i know its not 100% correct but what about a die cut vinyl sticker

86NiteRider 05-29-2009 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by 89RS_82Z (Post 4172751)
BUMP anyone got any ideas on getting one made, i know its not 100% correct but what about a die cut vinyl sticker

Just go to your sign guy and ask him to make you a copy of the sticker poosted above with the glue on the front so you can install it from the inside.

Thirdgen Ranch 05-29-2009 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Burnout91 (Post 3834455)
I suppose anything is possible if you.....

I was just adding info; the etching was in place when I first saw the car. Not a salesperson tack-on. You, are adding an opinion:blah: .
Call your :2cents: , raise you a dollar.:cool:
P.S.: The etching came with an additional window decal.
Bill

VIN etching on the windows or T-tops was never done by the factory, that's a fact, not an opinion.