Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   History / Originality (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/history-originality/)
-   -   The Wish List,What do you guys want that you can't get (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/history-originality/530503-wish-list-what-do.html)

1Aauto 06-16-2009 12:09 PM

The Wish List,What do you guys want that you can't get

Just wanted to post this up for the thirdgen.org members to post a resto part that you need that's hard to find, or that you just can't get for these thirdgen cars.

We're car enthusiasts over here and like to see your projects restored back to the car they once were when new.

Regards,

Tony:driving:

KnottyBuoyz 06-16-2009 12:30 PM

Re: The Wish List,What do you guys want that you can't get

A few things I haven't been able to locate yet, not that I was looking particularly hard at this point in the project 'cause it's piddly ***'d detail stuff but...... 1. Cigarette lighter. Correct model for an '87 Camaro. 2. Closure spring for the console mounted ash tray. 3. Rear license plate light lenses. Mine are crazed and cracked. 4. A real center console lid, not an overlay, that's not blown out from the frame or split/cracked etc. 5. Metal TPI distributor cover (got a plastic one that looks like sh*t).

I've seen some cig lighters on e-Bay for $20+. I don't need one that bad. The springs I've also see but not for an '87.

Send me a PM if you've got any of these in your inventory.

Thnx.

AmorgetRS 06-16-2009 12:33 PM

Later model Firebird center consoles (85-92). They are such a horrible design I don't think a single one of my cars has a descent one in it. The opening/closing mechanism of the lid breaks and the molded body seperated from the frame.

1Aauto 06-16-2009 12:42 PM

Well if it helps, I also specialize in 79-93 Mustang pieces and the 87-93 console armrest does the same darn thing,so I get where your coming from.

92Z28ZO31LE 06-16-2009 01:57 PM

91-92 TA & GTA taillights. 91-92 Formula front bumpercovers. 91-92 leather wrapped Z28 sterring wheel under 600 bucks.

dust3r 06-16-2009 02:01 PM

I would like the triangular window seals, arm rests reproduced, front fender liners and the cowl vent screen.

daveb123 06-16-2009 04:05 PM

'82 Leather 4-speed shift knob.
'85 L69 "5.0 liter HO" rear bumper emblem.
I know, I'm dreaming!

IROCZ28KevinZ 06-16-2009 04:32 PM

I'll be the first to mention: CONVERTIBLE PARTS!!!! Yes, Hawk's does sell some of the harder to fins stuff now, such as the seat belt caps that go on the quarters, the front bow trim, and the windshield header panel trim. But their prices are outrageous. Make some repro ones, and sell them cheaper. Also, vert weatherstripping. And some other vert-only pieces, like the door jamb "J" trim. Make reproduction emissions decals for ALL years and engines, and also make repro decals for the airbag system, the yellow Caution decal for the vert trunk, and the little "Vehicle protected by anti-theft system" window decals.

I also know that it would be the heat if you could reproduce the 90-92 window switches, hatch release switch, and the coveted vert tonneu cover release switch, all with the little yellow pictures on them. The ones that are out there are, well, overpriced.

Pocket 06-16-2009 05:24 PM

91-92 firebird/TA/GTA parts:

Front fender ground effects - High demand
3 piece air dam correct for the years
Cup holders - High demand
Console lids - High demand
Shift plates, auto and manual
Front turn signals and fog light housings
Front bumper bolt strips
Seatbelt guides
TA/GTA/Formula Whale tail wing

Check out the parts wanted forum and take a tally of what people want over time

charlie31603 06-16-2009 10:51 PM

Seat covers for 82 Recaro Trans Am seats. I need to recover mine and NO ONE sells any kits to recover the Recaro seats. And I don't need to pay someone to install them when I can do it myself. Just need the covers. Adam :-)

92RS(real slow) 06-17-2009 02:07 AM

factory style IROC rocker emblems, none of the others reproductions match font close enough to my liking....and 9 bolt parts:nod:

Jason444 06-17-2009 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Pocket (Post 4192057)
91-92 firebird/TA/GTA parts:

Front fender ground effects - High demand
3 piece air dam correct for the years
Cup holders - High demand
Console lids - High demand
Shift plates, auto and manual
Front turn signals and fog light housings
Front bumper bolt strips
Seatbelt guides
TA/GTA/Formula Whale tail wing

Check out the parts wanted forum and take a tally of what people want over time

I wondered how long it would be before someone brought up the lower GFX for '91-2 TA's. I think that someone could reproduce these and make a small fortune based on the prices that good factory pieces bring on ebay. I am really surprised someone has not done it already....wish I had access to the equipment to do it

two-if-by-sea 06-17-2009 07:06 AM

1) foglight grill for 85-87 Sport Coupe Camaro
2) dual snorkel air cleaner that came on the HO cars

woodyredhead 01-23-2010 10:33 PM

Hi there....I'm looking for a stock radio for my 83 camaro z28..nothing fancy just the one that came with it.. thanks

ROCFATHER 01-23-2010 10:46 PM

FOG LIGHT METAL TRIM!!!! I took my lights off thinking i was going to clean them up when i noticed one was rusted pretty bad and close to falling off. I hate to buy a new set of lights when all i need is that small part!!!

My bracket and lense are in perfect condition. It probably wouldn't cost much to make by an aftermarket company.

paulo57509 01-24-2010 02:05 AM

A decent shift plate that isn't all burned up from cigarettes, has a working lid and isn't all broken to pieces. And doesn't cost an arm, leg and left n_t.

I really don't care how the shift portion looks. I only want to ashtray section to cut off.

58mark 01-24-2010 07:39 AM

You want a challenge? You want to really get people excited and notice you and create some buzz?

Develop a cupholder that can be secured to the console (using existing holes, perhaps an insert into the ashtray or something that hangs off the passenger side)

It could also be something that secures to the bottom side of the dash to the right of the center air vent, and sides out

skinny z 01-24-2010 07:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
IROC steering wheel.

58mark 01-24-2010 07:57 AM

yeah, the steering wheel would be nice, but I bet it would be hard to make for less than $300

Why are repo fog lights so expensive?

L695speed 01-24-2010 08:45 AM

83-84 W62 Aero package parts
B20 Luxury pieces for the earlier cars

That is all I can think of for now. I know that there are a ton of 82-84 specific parts like the window switches that you can't get from anyone. Why does everyone say 82-92 when its not right for half the run?!

firbster 01-24-2010 04:34 PM

replacement sticker for the dual snorkle lid in H.O. cars ...

subroc 01-24-2010 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by AmorgetRS (Post 4191768)
Later model Firebird center consoles (85-92). They are such a horrible design I don't think a single one of my cars has a descent one in it. The opening/closing mechanism of the lid breaks and the molded body seperated from the frame.

PM camaro430sut. He has one for sale still and i kno cause he is storing it in my basement lol.

JamesC 01-24-2010 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by firbster (Post 4411687)
replacement sticker for the dual snorkle lid in H.O. cars ...

Here you go:

http://osborn-reproduction.com/catal...07KEY%3APAR%3A

The above company also makes a 5.7 HO decal.

JamesC

woodyredhead 01-24-2010 05:18 PM

this is a great place to get complete decal's for your camaro or fire bird It's called Phoenix Graphix the number there is 800-941-4550 good hunting

florida_gators 01-24-2010 06:22 PM

DEFINITIVELY an insulator pad for the firewall. No one makes them past 1981. The ones in scrap yards are molded/torn/dry rotted. No one on this website parting out a car has one. Before realizing how hard these would be to find, I tore out my entire interior (carpeting and all) to fix holes in the floor pan. The entire passenger side of my insulator was wet and ruined. I had to throw it out. However, until I find a nice replacement, my interior restoration is at a standstill. My wife is not happy the garage is full of all the interior parts, but she's tolerating it. :lookhere:

jlarsson 01-25-2010 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by florida_gators (Post 4411813)
DEFINITIVELY an insulator pad for the firewall. No one makes them past 1981. The ones in scrap yards are molded/torn/dry rotted. No one on this website parting out a car has one. Before realizing how hard these would be to find, I tore out my entire interior (carpeting and all) to fix holes in the floor pan. The entire passenger side of my insulator was wet and ruined. I had to throw it out. However, until I find a nice replacement, my interior restoration is at a standstill. My wife is not happy the garage is full of all the interior parts, but she's tolerating it. :lookhere:

I got a NOS one I bought way back from GM when still avalible ... kept it in case I needed one for my 89 TTA ... email me @ jlarsson@london.com if you are seriously interested.

TTOP350 01-25-2010 11:28 AM

Oil cooler(s) and lines 1st and 2nd style. plus the A/C and none A/C coolant tubes and molded hoses. how bout a vac hose kit with the correct markings/tags and ribs.

Batt cables w correct ends, plating, markings ect ect. All years Firebird an camaro

I have seen repop window switchs for Firebirds on evil-pay

91-92 firebird parts, high wear/breakable parts plus front and rear body parts

87WS6 01-25-2010 12:20 PM

There are some things that come to mind.

1.) 1985-1992 Firebird/Trans Am center consoles. Reconditioned consoles are rare and expensive. There is no aftermarket reproduction of them either. Basically you either have to suffer with a bad console, patch it back together and suffer with that, or swap to a fourth generation console. Not everyone wants to do that. The same design with superior build quality that lasts longer than the factory console is what I'm asking for. Preferably at a reasonable price.

2.) Interior plastics. It's almost impossible to find these pieces in good shape. When you do they are brittle and extremely fragile. A pillar and T-Top trim plastics are usually no big deal but the body colored plastics are as common as hen's teeth. Door sills, kick panels, headliner trim plastic, sail panels, and most of all cargo area plastics are usually scratched to hell and back. I've got some serviceable pieces for my cars but that's not what I want. I'm never going to use my cars as daily drivers. I want NEW cargo area plastics with a carpeting option. Even when I buy used ones that are supposedly in "like new" condition they aren't. They are always scratched to some degree. It's tough to get scratches out and not screw up the original texture of the plastics. Also painting them is something that is beyond the comfort level of some people. I also don't think that the results are as good as what you'd get with new plastics.

3.) Overhead consoles. Honestly these things are pretty bad when you do find them. They are expensive when they are in good shape. What we honestly need are two options. 1.) A new production overhead console that matches the original in every way. 2.) A new production overhead console of a slightly different design. The rotary calender reminder things date the car badly and I doubt many people use them. I'd like to see these modified to house switches or something along those lines. Also the dome light area needs improvement as the plastic around the dome light is usually broken or melted. The leather pockets have not held up well on most cars after 20 something years.

4.) Seat belts. It's tough to find seatbelts in like new condition. Not everyone wants fourth gen seat belts in their cars either. The fourth gen belts don't always match the colors of our third gen interiors. As these age of course, those will be hard to get in good condition as well.

5.) Dash pad. It would be nice to have a reproduction dash pad that isn't $400+ dollars that will out last the originals.

6.) Leather E-Brake and T-handle shifters. Very hard to find in new condition.

Not everyone is happy with serviceable or "almost" new parts. Some of us want flawless new parts for our cars. If you are building a show car or weekend cruiser, it's getting increasingly difficult to find parts for these cars. Not everyone wants a "custom" look. Some of us want cars that are nearly identical to factory in regard to appearance. I guess this is the perfectionist in me that's ranting right now. Anyway these are the things that I think would help many of us out the most.

hedberg667 01-25-2010 12:23 PM

82-92 wrap around spoiler. not really all that hard to find through hawks but, man is it expensive, i don't think i could see dropping 400 for some fiberglass even if i really do need it

florida_gators 01-25-2010 12:45 PM

This is a very small, but important part that Napa, Autozone, etc, know nothing about...

When the interior is stripped down to the pan, there is a tar substance that goes over the seat belt holes (then the seat belt bolt goes through this tar) so that water cannot come into the car from beneath. I've tried a few different things but nothing seems to work.

IMO, it seems like a lot of restoration companies haven't taken into account that collectors are now stipping down their 82-92s and restoring them.

JamesC 01-25-2010 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by florida_gators (Post 4412678)
When the interior is stripped down to the pan, there is a tar substance that goes over the seat belt holes (then the seat belt bolt goes through this tar) so that water cannot come into the car from beneath. I've tried a few different things but nothing seems to work.

3M automotive strip caulking could work very well, until something better comes along. I purchased mine at CarQuest.

JamesC

pontiacguy1 01-25-2010 01:20 PM

Reproduction Firebird Steering wheel with Airbag (1990-1992). An original wheel that doesn't look like it is 15+ years old is getting hard to find.
Center console lid for Firebird (1990-1992). Firebird plastic door mount cup holders/map pockets AND the little plastic pieces that cover the holes for the mounting screws (1991-1992).

Ground Effects and front fascia for 1991 and 1992 Firebird/Trans Am.
Lexan T-Top glass for later model 3rd gens. MOst of the originals are cracked looking, and I don't want to put the silver looking glass ones on there.

87WS6 01-25-2010 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by pontiacguy1 (Post 4412710)
Reproduction Firebird Steering wheel with Airbag (1990-1992). An original wheel that doesn't look like it is 15+ years old is getting hard to find.

That's true. I hadn't thought of the 1990-1992 airbag steering wheels. I've never seen one in good shape.

Center console lid for Firebird (1990-1992). Firebird plastic door mount cup holders/map pockets AND the little plastic pieces that cover the holes for the mounting screws (1991-1992).

I've found several map pockets over the years that were in good shape. In fact the one in my 1985 and 1987 T/A's are in excellent shape. If you had seen my white car you'd know how amazing it is to find anything in good shape from it. Those cup holders are a bad design. The other part of the problem with them is that they are made from the same crappy brittle plastic that everything else in these cars is made from.

Ground Effects and front fascia for 1991 and 1992 Firebird/Trans Am.
Lexan T-Top glass for later model 3rd gens. MOst of the originals are cracked looking, and I don't want to put the silver looking glass ones on there.

Outside of racing/weight reduction applications I can't see why anyone would want to use the Lexan T-Tops. They warp and don't look too good given enough time. They scratch much more easily than the glass ones do. The glass ones seem to seat better and don't warp. The original ones in every third gen I've ever owned were still in near new condition.

G-reg 01-25-2010 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by paulo57509 (Post 4411102)
A decent shift plate that isn't all burned up from cigarettes, has a working lid and isn't all broken to pieces. And doesn't cost an arm, leg and left n_t.

I'll second this, but specifically for the camaro manual transmission. I've been watching on here and on ebay for 2 months now, every one on here is sold within a day before I can even reply. The ones on ebay are never perfect, either they have cigarette burns in them or they're cracked by the screw holes. Even the broken ones are selling in the 40-60 range. If there was a reproduction piece selling in the $75-$100 range I wouldn't even consider used. I'd think it would be a fairly popular item, include both color stickers for the shift pattern and it would fit all the third gen camaros. Everyone who changes their car to a manual transmission needs one, and I'm sure there are a few people whose cars came with 5 speeds that are looking to replace broken stock ones.

florida_gators 01-25-2010 04:27 PM

Thanks for all the advice. This is a great thread that is helping me w/ issues I've been at a stalemate over recently. Another item is the weather stripping that goes inside the black pillar posts along the sides of the windshield. It appears they are just long strips I can even modify by cutting them out of something and epoxying them on. Being inside the pillars, they do not show, so it is a functional part rather than a show part.

And I second the screw hole covers for the cup holders. Mine being beechwood, this is especially tough.

florida_gators 01-25-2010 04:30 PM

Something I had to fabricate recently were the metal pieces the ground effects "snap" onto along both sides front and back. Mine had rusted away. Not too tough a part to fabricate, but a minor pain that would have been easier just to have bought if I could have found them.

yo soy el warg 01-25-2010 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by florida_gators (Post 4412935)
Something I had to fabricate recently were the metal pieces the ground effects "snap" onto along both sides front and back. Mine had rusted away. Not too tough a part to fabricate, but a minor pain that would have been easier just to have bought if I could have found them.

I bought the part your talking about from Modern Day Muscle. They were GM NOS parts for $16.95 each. I just looked and they still have some available. They are expensive, but do have many parts.

91t-a 01-25-2010 07:33 PM

a new set of 245/50/16 Gatorback tires.

subroc 01-25-2010 07:35 PM

Camaro console clock with a red second hand...good shape and works.

LTL_DMON 01-25-2010 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by AmorgetRS (Post 4191768)

:yup:

Lower GFX for '91-2 TA's
Interior plastic pieces
center console
Dash pad
Locks for doors and hatch that uses the same key
OEM Seats leather and/or cloth
Overhead Console parts

subroc 01-25-2010 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by '85_Tribute (Post 4413148)
:yup:

Lower GFX for '91-2 TA's
Interior plastic pieces
center console
Dash pad
Locks for doors and hatch that uses the same key
OEM Seats leather and/or cloth
Overhead Console parts

Have firebird center console sitting in my basement. Either send me or Camaro430sut a pm. There are pictures in the for sale forum buried somewhere.

19Chevrolet84 01-25-2010 08:33 PM

New Disc Rear with 3.73 Rear.
Aluminum Driveshaft.
New C5 of C6 Front brakes.
Dynamatt.
Memphis MOJO Sub + 1500W Amp.
17" Vette Wheels.
New Headlights.
Rear Hatch Leuvers.
Black Interior.
Most of All, a 5 Speed Camaro!
But the list goes on.

Drew 01-25-2010 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by 19Chevrolet84 (Post 4413203)
New Disc Rear with 3.73 Rear.
Aluminum Driveshaft.
New C5 of C6 Front brakes.
Dynamatt.
Memphis MOJO Sub + 1500W Amp.
17" Vette Wheels.
New Headlights.
Rear Hatch Leuvers.
Black Interior.
Most of All, a 5 Speed Camaro!
But the list goes on.

How are any of those restoration parts?
Is the OP even following this thread anymore? Until a few days ago this thread had been idle since June. :huh:

aarivers 01-26-2010 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by florida_gators (Post 4411813)

Tell me about it. I just liberated one from a junk yard a couple days ago after throwing my old one out about 6 months ago. I will be making a template of the rubber mat, stripping off the jute padding and replacing the old mildewed stuff with new jute padding on the old rubber backing. I would be happy to send you a copy of the template so you can make your own pad. Since it's not a molded piece but flat, you could take a 1/8" rubber mat for the backing along with new jute padding to make your own, the upper jute padding has no rubber back so it will just need to be cut out.

1982TA 01-26-2010 11:41 AM

I too would like some Recaro seat covers to be made...I can get them recovered, but would be nice to have some already made covers.

correct 1982 cloth material in charcoal
arrowhead emblems that fit the bowling ball hubcaps
correct lower stripe decals (phoenix graphics are good, but not one piece like factory)
window triangles
console lid
rear RUBBER floor mat in charcoal
front seatbelt retractrs that aren't faded
door panel plastic trim that isn't cracked
fender vent's that dont have broken tabs and correct metal clips
CFI hood scoop
cowl screen
side door/fender molding (metal not plastic)
recaro seat release knobs

Z80 spoiler

87WS6 01-26-2010 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by 1982TA (Post 4413933)
I too would like some Recaro seat covers to be made...I can get them recovered, but would be nice to have some already made covers.

correct 1982 cloth material in charcoal
arrowhead emblems that fit the bowling ball hubcaps
correct lower stripe decals (phoenix graphics are good, but not one piece like factory)
window triangles
console lid
rear RUBBER floor mat in charcoal
front seatbelt retractrs that aren't faded
door panel plastic trim that isn't cracked
fender vent's that dont have broken tabs and correct metal clips
CFI hood scoop
cowl screen
side door/fender molding (metal not plastic)
recaro seat release knobs

Z80 spoiler

That reminds me. I need a Recaro seat release knob as well.

firbster 01-26-2010 04:24 PM

dammmmm this thread is working for me already .. 2 ordered.. now i can restore the air cleaner and not feel bad about it ..thanks james..

firbster 01-26-2010 04:34 PM

its to bad this never came up before .. i have seen a few of these parts at the wreckers here.. i KNOW there was a mint shift plate .. i didnt grab it because mines mint andf i thought i would never need it .. and it had the clock .. no idea if the clock worked but the stuff was mint .. i grabed the dash pad and console pad only because i know a buddy that had one of thses cars back in the 80's and his were crap..yes im new to these cars..but im learning fast ./. i will shoot out and see if those parts are still there..

Drew 01-26-2010 05:09 PM

Don't get too excited. You can get in the habit of stockpiling hard to find parts, or even parts in general and end up with a shed full of parts without buyers. For every one person that will pay the price for something that isn't easy to find, you'll get 50 low balling scumbags wasting your time. I've thrown away all kinds of thirdgen parts, and I've all but stopped listing other parts, because everyone wants something for nothing.

92RS_Ttop 01-26-2010 05:50 PM

90-92 front spoiler
IROC hood louvers
Window switches

I'm sure I can think of more in time.