Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Interior (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/interior/)
-   -   Custom Digital Cluster (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/interior/586727-custom-digital-cluster.html)

pwdbychevy 09-07-2010 05:40 PM

Custom Digital Cluster

4 Attachment(s)
Ok yall some of us has done this mod already so I thought I would share my version. The panel I'm using is made of plexiglas and I used an adjustable hole cutter to make the holes for the gauges. The gauges I will be using are Autometer's Cobalt Digital gauge line. Fuel, Volts, Oil, Water Temp, Tach and Speedo. Tach and Speedo are 3 3/8" and all the others are 2 1/16". So far so good. I'll keep posting pics on the progress.

Attachment 406556
Attachment 406557
Attachment 406558
Attachment 406559

X-Ravin 09-08-2010 01:07 PM

Re: Custom Digital Cluster

Excited to see the results, there's not much love for our 90's clusters out there when it comes to replacements and upgrades. I plan to replace my gauges with LCD panels and leave the stock overlay, but I'm already working on something else so that will be waiting for a few months.

pwdbychevy 09-11-2010 06:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's an update. Got the gauges mounted and the cluster is finished. Now comes the wiring. The 2nd pic is material I removed from the housing to get the gauges to fit.

Attachment 406362
Attachment 406363

92z28camarokid 09-14-2010 12:09 AM

Im just gunna say all the stuff you have done to your car is been amazing, I think it was your headlights that originally caught my attention. I would also like to thank you for introducing me to this site, I think I was just getting into thirdgens and you commented on my cardomain and gave me the site. Its been an endless source of knowledge and I just wanted to say thanks for takin the time to give me the site. Right now I am doing a digital gauge conversion in my car so i look forward to see how yours turns out

Thanks again
-Coltin

pwdbychevy 09-14-2010 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by 92z28camarokid (Post 4672676)
Im just gunna say all the stuff you have done to your car is been amazing, I think it was your headlights that originally caught my attention. I would also like to thank you for introducing me to this site, I think I was just getting into thirdgens and you commented on my cardomain and gave me the site. Its been an endless source of knowledge and I just wanted to say thanks for takin the time to give me the site. Right now I am doing a digital gauge conversion in my car so i look forward to see how yours turns out

Thanks again
-Coltin

No problem. Alot of my ideas and knowledge of 3rd gen Camaros came from this site. I should be done with my conversion soon.

pwdbychevy 10-04-2010 07:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Ok guys and gals here's the final product. It was a PITA as far as wiring goes but was well worth it. I kept my brake warning light, service engine soon light and turn signals. The rest I have no use for. Enjoy.

Attachment 405007
Attachment 405008
Attachment 405009

JTNKTZ 10-04-2010 08:46 PM

Sexxxxxxxxxxxi!!! What are yeah gonna do with the monster tach? Lol

Brendan91Z 10-04-2010 08:49 PM

Dude that looks sick as hell... How bad was it to wire up? Im thinking about doing this with my 91Z and why kind of bit did you use to cut the plexi??

pwdbychevy 10-04-2010 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Brendan91Z (Post 4694356)
Dude that looks sick as hell... How bad was it to wire up? Im thinking about doing this with my 91Z and why kind of bit did you use to cut the plexi??

Thanks. The bit I used is an adjustable t-shaped bit that I bought on ebay for about 10 bucks. It worked like a charm. The wiring itself for me wasn't hard since I'm pretty handy when it comes to electrical work but it was alot of kneeling and back breaking to get under the dash that killed me. This site was a BIG help as far as wiring diagrams go http://www.austinthirdgen.org/index.php?pid=19

Brendan91Z 10-04-2010 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by pwdbychevy (Post 4694397)
Thanks. The bit I used is an adjustable t-shaped bit that I bought on ebay for about 10 bucks. It worked like a charm. The wiring itself for me wasn't hard since I'm pretty handy when it comes to electrical work but it was alot of kneeling and back breaking to get under the dash that killed me. This site was a BIG help as far as wiring diagrams go http://www.austinthirdgen.org/index.php?pid=19

Thanks yea I was curious cause I have some wiring experience and thinking maybe of taking a crack at it. Thanks for the link! And sick car Ive seen your pics around and I like your work

RubberDucky 10-04-2010 09:22 PM

Looks great! How much did it run you?

MSRed91Camaro 10-04-2010 09:38 PM

Awsome idea

Bungle 10-05-2010 12:17 AM

Thats awesome... thinking of buying a second hand gauge pod to try that with..

Any chance of you writing a how to? for those of us that are not that experienced with electrics?

Also did you you the stock senders for the various gauges or did you replace them too?

Cheers

pwdbychevy 10-05-2010 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by RubberDucky (Post 4694419)
Looks great! How much did it run you?

Thanks yall. The gauges themselves cost $780 on ebay but with a $60 Autometer rebate on one of the gauges it came out to $720.00. The led lights were a few bucks at Radioshack. I had a piece of plexiglass laying around from when I made headlight covers so that was nothing and the rest was blood, sweat and tears :D

Originally Posted by Bungle (Post 4694612)
Thats awesome... thinking of buying a second hand gauge pod to try that with..

Any chance of you writing a how to? for those of us that are not that experienced with electrics?

Also did you you the stock senders for the various gauges or did you replace them too?

Cheers

The oil pressure gauge and water temp came with their own senders that you have to use. I mounted the oil sender inline in the oil cooler lines and the water temp sender I put in place of the stock sender on the driver side head. As far as doing a how-to write up there is alot of stuff to remember and write down (probing for wires, reading schematics, figuring out why my horn doesn't work now)so if I get a chance I'll try to do one.

1Aauto 10-05-2010 01:46 PM

Ok I think I know what the next Mustang mod is:D......that really came out awesome.

pwdbychevy 10-06-2010 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by 1ATony (Post 4695022)
Ok I think I know what the next Mustang mod is:D......that really came out awesome.

Thanks!

1Aauto 10-06-2010 09:23 AM

Here's a question for you, how do guys at shows wire those gauges up to stay on while the car is off?

Did it say in the instructions at all.I'll walk by a car at the World of Wheels and the car will be off but all the gauges will be lit up doing their thing. Probably a toggle with a power source.

Wasn't sure if any of yah have done this at all.

pwdbychevy 10-06-2010 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by 1ATony (Post 4695805)
Here's a question for you, how do guys at shows wire those gauges up to stay on while the car is off?

Did it say in the instructions at all.I'll walk by a car at the World of Wheels and the car will be off but all the gauges will be lit up doing their thing. Probably a toggle with a power source.

Wasn't sure if any of yah have done this at all.

They just hook up the power wire straight into a constant source via a toggle switch like you said.

1Aauto 10-06-2010 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by pwdbychevy (Post 4695812)
They just hook up the power wire straight into a constant source via a toggle switch like you said.

That's pretty much what I figured, I've wired many things in my day...lol

nalong87 10-07-2010 01:44 PM

Love the look I have an older 3rd Gen with cable speedo is there any way to convert it to digital or do i have to stay with the cable

pwdbychevy 10-07-2010 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by nalong87 (Post 4696985)
Love the look I have an older 3rd Gen with cable speedo is there any way to convert it to digital or do i have to stay with the cable

To use these gauges u would need a vehicle speed sensor.

J_Makk z28 10-13-2010 10:45 PM

:goodidea: