Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Interior (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/interior/)
-   -   head rest removal (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/interior/550913-head-rest-removal.html)

greatpumpkin_68 11-26-2009 09:55 PM

head rest removal

i know this is probably a stupid question.. but i have an 87 iroc and was wondering how you get the head rests to slide up completely out of the seat?? it doesn't look like there is a button to push or anything like that and the things just wont come out. any info would be greatly appreciated.

Al Hasse 11-26-2009 10:28 PM

Re: head rest removal

I just did this on my 89 RS as I'm getting ready to re-cover the seats. You need a long, flat, flexible tool to slide down the front side of the headrest bar. This will keep a button from dropping int the hole of the bar, and you can slide it out. I used a hacksaw blade and slid it down in there, took a couple of tries to keep it in the center of the bar, but it did the trick.

greatpumpkin_68 11-27-2009 10:57 AM

thanks a million! i am getting ready to head out to the garage and try this.. i'll let you know how it works out for me!

greatpumpkin_68 11-27-2009 07:05 PM

i straightened out a big hose clamp and slid that down in there. it worked like a charm! thanks again!

gearhead4 12-28-2009 01:22 AM

Wow thanks this was kicking my butt. My son will think I am a genius…..well for a minute anyway.

Al Hasse 12-28-2009 11:56 AM

Pretty easy, I watched the upholstery guy I had do my other car remove the headrests from the seats. I thought it was going to be alot harder until I actually took the first one off :lol:

torque_is_good 12-30-2010 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by greatpumpkin_68 (Post 4355708)
i know this is probably a stupid question.. but i have an 87 iroc and was wondering how you get the head rests to slide up completely out of the seat?? it doesn't look like there is a button to push or anything like that and the things just wont come out. any info would be greatly appreciated.

I just re-did mine about a month ago. I used a feeler gauge. Slide it dead center of the metal post, in the front. As the headrest is pulled up it will continue to slide upward

the feeler gauge was long enough to do the job

84 1LE 01-01-2011 01:14 PM

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/inte...headrests.html

dg465 01-27-2011 09:01 AM

I got a starter shim pack from napa. tride the hacksaw blade and couldnt get it centered enough. pretty easy once you figure it out.

mantaguy 01-27-2011 04:32 PM

How about the leaver that that releases the back of the seat to make it fold down,what tool do you use.
Thanks for asking,I didn't know either.

dg465 01-28-2011 06:12 AM

let me check the book later and will get back with you.

dg465 02-03-2011 08:53 AM

okay now i got hte head rest off the seat, how do i finish getting the upholst off? Ive "opened" the bottom by flipping the plastic tab. do i have to rip the seam or what?

torque_is_good 02-03-2011 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by dg465 (Post 4810339)
okay now i got hte head rest off the seat, how do i finish getting the upholst off? Ive "opened" the bottom by flipping the plastic tab. do i have to rip the seam or what?

do you mean for the headreast? The covering is probably stuck where the seatbelt clip was. The cover will slip off, just pull and tug. Or, break out the utility knife. It's like removing an old exhaust, why undo bolts if you aren't going to re-use it? Break out the sawzall. The same with the headrest cover, use the utility knife if it won't slip off.

pontiacdog 06-15-2013 10:21 AM

I'm trying to do the saw blade trick on my '86 trans am seats but it doesn't seem to work even though it's centered in the middle.
It's a very long blade and it just stops at some point no matter how hard I shove it in there.

sonjaab 06-15-2013 11:18 AM

Put the headrest in a full pulled up position.
Side the saw blade into place on the headrest support bar.
Push the headrest and blade down together and that should
trip the release button.

July07 09-01-2017 06:07 PM

This worked perfect for me, Thank you