Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Interior (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/interior/)
-   -   Shifter boot clip (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/interior/645188-shifter-boot-clip.html)

Damon23 03-15-2012 06:22 PM

Shifter boot clip

Can anyone point me to where I can get the clip to hold the boot of the shifter on a 5 speed up? Mine sags down and you can see the metal on the shifter. I want to make it right.

Thanks.

JamesC 03-15-2012 06:33 PM

Re: Shifter boot clip

Originally Posted by Damon23 (Post 5213501)
Can anyone point me to where I can get the clip to hold the boot of the shifter on a 5 speed up? Mine sags down and you can see the metal on the shifter. I want to make it right.

It's a small mound-shaped rubber piece that slips over the shifter and rests on the shifter's shoulder.

You might consider our site's classifieds.

EDIT (again): Often when the boot is removed, the rubber piece comes off the lever and drops into the cavity below. You might take a peek. If you're fortunate, it'll jump up and say hello.

JamesC

Damon23 03-15-2012 07:01 PM

I had the console cover off and looked down in there and did'nt see it. I will check the ads. Do you or anyone have a picture of this piece and how it installs?

And how do you remove the shifter knob?

JamesC 03-15-2012 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Damon23 (Post 5213541)
I had the console cover off and looked down in there and did'nt see it. I will check the ads. Do you or anyone have a picture of this piece and how it installs?

Sorry, no pic. Install is simple: Remove the shifter knob and boot from shift lever. Slip the donut (really mound shaped) over the shift lever and push down until it rests on the lever's should (or small lip). Reverse procedure.

JamesC

henryd3 03-15-2012 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Damon23 (Post 5213541)

And how do you remove the shifter knob?

Unscrew counter-clockwise

BlackenedBird 03-15-2012 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by henryd3 (Post 5213687)
Unscrew counter-clockwise

Pull the shift lever all the way back to 1st gear. Look at the very front of the shift knob just above the shift. You will see/feel a small slot. Use needle nosed pliers to reach in & grab the clip to pull it out.

JamesC 03-15-2012 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by BlackenedBird (Post 5213692)
Pull the shift lever all the way back to 1st gear. Look at the very front of the shift knob just above the shift. You will see/feel a small slot. Use needle nosed pliers to reach in & grab the clip to pull it out.

The T-5 knob simply unscrews. There is no clip.

JamesC

BlackenedBird 03-15-2012 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by JamesC (Post 5213708)
The T-5 knob simply unscrews. There is no clip.

JamesC

Yeah. I was thinking Auto as most people wouldn't have had to ask how to untwist something & never looked to see what tranny he had.

Damon23 03-16-2012 06:58 AM

Thanks guys. That was not easy. I see where that rubber piece was and I looked all around and it is gone. I'll find one. Now to find a better looking shifter knob. Mine is like most, leather worn on top.

Dmans85 03-21-2012 09:10 PM

I went a found some kind of rubber washer at the local hardware store, drilled it out a bit and pushed it on. Works like a charm and holds the boot tightly up to the top

6SIX6 03-23-2012 10:11 AM

I used a zip tie instead of the rubber piece as I never had the ruber piece and its worked so far with no issues at keeping the boot up