Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Members Camaros (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/members-camaros/)
-   -   How did you get into your Camaro/Firebird? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/members-camaros/497917-how-did-you-get.html)

1piece@atime 11-10-2008 10:13 AM

Re: How did you get into your Camaro/Firebird?

Originally Posted by jrhaus76 (Post 3944089)
Do you have any pics of the red T/A before and after? The next third gen I am thinking of buying is a red T/A. I really like the red with the silver gfx.

I have some before's I can scan. This was before the digital revolution. I need to find the negatives and get some more before pics printed. The attorney generals office took the best one's I had and used them in the lawsuit that resulted from the accident. And getting a current pic is no problem. Maybe tonight.

hectre13 11-10-2008 02:11 PM

My Story isn't nearly as awesome as all of your stories, but here I go.

Since I was young, I've always was really big into cars, even though I couldn't really tell you much about them, my favorite car growing up as a kid was a 69 Camaro, as I grew older My love for cars has only increased, I know a lot of you were saying how your dad's cars influenced your tastes on cars, my dad had old crappy pickup trucks, and nasty little ford fuel economy vehicles.

my brother had a crappy olds cutlass that he dropped a 350 in, which probably really got me going with cars, he gave me the car, but when an unexpected baby came in his life.. lol.. he had to sell it because he needed the cash..

in highschool, a couple of my buddies had thirdgens, one of them was 1992 25th anniversary z28 camaro, it was that green/blue looking color, i really loved that car, everytime i seen him, he told me that hed let me drive it, it never happend.. he wraped it around a pole.. it made me very sad.

My other buddy had a trans am formula, or something, not exactly sure, i just remember him lighting thos tires up, and that car kicked sideway, I told myself i was going to own one.

so a couple years ago I was searching to find myself a camaro, I was randomly at my girlfriend's grandma's house.. i noticed this blue car sitting in his drive way, couldn't really tell what it was at first, i decided to go and get a closer look, to my surprise there was a light blue camaro sitting in his driveway, the paint was faded, but i fell in love instantly, I went and knocked on the door and asked him about the car, he showed me the car it was an 83 sports coupe camaro, came with the 2.8l v6 and 3 speed trans, which neither of which where in the car, he took them out to fix them or something like that.

I asked him how much he wanted for the car, he told me 1000 bucks, i told him that was too much, he dropped it to 800, then to 500, i told him that it was still too much, he told me he was firm on that price, i told him thanks anyways, my girlfriends gradma had called the cops on this guy so many times before about this car, she called them again, they told him he had to get rid of the car or pay a fine, so he called me back up and told me he'd sell the car for 300 bucks.

came and got it the next day. the car has been so much trouble and so many headaches, but I can't say at any point that I have ever regretted my choice on buying this car, it's an ongoing project, and I hope i never get rid of it.

I also hope some day my kids see this car, and it turns them onto cars also.

avro206 11-10-2008 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by jrhaus76 (Post 3944089)
Do you have any pics of the red T/A before and after? The next third gen I am thinking of buying is a red T/A. I really like the red with the silver gfx.

X2 I much perfer Trans Ams with silver GFX (red, blue, black) over body coloured GFX. These days they are few and far between

1piece@atime 11-10-2008 08:42 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics of my car that I wrote about above. They aren't the best pics and it could use a wash job but you get the idea. I used the 84 firebird body, stripped it down to a shell, painted it inside and rebuilt it with all the 86 T/A parts plus some from one of the 85 T/A's and of course some new parts.
Attachment 440562
Attachment 440563

Attachment 440564
Attachment 440565

1piece@atime 11-10-2008 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by avro206 (Post 3944664)
X2 I much perfer Trans Ams with silver GFX (red, blue, black) over body coloured GFX. These days they are few and far between

Back in 86 mine was one of the first I had seen all one color. Back in the day all of the cars were 2-tone with the wide stripe. I still like this one best.

Curtisyz54 11-10-2008 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by 1piece@atime (Post 3944853)
Back in 86 mine was one of the first I had seen all one color. Back in the day all of the cars were 2-tone with the wide stripe. I still like this one best.

so actuly your car is like a 84? But you made it like the 86, and im guessing you used the 86 cars vin.

1piece@atime 11-10-2008 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Curtisyz54 (Post 3944923)
so actuly your car is like a 84? But you made it like the 86, and im guessing you used the 86 cars vin.

Actually it looks like an 85 but has all 86 parts and an 84 vin. Cheaper insurance and license fees. But the emissions inspection station workers look at it funny when the vin says it's a 4 banger. They do a double take but never ask... lol. Like I think they can count to 8 anyway!
I still have the vin plate and the paperwork ... Maybe I should change it.

Aarons92Maro 11-13-2008 09:59 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Amazing cars you guys... nice seeing them kept close to (or original). I decided at age 11 that my dream car was a 1992 Camaro RS. I loved the one's with the Z28 rims and the handling package (F41 as I later found out), and T-tops were a must. Every day, I would search the internet for pictures of third generation Camaro's, Iroc-z's, the RS's, the Z28's, you name it, I had looked it up. I could practically tell you the exact number of each that were made! I was always watching videos of them (on this site :) before I discovered YouTube).

Well the years went by and I soon found myself becoming a fourth gen man. I wanted an LT1 Z28... I liked the looks (not as much as the third gens) and a 275hp V8 sounded pretty nice to me for about $3,000 dollars! Anyway, I got my first job at a local grocery store at age 16, and worked there for three or four months before I transfered to an Ace Hardware, luckily that was even closer to where I lived! I had been working for about five or six months when I started to notice a teal 1991 Camaro RS in a parking lot every day on my way to work. It had T-tops, was in good shape, and seemed to be loaded.

A couple months went by, and still, everyday, that teal '91 RS was parked outside of that pet shop by Ace. I was still set on an LT1 Camaro, but one day, I found myself bored and I walked into the pet store where the Camaro was and I asked the cashiers who's car it was. They pointed me right in the direction of the owner, a dog groomer named Mary. It was sort of awkward at first but we started talking and it didn't take long for me to notice that she is TOTALLY in love with her car. But even knowing, that, I popped the question... "what do you think you'd sell if for if you had to?" She wouldn't tell me that, and I walked home. I met with her a couple more times, and she lead me on to be mildly interested in selling her car, for the right price.

I started to get discouraged, but that car was in my dreams all day and all night. Every day, I went to work, and looked at that car, knowing that I was on my way to making more money so I could possibly be it's next owner, until one day, I was looking on eBay Motors, I stumbled across a teal 1992 Camaro in Orlando, Florida. I knew my parents (I'm 17) would not approve of buying a car that far away, but I called the dealer listing it just to find out more about it. The car looked to be in excellent condition, there were tons of pictures, inside and out, even the engine looked great and clean! The interior was spotless, exterior looked to be the same, with the exception of a chip in the front grill, and a crack in the front spoiler. The owner of the dealership told me that the car was great, and I'd love it! I was so excited... I was jumping out of my skin! It was just like the one I had been dreaming about. That night, I talked to my parents, annoyed the hell out of them... they wouldn't budge. Just like I thought. Until two days later... they called the dealership up! And the next thing I know, I'm signing contracts and making a wire transfer for $2,200 (good deal, right???) to the dealership! That was probably the best day of my life... buying that car.

All the relatives were notified that I had finally bought that Camaro I had been talking about for six years... it was finally mine!

The car was shipped to Wisconsin by someone nearby that we contracted, and arrived about a month and a half after the purchase.

Another great day... I finally had my car, $3,200 dollars later!

Unfortunately... the car wasn't exactly as good of a runner as the dealership told me. It had a bad fuel pump, ran on seven cylinders, had a carbuerator (they just put one on, and hoped it would run), bad spark plug wires, the headlights didn't work (switch pulled right out of the dash!) the exhaust was rusted through, and had leaks in it all the way from the engine, the fuses kept blowing, the car had no gas guage, idled at 3,000 rpm (and jumped a couple feet when you put it in drive), killed regularly... it was a disaster! I was burned... that a**hole at the dealership told me that it ran and drove great, had no problems, and that $2,200 was a gift of a price. He probably got it for FREE. Obviously, if they couldn't sell it in Florida, there's a BIG problem!!! The interior is in excellent condition... (thank God!), but the exterior will need a paint job. It's two different colors... it's hard to tell, but after a while I noticed it!

Well... after racking up hundreds in towing bills, and over $1,500 in small, and large repairs... the car drives! It's now a TBI car, has a brand-new Flowmaster 80 series cat-back, has all the interior lights, and headlights, door locks, power windows working. It runs good, but the last owners, as we found out, crossed a lot of wires and messed up the timing for the TBI's computer. It's been fixed over and over again, and the timing goes to hell every time, so it'll need to have a distributor put in it.

Eventually, I'll be putting an Iroc-z swap in it. A friend has one from his old '88 Iroc (305 TPI) with redone valve seals (the Iroc's were famous for those going and making a lot of smoke), a 700R4 tranny and the computer for all of it! It's got 70,000 adult driven miles on it. It was totaled three years ago, luckily everything he has from it is all undamaged. I have already bought his T-tops (mine were painted black) from him, and I plan on buying a lot more! It's a shame that car was totaled, that Iroc-z was immaculate! Cleanest I had ever seen, but luckily it's death will be very useful for my lemonly third gen!

Next year I'll be fixing all the little annoying things, installing a working sound system (the deck is so old it doesn't work on mine), putting new tires on it, an Iroc-z motor, tranny and computer, LT1 aluminum heads, a roller cam, roller lifters, intake runners, headers and a chip for some serious performance!

The year after will be used to repaint the car in the original dark teal color, refurbish the rims... every last little detail will be taken care of. The goal for my Camaro is for it to be restored to what it looked like the day it drove off the dealer lot, except with much more performance. And I need to be able to beat the new Camaro's. :) Luckily there's not a bit of rust anywhere, and the body and interior need so little work, it's almost unbelieveable. The only BIG problems were the most expensive ones, the motor, and all the electrical problems. I'll keep you all updated.

Here's some pics!

Attachment 440478

Attachment 440479

Attachment 440480

Attachment 440481

Attachment 440482

Attachment 440483

Attachment 440484

Attachment 440485

Aarons92Maro 11-13-2008 10:15 PM

Despite that car taking me to hell and back, I love it to death. Everyone I know says I should unload it onto someone esle! I can't wait to finish the car, I just ordered a new dash pad and the parking lamps for it!

84z350crate 11-14-2008 01:35 AM

Great stories s far..... now its my turn,

Growing up in the 80's, this was probably one of the flashiest, sportiest, bodystyles around at the time, I remember someone that lived down the street from me had a red iroc z and I when I played outside I would always see this car driving up the street and I would just watch its every move until it was out of sight.

I'm not sure what else attracted me to third gens
although I did watch knight rider every week with my Grandma when I was a kid

Fast forward- I'm 16 and start to search for my first car with my Dad.

The first car I looked at was a mid 80's black firebird that had pink airbrushing on it and the interior was all ripped and dirty. We walked away from that one.

The second fbody I found in the paper was a 91 firebird formula. Again I went to check it out with my Dad. A young girl showed the car saying it was her Dad's car and that he passed away, and that he always took good care of it and garaged it. It was that teal color and I was in love. It was flawless except for a 2" rip in the driver's seat. I test drove the car with only my permit. lol
I wanted the car soo bad but my dad wouldn't let it happen because it had a 5.7 and he thought it was too much power for my first car.

3rd car 84z28 black and gold

We are on our way home from the mall and I spot this guy just pulling the car onto his front lawn. I figure it's about to go out for sale and we go back and stop there to c it.

84z350crate 11-14-2008 02:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
cont
so the car was still wet from just being washed and it was really clean. It was an older man's car and he was in his late 50's. The car only had 64k on it. The condition of the car impressed my dad. We left without buying it but told the guy that we were really interested and told him we would come back in two days and he pulled it off his lawn for us.Turned out the car was my friends uncles, went back a few days later and bought it. I was so happy!
I bought it a car cover and started garaging it. I did small audio upgrades with my friend. new head unit and speakers, I drove it with my permit until the my 17th bd and I will never forget how good it felt to leave the driveway for the first time alone. Got a lot of tickets being a young kid and a local cop had the identical car and my Dad made me sell the car after I lost my license for a getting a ticket while on driving probation(stupid drivers ed course that lower pts) A local girl got my car, and she got hit one night my a commercial truck and the car was a gonner. This was from the day I got her.Attachment 440466

84z350crate 11-14-2008 02:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I didnt have that car for more than two years, I tinted it, got a flowmaster, and sound system. I really miss that car.
It had every option. I forgot to say that it was a L69 ho

I missed that car so much that in 05 I was searching ebay and found another 84 z28 l69ho. It was two hours away from me and in a town where my uncle lived, he checked it out, told me about the interior having a small burn in a seat and a small gap between the fender and door. Well I ended winning the auction and going to get the car. On the way to get the car, someone didnt see the trailer attatched to the suburban we used and hit it. The trailer survived but that was some dramma on the side of the road that wasn't needed.
Get to the car finally its dark out and the motor was warm, I ask the seller why the motor was warm and he told me he loved the car and he just took it for his last cruise. I start her up check out what I can c it looks great. The seller listed the car no dents, new paint, subs, cd player flowmaster. I saddle it up trailer it home, get her off the trailer, start it up runs for a min stalls again again again, time for a carb rebuild, new plugs. I find out I need a new radiator and a tie rod. I bougt the car for $3800 and I already needed a $1000 of work. wow and the car had its share of dents in the doors and the Ny paint job was sprayed all over lights and was just sloppy

1 plug on the back was original... can u believe that,
After that it sat for a month til I got money for insurance and reg and all that, I drove it for a month and then the trans just stopped shifting out of 1st, brought my trans to a dealer my friend worked at for a trans rebuld, I ended up buying a 290hp crate motor cause all the emissions carp for my 305 was all capped off and half connected and rigged up, I had no way to pass Nj inspection like that, i ended up needing a lot of things
catalytic converter, shocks, springs, rpm air gap, edelrock headers, balancer, tci torque converter,shift kit, alt, spent 5800 and (brought the car back like 5x the speedo didn't work anymore, the trans was leaking like 3x, and the dealer stole my ac compress and lines plus old parts) just for that stuff minus suspension put in there and the trans rebuilt, all the money for those parts were not included in that price, those parts must have cost another $2000, then trans blew in 3k miles(they did a sh*t job rebuilding it)I bought a built street strip trans for $2000, a holley carb, carb spacer, dist, racing seats, dvd flip out head unit, a harwood lift off, and another balancer cause the dealer messed the other one up add another$3000 this car has no options at all but finally I love this one too and will prob keep it forever since I'm in soo deep Attachment 440465

84z350crate 11-14-2008 02:40 AM

I purchased those rims from 89 tta on this board recently and tinted my tails , next I need paint and new carpets and she's good as new

84z350crate 11-14-2008 03:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 440460

avro206 11-14-2008 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Aarons92Maro (Post 3948055)
I loved the one's with the Z28 rims and the handling package (F41 as I later found out),

Eventually, I'll be putting an Iroc-z swap in it. A friend has one from his old '88 Iroc (305 TPI) with redone valve seals (the Iroc's were famous for those going and making a lot of smoke)

Iroc-z motor, tranny and computer, LT1 aluminum heads,

nice story and pics. Just want to correct you

1. 91-92 Z28s did not have F41--they had FE2. Every single RS V8 had F41 as standard equipment.

2. Every small block Chevy is hard on valve seals and will likely eventually smoke on start up. NOt exclusive to IROCs at all.

3. NO LT1 aluminum heads on IROCs.
:)

Sonymaster20 11-14-2008 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by avro206 (Post 3948252)

1. 91-92 Z28s did not have F41--they had FE2. Every single RS V8 had F41 as standard equipment.

2. Every small block Chevy is hard on valve seals and will likely eventually smoke on start up. NOt exclusive to IROCs at all.

I think he was talking about a 91-92 rs Like his with the f41 with the z28 aluminum wheels and how he liked his car.

Aarons92Maro 11-14-2008 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by avro206 (Post 3948252)

Really?! I was told it was entirely possible. They told me I could put them on my 305 TBI... I've seen videos of the same car with them... are you 100% sure??? And I didn't mean it to be exclusive to Iroc-z's. I just meant to say that they smoke after awhile... I looked up F41 again, and it says that it was an optional package for the RS in 91-92.

Curtisyz54 11-14-2008 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by 84z350crate (Post 3948224)

That car is sweeeettt

avro206 11-15-2008 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Sonymaster20 (Post 3948949)
I think he was talking about a 91-92 rs Like his with the f41 with the z28 aluminum wheels and how he liked his car.

nah....! He STILL likes it! :nod: :P

Hey its a nice car just just sounds a bit misinformed is all--not trying to be mean.

avro206 11-15-2008 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Aarons92Maro (Post 3948950)
Really?! I was told it was entirely possible. They told me I could put them on my 305 TBI... I've seen videos of the same car with them... are you 100% sure??? And I didn't mean it to be exclusive to Iroc-z's. I just meant to say that they smoke after awhile... I looked up F41 again, and it says that it was an optional package for the RS in 91-92.

IIRC the coolant passages on GEN 2 SBC (92-97) LT1 heads do not line up with gen 1 block

The V8 was optional on the RS but when you ordered it you got F41. So seeing as how the Camaro came standard with the V6--you could say F41 was "optional"

FormulaL98 11-15-2008 09:15 AM

OK, i come from a family of car guys from way back so i'll just try and hit the improtant stuff lol

My grandfather has always loved cars, his first new car was a 56 belair 2-door. He sold that in 58 to buy his brand new 58 vette (Black with silver coves) with 2-4bbl 283 and 2spd powerglide, car also had power windows and seat!! this car actually surfaced about 2 years ago at an auction in Michigan and sold for 68k unrestored!!! he traded in the vette for a new 63 Impala SS convertable 409 car. After this his last real performance car was a 71 Camaro SS 350, all of these cars he sold but who was to think the value of them all today. My grandfather currently has a 68 Chevelle factory L79 car (325HP 327 and 4spd with 4.10 posi 12 bolt)

My father started wrenching on cars in the mid 60's. His first car was a 61 corvette fuel injection car, he proceeded to wreck the hell out of it when he was 17 hah. He then bought a 67 impala SS 427 as a daily driver. After high school he bought 2 Chevelles, a 68 Triple Black (Black vynal roof, paint, interior) Which was also a factory L79 car (325HP 327). It is improtant to note that L79 cars started as SS cars (with 138 vin and even SS grille, just no emblem) but the trim level was a Malibu. He installed a new (then hah) 70 LT1 motor and new M22 muncie trans. He also ordered chrome side exhaust from Baldwin Motion along with a L88 Hood for it, I have been trying to track this car for years and have found its owners up to about 1990 and thats it. It literally sat in a garage untouched after my dad had sold it about 10 miles from our home for almost 25 years according to the guy he had sold it too!! His second chevelle at the time was a 64 Malibu SS he raced in the old Jr. Stock classes. He then had a number of corvettes into the early 90's then sold them all and bought a boat.

The car guy in me was brought out when i was little and used to watch my dad wrench on Vettes and others people hot rods all the time. When i was 15 I bought my 72 350 4spd Nova which I still have and powershift as much as possible. I bought my Formula in 2006 on a whim because it only had 51k on it and the price was sweet! I had planned on turning the car over to fund a new motor build for the Nova, however now I wouldnt ever sell either car lol.

There u all go!! Thats my car guys roots in a nutshell lol

karl's-92'-z28 11-15-2008 03:22 PM

I got into mines through the drivers door....lol, sorry couldn't resist

Actually i started with a 71 Firebird, 70 Firebird, 78 Z28, 79 Berlinetta, 91 Z28, 92 Z28. The second gens I had in highschool I still have the motor from the first one & looking for a clean roller to put it into.

My car fetish if you would call it, started with my step dad. My 71 I bought from him with full engine work, & hasn't stopped since. Is their a car annonomous I can go to, to get help...lol

Since my first turdgen I was hooked, their easy & fun to work on, keeps me grounded I guess.:lmao:

Phishman92 11-15-2008 04:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Just got my car TOWED today. Second time in 9 years but for the same problem as a couple summers ago....no fuel pressure :eek: not fun. I'll get the diagnosis from the 3rd gen guru at the shop it was towed to monday.

Til then, this thread is a great way to ease my soul....

my dads always been into cars so naturally cruise nights and car shows were a second home to me as a child (and still today). He never owned anything cool when I was growing up but constantly teased me by looking at and making offers on 69 Chevelles, 57 bel air ragtops and various corvettes. but he never brought one home. never.

when I was 13 or so the reality set in that I was a few short years away from driving age and he finally had the perfect excuse to shut my mom up; the father son project car. The hunt was on and there were many options. To be honest, I watched a lot of BBTF when I was a kid and I had my heart set on a delorean. clearly that was a little unrealistic for a first car, so the next choice was a 3rd gen camaro. maybe it was the same wide, low shape, 4 headlights or the grid tail lights but in my head it seemed like the next best thing. It also didnt hurt that the "g.r.e.a.t" officer that gave anti drug and gang speached at elementart schools drove a killer white 91 B4C.

for about 2 years we looked at probably 25 different ones. Mostly RS's, a couple IROCs and even a vert. none pleased my dad's impossibly high standards nor really connected with me as being "my" car. My grandmother lives down the steet from a gas station mogul's garage in winthrop mass. It's a private shop for mostly his cars or his friends/sons whatever. My dad and I used to walk through every once in a while to look at his vintage ferrari's, 40 fords and other classic machines. One day we walked all the way down to the transmission shop on the other end. They had cleared their lot out since they were close to going out of business and revealed a sad looking 92 25th anniversary camaro. the actic white was turned a piss/rust yellow from years sitting out side. The front had a bra to cover unfinished bodywork and all 4 tires were flat. I would have past it by but it had hood blisters...new to me at the time. closer inspection revealed leather and more importantly 71,000 miles on the clock! this could be good.

we tracked down the owner who apparently dumped it there with a bad tranny. he suddenly decided he wanted to fix it after 3 years and did so, then took our 3k and the saga began. that was the fall of 99. 52,000 miles 9 years later, a tech school paint job, tranny rebuild when we found out the deuch left the original torque converter in when he "rebuilt" it the first time, a ton of new parts (EVERYTHING was original on the car since new) and a whole lot of other work the car is still my full time spring/summer/fall cruiser. Hopefully I'll get the current issues sorted before putting it away and she'll be ready to go for next spring.

In another year or two, after working and saving for a bit, the real fun begins :nod: ....but for now here some before and after pics of stage one...

Attachment 440396

Attachment 440397

Attachment 440398

jrhaus76 11-17-2008 10:30 AM

So far everyones story has been fantastic! Keep them coming. I actually started collecting parts yesterday to re-do the interior of my car and put it back to like new condition. The following parts are on the way to my house this week:

-New GM power window and hatch switches (my white is worn off)
-New radio surround (mine has a slight crack)
-New 89 IROC 350 shifter bezel... every try to find one of these? With the ribbed shift area like the 90-92 ones only with white instead of yellow lettering. Talk about hard to find. hawks has them new now... looking forward to seeing it. (mine has a broken corner)
-Used (but mint) upper and lower console (mine has a hole drilled :mad: )

QUESTION... how do i get my spec sheet off the old console to put on the new? Is this even possble? I was thinking about cutting it out, plastic and all, then scanning it and and reprinting it on sticky back paper and sticking that on. Won't be the orginal one but probabyl wont be able to tell.

Kristen has told me to put the stuff up and not put it on until I officially redo the car...:crazy: Any thoughts on that?

The only interior parts left are new door arm rests and the steering wheel recovered.

The outside is not that simple. needs paint.....

MORE STORIES PLAEASE

avro206 11-17-2008 11:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I was influenced at a young age by a Trans Am. When I was 6-8 years old, one of my friends Dad worked for GM--I am thinking a zone office. He drove an 80-81 Trans Am--it was black with a red Bird on the hood--don't see many of those anymore--even back then.

Anyhow--I remember going places in that car. Then in 82 he got a new Firebird---I HATED IT!!!

But with time comes wisdom, or so they say and now thirdgens are my fav.

Over the years or automotive ownership I had many Camaros (2nd and 3rd gen) and even a Mustang (86 LX V8 hatch with T-roofs!) but then I started getting back into Firebirds, with a 74 350.

Then into a 74 Formula 400 that I bought from California.
Even though it was highly optioned and a 1 owner car--it needed more work then I could give it.

When you have to pay for parts and labour--things get real exspensive! So I managed to sell it to another member in the Calgary Firebird Club.

I took a break from "toy" or "weekend" cars for about a year--and then I was back--looking with a vengence.

My goal was to buy a 305 TPI 5 speed--but after testing 91 Formula 350--I decided I could go either way. Hardtop was wanted as well

I wanted a car that had a great paint job that had been exceptionly well maintained. Either original or restored--I wanted most of the work done.

After looking on autotrader.com for a few months I found my car. Initially I had passed it over many times....it had no picture! Pretty lazy to sell without a pic!

And it was really my 2nd choice car. First was an 89 Formula 305 automatic. It was one owner with 35K--and was supercharged!.

(Both cars were in Illionois maybe 20 miles apart)

That quickly fell through--the woman decided to keep it--so on the 2nd car. An 89 Formula 350 with T-tops.
I sent off an email requesting pics and a run down. Heres the reply I got.

I have gone through every component of this car and have only put about 2000 miles on it since completion. The car was never in an accident and no rot was present before the paint work. The old paint job was simply faded and was not a clean white as is the Arctic white.The pictures will show that I have spared no expense.

My goal was to have a formula 350 that pretty much looks stock and has all the factory amenities but significantly outperforms it. You will not be able to build this car for anything near what I am asking. Unfortunately, I need cash and have to sell it.
Car is garaged, covered and never ever driven in bad weather. The car handles and performs better than it did when it rolled off the showroom floor. As I said, no expense has been spared as I am very particular regarding quality and performance on my car.

I have the full car fax report but it is very large. if interested let me know and I will send all forms.

Below are the details of all work recently performed.

Engine: 365 HP ( Conservitively rated )

L98 350 Bored .30 over

Edelbrock Aluminum Vortech Heads http://www.sdparts.com/product/E6097...inderHead.aspx

SDPC Vortech TPI aluminum Intake ( http://www.sdparts.com/product/12498...Baseplate.aspx )

SLP Intake runners Port matched to plenum and intake ( http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...04&BIG=20004-1 )

Full Roller valve train with the following:

TPIS ZZ-9 Roller Cam Gross lift with 1.6 rocker is .515/.554 112deg lobe separation URL defaults to flat tappet- select next page after reaching this page to view roller cam ( http://www.tpis.com/index.php?module...t%2FValvetrain )

Crane Gold Race Narrow Body 1.6 roller rockers ( http://www.sdparts.com/product/CRA10...ockerArms.aspx )

Manley hardened push rods ( w/guide plates ) OEM GM Roller lifters

24# GM injectors, flow tested and matched

Cloyes true roller double roller timming Chain

SLP 1 3/4 ceramic Coated headers Dual Cat type ( http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...C&BIG=30005C-1 ) Picture shown is actually the single cat type as SLP doesnt sell the dual any more.

ProComp Billet aluminum computer controlled distributor. ( http://www.procompelectronics.com/Files/5.html )

Taylor 8MM wires with Center bolt style separators

Crane adjustable Fuel pressure regulator

52 MM throttle body with integrated air foil and roller bearing throttle linkage.

52 MM port matched plenum

New water pump

New motor mounts, hoses, belts

New GM sensors\relays: knock sensor, temp sender, fan control, O2 sensor, oil sender, Fuel pump relay, MAF burn off relay. New IAC motor

New Harmonic dampener

New GM Oil coolant tube assy.

Brand new alternator ( not remanufactured )

Custom ECU Prom with integrated diagnostics for recording car\ sensor data

Transmission:

Built 700R4, all new performance hard parts including "beast" sun shell, Servos, pump, boost valve, bands, bearings and clutch pack. Have reciepts

B&M Holeshot 2400 RPM Lock-up style torque converter

Rear End:

Stock 3:27 Gears

Stock Limited slip differential all bearings and seals replaced.

The drive shaft is the OEM aluminum with new HD u-joints replaced

Suspension, Steering, Chassis:

Car has WS6 package with heavy duty sway bar

2" lower intrax spring kit ( I still have the original springs )

New KYB gas Struts and rear shocks replaced with spring kit

All bushings replaced with new polyurethane bushings

Alston welded sub-frame connectors and TDS Wonder Bar front frame tie (look at the bottom of this page to see steering brace and sub-frame ties) http://www.top-downsolutions.com/ind...5a017e1d3922d4

Hotchkis Strut tower brace http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/in...ROD&ProdID=843

Brakes:

Rear disc brakes

New rotors, calipers, pads

Exhaust: Borla Stainless with original dual GM cats. ( Still passes emissions)

Body and Interior:

Interior is in mint condition with no rips tears burns or stains, non-smoker car. The Dash pad is in perfect condition.

All weather seals have been replaced ( including t-top with original GM kit )

Body is arrow straight. Car was stripped completely, primed, painted with two coats PPG Arctic White ( GM color) and two coats PPG clear. New GM door (bumper) moldings As I said... The car was never in an accident and no rot was present before the paint work. The old paint job was simply faded and was not a clean white as is the Arctic white. I slightly tinted the rear lights but not so bad that you will get pulled over by the law.

GTA wheels with polished lips and Charcoal Grey Centers

Undercarriage is clean and rust free

The windshield was replaced with a new one along with the surrounding molding due to some delaminating around the bottom edge of the original windshield

The rear aerowing spoiler was replaced with a lighter fiberglass OEM style replacement from G&T fiberglass painted to match.

http://www.gtfiberglass.com/PRICING.html

New GM Washer fluid and coolant over-flow containers

All lights, power functions work perfect. Cruise works

The AC needs to be charged as I did not recharge it after the seal was opened to install the engine. It did work before the motor removal\install. The AC condenser is new.

I can take more pictures if you like.... just let me know if there is something in particular you want to see

The reply spoke volumes about the sellers integrity and the willingness to work with me. After several more email and phone calls--and an independent inspection I flew down to Chicago with my Dad and drove it home.

Guess I could live with T-tops!

I only had 1 problem with the car--I thought it was a baked starter but turned out to be the ignition lock cly--some times she wouldn't start.

After that repair it had been dead reliable--I have 100% confidence it in.

I changed the wheels--added some nice rubber, Eibach PRO kit (cause Intrax 2" is too low) and a stereo w/speakers. (it had the facory tape deck and ONE speaker)

I added a NOS leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter too

The interior does need minor refreshing--but its still very good shape

Oddly enough it has the factory cat-back....just the muffler is Borla---a nice 3" Magnaflow is going in--sans cats.

Out of all the car shows I attended in southern Alberta I have only seen one other Formula---and it was not as nice as mine---a real #2 car.

BEFORE
Attachment 440335

AFTER
Attachment 440336

FormulaL98 11-18-2008 07:40 AM

Wow avro206 your formula is crazy nice!! Id like to have a set of the 87 formula wheels. I never liked third gens either til I went to look at my formula, only took me 5 minutes to look the car over and I knew it was coming home. I looked at a couple third gens in my town that were for sale b4 i bought my nova in 2001, my dad (old school drag race wrencher) always told me third gens were crap lol, until i bought one and he drove it. Now hes on the hunt for a 92 anniversary car "for my mom to drive." this was his excuse for the last 3 cars he bought lol

jrhaus76 11-18-2008 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by FormulaL98 (Post 3951847)
Wow avro206 your formula is crazy nice!! Id like to have a set of the 87 formula wheels. I never liked third gens either til I went to look at my formula, only took me 5 minutes to look the car over and I knew it was coming home. I looked at a couple third gens in my town that were for sale b4 i bought my nova in 2001, my dad (old school drag race wrencher) always told me third gens were crap lol, until i bought one and he drove it. Now hes on the hunt for a 92 anniversary car "for my mom to drive." this was his excuse for the last 3 cars he bought lol

You are close to me... either way OH or KY. We should cruise in the spring. I am thinking of putting together a tri-state (OH, KY, IN) cruise in the spring/summer '09. Not sure when or where but I have been considering. Interested?

Maverick H1L 11-18-2008 11:42 AM

Actually, I got into mine through the driver's door after removing about 10 lbs of trash from the seat. :eek: Just to show you how bad she was when I bought her.

Anyways, my 87 is the first of my F-body collection that I WILL see to completion. The rest of the collection will include:

81Z, the Hawk: My older sister and her fiance/later husband had a 78-80 (not sure, they never told me) that they pulled into our driveway with one time, and I had been hooked before that. When I was looking for a car when I was 17 (don't ask why i got started late), I asked them about it, and they had sold it to a guy in Saratoga Springs for $1200. They could have gotten it back if I wanted it, but I didn't have that much money then. I asked them about the 93 Concorde my bro had, and he wanted to sell it to me for $1200. I later (after having bought the Bird) found out that they sold that car for $400. Needless to say, I'm a little :mad: about that.

1987 Firebird, the Raven: After spending 20 months in foster care (family problems, don't ask), my foster mom drove me to visit her parents on the other side of the town I was living in. In the driveway that is used for the house sitting behind the parents' house, there was a Firebird. The woman who was living in the tiny house said that her dad was looking to sell it, and my foster mom asked how much (for her son), and we found out $1200. She asked me to look at it. I started the car, with some difficulty, and it seemed to run halfway decent. We went back home that day after a bit and the woman told me, while we were riding in her Montana, "You couldn't handle that car. It's too much car for you." Right! Was she kidding?! Her son couldn't handle it, that I'm sure of, but ME? I only spun her once, hitting a nice sheet of water running off of that exit ramp, with inferior tires on my back wheels (Traction Grade B, anyone?). Anyways, to continue the story, I decided that, no matter what, I was going to buy that Bird. Two weeks later, I got a hold of the guy and test drove the Bird, with almost no problems, other than an SES light that wouldn't turn off (it was March and too cold for the engine to overheat due to the broken air dam). I was informed that everything worked ( :bs: ) and that the t-tops didn't leak (even more :bs: , I haven't gotten them to STOP leaking YET in 5 years). Not too much later, the guy went down to a "reasonable" asking price of $1k. I gave him $800 down the day before I turned 18, and drove the car home, where the trouble started. The car refused to start at the gas station on the way home (misaligned NSS) and I ended up breaking the heater control valve and spending three hours trying to bypass it. The next day, I set out on my quest to at least fix the car. Now, at this point, I forgot to mention that when we went out to receive the car, the woman whose dad I bought the car from and I went out with 2 huge trash bags and pulled a TON of trash out of the car, her baby seat :eek: , and a bunch of other crap, before I had to go over and have the front tires reinflated (wrong size tires on both ends, BTW, 195/65/15 on the front and 235/60/15 trac grade B on the rear, only good thing about the rears being they had white lettering). The following morning, I set out on a 2 month quest to fix a bunch of problems, including the fact that the left front turn signal wire in the steering column blew both the TAILS and the STOP HAZ fuses, depending on whether you had the switch set for the hazards or for a left turn. I also began to actually CLEAN the car, which took me 2 months, pulling just about ALL of the interior, and replacing the moldy (remember the leaking t-tops?) jute padding under the carpet to make the car actually smell like a CAR and not a moldy basement. Then, I decided that having the car as one color was better than having it in 2/3 primer. The only panels not in primer when I bought her were the front bumper, front fenders, and the passenger's side door. The pass side fender had (and still has because it has redented itself) a nice dent in front of the wheel well and nothing to hold the inner fender against the sheet metal so it wore on the tire, both bumper covers aren't factory (Bob's Firebird Parts) and the front bumper reinforcement has been replaced with one from an 85 T/A, both front fenders have been replaced in the past (left is Gen GM replacement and the right is from an 88 Formula), the right rear quarter has obviously been replaced (and is misaligned), and the inner structure (that holds the window motor assembly) of the driver's door is damaged. What he HAD done, supposedly, was rebuilt the 2.8 (supposedly 10K before I bought the car) and replaced the headliner (well done, actually). I bought the car with 194,676 miles on it, and had to replace the 2.8 (bad oil change and no air dam created a bad lower end) with 195,239.6 miles on the clock. Now, with the 3.1 that my dad bought for me when I decided to go to school the first time for automotive technology, I learned that the transmission (automatic, BTW) had problems with the converter clutch, and I had already decided that I WAS going to go manual. A year after I dropped out of school (being jobless while in college is NOT a good thing for an education), I had bought my 1993 Grand Prix to drive while I was transplanting a T5 into the Bird. In March of 2006, after collecting parts for 3 months and having spent $1200, the 700R4 was replaced with a T5 with a bad case that I was forced to rebuild after having had the case "fixed". Needless to say, I swapped out that 84 T5 (3.something first gear which I didn't like since I was learning to drive as I was breaking in a new clutch) for an 85 T5 (4.06 first gear, much easier to drive and better on gas with a .76 5th as opposed to a .78) a month later. She does have a rattle-can paint job, since I have NEVER worked above minimum wage as of yet, and it is black with red accents. I have lost the third of the 3 center caps I got from the PO and only have 2 now, and I am still looking for either a set of stock rims or steel rims I can mount snows on (the Bird is still my only car ATM and I HAVE to drive it in the winter). She has little rust, being that she was from Alabama, but I am still going to have to replace my fuel lines within the next year. The Raven was my "staying sane through 22 months of hell" present to myself, and I have only made her better. She used to get around 5 MPG on the open road, and now she gets over 30, which is better than she was getting with the failing 700R4 (27). I can get to where I was going to school in CT from home on 1 tank of gas with some left over (the drive is around 375 miles or so). If I an thinking right, including the original $1k I paid for it, I have spent over $3k on the car so far, and expect to spend around what she was bought for brand new in 87, to make her factory fresh, with some additions and changes (such as 91-92 gfx and a performance suspension because ALL of my suspension bushings are bad and I like red accents on base black, with a little chrome in the engine bay :D .
93-95 Firebird, with a 3.4, the Phoenix: Someday. Will be red. Don't know how I got hooked, but I did.
And lastly, to round out the collection, not an F-body, but I will need something to drive during NY winters: A 92-96 Grand Prix, preferably with a 3x00 series engine, and definitely a HUD (big fan of flight sims and prefer to keep looking at the road rather than having to look down/over to see how much gas I still have). I had a 93, and I loved it, I just was forced to sell it.
Still an uphill battle, but I've gotten a long way from how I bought my 87.

FormulaL98 11-18-2008 03:43 PM

jrhaus76 i would definitly be interested in a cruise/show. I actually store my car back home in OH and go to school in Ky at UK. Keep me posted on it, I know a dozen third gens back in OH that are regulars at the shows up there, i"m sure they would be in too.

jrhaus76 11-18-2008 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by FormulaL98 (Post 3952270)
jrhaus76 i would definitly be interested in a cruise/show. I actually store my car back home in OH and go to school in Ky at UK. Keep me posted on it, I know a dozen third gens back in OH that are regulars at the shows up there, i"m sure they would be in too.

Great, I live in south west/central ohio.. Ripley to be exact. About an hour east of cinci on the Ohio River. Names Jason...

miRob 11-25-2008 07:37 AM

A great idea for a thread.

Here’s my story. I’m F-body less right now (currently looking for a 3rd gen Camaro) but when I was in my early 20’s, back in the late 80’s, and beginning to make decent cash I started looking for a cool car. I grew up around Flint, MI and most of my family worked for GM. My brother and I love cars and always have, especially GM’s. So when I finally could afford it I wanted a bad azz ride. I had to have a TA. I thought it was the coolest product out at the time, much better looking than the C4 Vette. I ended up buying a 88 GTA, white with tan interior, in the summer of 89’. I paid cash of $14200. I’ll never forget it. I was in heaven. :) Man I loved that car. I did a few performance mods to it. I lowered it with the Bell Tech spindles and springs. And I put body colored rear window louvers on it. I thought it was the coolest ride in town. And I always kept it in mint condition.

Unfortunately I only owned it for about 3 years because I made a bad decision (didn't think so at the time) to sell it to buy my fiancé a decent car. A funny part of the story is that I sold it to a stripper. I don’t even want to know what defiling took place in my beloved GTA after that. :)

Anyway, fast forward to 2008, 20 years later. I never owned another sports car after that GTA. I got into 4-wheeling and Jeeps. But now I’m itching for something fast again but I don’t have the cash for a C6, don't like the C5's or the 4th gen Maro, and I really like the idea of building a car up the way I want. I might get bored with a C6 anyhow. I’m looking for a 3rd gen Camaro in black or blue, V8, A/C, in all-around good shape and drives well but needs some work to make really nice. And believe me when I find it I will never sell it. :)

That’s my story.

Cheers

jrhaus76 11-25-2008 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by miRob (Post 3958963)
A great idea for a thread.

Here’s my story. I’m F-body less right now (currently looking for a 3rd gen Camaro) but when I was in my early 20’s, back in the late 80’s, and beginning to make decent cash I started looking for a cool car. I grew up around Flint, MI and most of my family worked for GM. My brother and I love cars and always have, especially GM’s. So when I finally could afford it I wanted a bad azz ride. I had to have a TA. I thought it was the coolest product out at the time, much better looking than the C4 Vette. I ended up buying a 88 GTA, white with tan interior, in the summer of 89’. I paid cash of $14200. I’ll never forget it. I was in heaven. :) Man I loved that car. Unfortunately I only owned it for about 3 years because I made a bad decision to sell it to buy my fiancé a decent car. A funny part of the story is that I sold it to a stripper. I don’t even want to know what defiling took place in my beloved GTA after that. :)

Anyway, fast forward to 2008, 20 years later. I never owned another sports car after that GTA. I got into 4-wheeling and Jeeps. But now I’m itching for something fast again but I don’t have the cash for a C6, don't like the C5's or the 4th gen Maro, and I really like the idea of building a car up the way I want. I might get bored with a C6 anyhow. I’m looking for a 3rd gen Camaro in black or blue, V8, A/C, in all-around good shape and drives well but needs some work to make really nice. And believe me when I find it I will never sell it. :)

That’s my story.

Cheers

White with tan GTA would be very nice. Track it down like I did... I liked the stripper part.

Funny thing is these are my cars...

C6 and blue third gen...
http://i36.tinypic.com/esmexi.jpg
1992 Wrangler 4.0 with 4 inch Skyjacker lift and 33x12.5 super swampers...
http://i35.tinypic.com/dms5sm.jpg

The C6 does not get boring but i also don't drive it very often. Where do you live? Anywhere near SW ohio? Got anywhere good to wheel? We go to Natural Bridge alot. If you live close, we should wheel...

miRob 11-25-2008 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by jrhaus76 (Post 3958978)
White with tan GTA would be very nice. Track it down like I did... I liked the stripper part.

The C6 does not get boring but i also don't drive it very often. Where do you live? Anywhere near SW ohio? Got anywhere good to wheel? We go to Natural Bridge alot. If you live close, we should wheel...

I read how you tracked yours down. That was really cool. But I want something different. Now I really like the harder lines of the Maro vs the smoother TA.

I also saw that you have the best of old and new (C6 and 3rd gen Camaro). I'm very jealous. :) I was seriously considering a black C6 as a matter of fact. :) But with the economy the way it is and saving for retirement it's just not smart for me right now to spend 30K on a sports car.

Nice Jeep. I have a 99' TJ that I bought new in 98'. I never get bored with that. :) We wheel in VA, Northern W.VA, and PA. www.offcambercrawlers.com and my old club in MI www.wolverine4wd.org

http://inlinethumb55.webshots.com/42...500x500Q85.jpg
I'm in Northern VA now. Just moved here last year from the Detroit area where I designed cars for 20 years. Now I'm in aerospace design.

jrhaus76 11-25-2008 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by miRob (Post 3959014)
I read how you tracked yours down. That was really cool. But I want something different. Now I really like the harder lines of the Maro vs the smoother TA.

I also saw that you have the best of old and new (C6 and 3rd gen Camaro). I'm very jealous. :) I was seriously considering a black C6 as a matter of fact. :) But with the economy the way it is and saving for retirement it's just not smart for me right now to spend 30K on a sports car.

Nice Jeep. I have a 99' TJ that I bought new in 98'. I never get bored with that. :) We wheel in VA, Northern W.VA, and PA. www.offcambercrawlers.com and my old club in MI www.wolverine4wd.org

http://inlinethumb55.webshots.com/42...500x500Q85.jpg
I'm in Northern VA now. Just moved here last year from the Detroit area where I designed cars for 20 years. Now I'm in aerospace design.

I belong to: www.orfw.org and we are always looking for new places to wheel. WV and VA are not out of the question at all. We have wheeled in Land between the Lakes and Tellico, both are almost a full days drive with a trailer from SW Ohio. Maybe come spring we can do some wheeling. I am in charge of writing the club news letter in 2009 and would love to have some new ideas of where to ride. You have a very nice Jeep. Looks much more capable than mine but she does ok... Keep me posted on when you ride, and if you don't mind a tag along! PM me your email.

I don't want to get too off topic here as this is not a 4X4 site but one more for good measure...
http://i38.tinypic.com/4uwbqo.jpg
Darn them leaf springs!

Regal105 11-25-2008 08:51 PM

i was born into American muscle between my dad and his brothers and close family i have been exposed to trans am's camaros, stangs cudas, gto's, cutlas's, and land yachts like furys and bel airs, when it came time for me to pick a car.... the thought of a cavalier or a sunbird/fire made me wanna puke, where i'm from there everywhere, i chose the camaro but what i reallllly want is a black 77 t/a 400 4spd

jrhaus76 11-26-2008 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Regal105 (Post 3959680)
...but what i reallllly want is a black 77 t/a 400 4spd

Who doesn't! :)

avro206 11-26-2008 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by jrhaus76 (Post 3960028)
Who doesn't! :)

me! (he you asked :P ) Thirdgens rule.....we have so mnay black 77-80 TAs in our Firebird club...

jrhaus76 11-27-2008 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by avro206 (Post 3960481)
me! (he you asked :P ) Thirdgens rule.....we have so mnay black 77-80 TAs in our Firebird club...

Well i do supose thanks to Burt and Jerry they are a little over done!

TPImoneypit 11-27-2008 10:21 AM

When I was little my neighbor's dad bought him a brand new Camaro. I forget what year/trim level, but he proceeded to slip out on wet leaves and wrap it around a pole. Then he bought a foxbody. But I forgive him, he has a Chevelle now.

My pops used to take me to the track after that, as I always saw my neighbor and his friends workin on their Mustangs, and I fell in love with cars. My parents used to buy me auto traders so I could look at the Monte Carlos and Camaros in them.

I didn't come in close contact with another F-body 'til I was 16; my buddy had a 88 Firebird V6 - thing was a piece, but we had some good times in that car. Then a couple friends got F-bodys with some balls - an 88 Formula and an 86 Z28 w/ an aluminum-headed L98 swap. Both of these cars have since been beaten to crap and neither are still owned by either of these people.

What I really wanted was a father/son project car. Unfortunately, my pops passed back in 2004 when I was 18, so I'll never get that chance. I don't have half the knowledge or expertise as he did about mechanics, so I knew if I still went with wanting a muscle car it was gonna be a pain. I was right.

After years of driving some pretty lame cars (89 Accord, 93 Saturn, 99 CRV), in April '06 I found an flat grey '87 Firebird LG4 with 123k on the ticker on craigslist. The night after we went to look at it, a car full of chicks drove up to us and asked us to buy them a bottle of Grey Goose. I took it as a sign, picked it up for $840, and named the car accordingly (I don't even like Vodka; in fact, I hate it). A good summer of fun later the "rebuilt trans" was slipping and the "rebuilt engine" had a blown head gasket. After ruining my moms driveway and the car sitting for 3 months, moms got sick of it sittin there and it had to go. Nobody even came out to look at it when I tried to sell it, so I ended up donating it. Still kickin myself.

While I had the 'Goose, there was a dude with a red '91 GTA that lived a couple miles away. I always told myself "if that dude sells that car I'm buying it". Lo and behold, he was selling it right when I had the money to buy it. I had been looking for another car since I got rid of the Goose, and after looking at multiple, this was the nicest. That and I couldn't pass up a 350 GTA w/93k for $2500, especially within driving distance of my house (drove it home on tags from his '01 Trans Am). X amount of dollars later, it's a very unfinished project. But I've only but 9k miles on it in a year and a half, not too shabby.

I was buying a set of SFC's from a member (legaldisaster) a few miles from my house, and we got to talking about this '87 Firebird project car he knew about. We got to swapping details (and the VIN #) and sure enough it was the 'Goose. He worked at the towing company that came and took the car, and one of the people there saw the shape it was in and bought it. I gave the dude a down payment on it to get it back and do what I wanted to do with it back in '06, but then I blew the fuel pump the 2nd time within a month on the GTA, and I had to go get my money back. The dude said he was gonna keep it and search for a motor to drop in it. I guess I'm happy to know it didn't end up in a cube in some junkyard. I still have his # though, and if the opportunity arises, the GTA is getting a little brother.

jrhaus76 11-27-2008 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by TheGreyGoose (Post 3961027)
When I was little my neighbor's dad bought him a brand new Camaro. I forget what year/trim level, but he proceeded to slip out on wet leaves and wrap it around a pole. Then he bought a foxbody. But I forgive him, he has a Chevelle now.

My pops used to take me to the track after that, as I always saw my neighbor and his friends workin on their Mustangs, and I fell in love with cars. My parents used to buy me auto traders so I could look at the Monte Carlos and Camaros in them.

I didn't come in close contact with another F-body 'til I was 16; my buddy had a 88 Firebird V6 - thing was a piece, but we had some good times in that car. Then a couple friends got F-bodys with some balls - an 88 Formula and an 86 Z28 w/ an aluminum-headed L98 swap. Both of these cars have since been beaten to crap and neither are still owned by either of these people.

What I really wanted was a father/son project car. Unfortunately, my pops passed back in 2004 when I was 18, so I'll never get that chance. I don't have half the knowledge or expertise as he did about mechanics, so I knew if I still went with wanting a muscle car it was gonna be a pain. I was right.

After years of driving some pretty lame cars (89 Accord, 93 Saturn, 99 CRV), in April '06 I found an flat grey '87 Firebird LG4 with 123k on the ticker on craigslist. The night after we went to look at it, a car full of chicks drove up to us and asked us to buy them a bottle of Grey Goose. I took it as a sign, picked it up for $840, and named the car accordingly (I don't even like Vodka; in fact, I hate it). A good summer of fun later the "rebuilt trans" was slipping and the "rebuilt engine" had a blown head gasket. After ruining my moms driveway and the car sitting for 3 months, moms got sick of it sittin there and it had to go. Nobody even came out to look at it when I tried to sell it, so I ended up donating it. Still kickin myself.

While I had the 'Goose, there was a dude with a red '91 GTA that lived a couple miles away. I always told myself "if that dude sells that car I'm buying it". Lo and behold, he was selling it right when I had the money to buy it. I had been looking for another car since I got rid of the Goose, and after looking at multiple, this was the nicest. That and I couldn't pass up a 350 GTA w/93k for $2500, especially within driving distance of my house (drove it home on tags from his '01 Trans Am). X amount of dollars later, it's a very unfinished project. But I've only but 9k miles on it in a year and a half, not too shabby.

I was buying a set of SFC's from a member (legaldisaster) a few miles from my house, and we got to talking about this '87 Firebird project car he knew about. We got to swapping details (and the VIN #) and sure enough it was the 'Goose. He worked at the towing company that came and took the car, and one of the people there saw the shape it was in and bought it. I gave the dude a down payment on it to get it back and do what I wanted to do with it back in '06, but then I blew the fuel pump the 2nd time within a month on the GTA, and I had to go get my money back. The dude said he was gonna keep it and search for a motor to drop in it. I guess I'm happy to know it didn't end up in a cube in some junkyard. I still have his # though, and if the opportunity arises, the GTA is getting a little brother.

Thats a really good story but I am very sorry to hear about your father. I could not imagine the feeling... best of luck on the GTA. He said he wants a brother... :)

84z350crate 11-27-2008 10:35 PM

good stories sorry t hear your situation , I always try to wrench with my Dad even though we are by no means mechanics

Werewolf SS 12-15-2008 01:13 PM

Sorry to bump this back from death but I had a kick reading all your stories and wanted to add my own.

Growing up I had always wanted a fast car.
I told everyone since early middle school that I had two goals in life. To get a job as a computer tech (done :) ) and to own a Camaro before I graduated from high school.

Several years later I'm in Junior year 2003 getting ready to get my first car. I had just turned 16 and was driving my fathers 93 Chevy S-10 pickup when he wasn't using it. I wanted a car at the time and I noticed on the hill near the high school someone kept leaving a faded red car with an ugly black bra on it. I always drove by not stopping to look at it as I had to be to school and didn't realize what it was. Then one day my brother tells me why haven't you looked at that Camaro on the hill?

I stopped and looked at it and fell in love.
A 1989 Camaro RS Automatic v6 power everything.
The paint was faded and bleached but other than that it was perfect.
So I tell me father and he looks at it. My father use to build and race cars in his early years so we call the owner and take it for a spin.

The car was bought by an elderly gentleman who drove it to church on the weekends. He passed away and in the will gave it to his step son. His step son only drove it to Kentucky once a year and back and then sometimes on the weekends before deciding to sell it. It had 68,000 on the odometer.
I drove it for 4 months before my dad tells me one day. We're going to paint your car.

And we did. Metallic red with Ghost rally stripes.
To this day I still have people tell me that was the best paint job they've ever saw.

Sadly one night coming home from work a kid in a beat up truck pulled out in front of me running a stop sign and I hit him at 55mph. The car was totaled. The other kid turned out to be a rich kid from his parents and was on the senior football team at my school. He shows up to school two days later in a brand new 2004 Mustang GT. While I got stuck with having to drive a 2000 Ford Contour POS. My car after that was a brand new 06 Chevy Cobalt SS S/C but I always missed my Camaro.

So a friend comes to me one day and says I want to build a car. We split the cost to make it cheaper would you be interested in doing it?
I asked him what car. He says a Third Gen.

My eyes lit up and I agreed.
2 months later we find a 1990 Camaro RS 305 TBI Auto Hardtop for sale.
We walked away from that deal like a bandit. Only problem was the interior of the car was red :lmao:

So as it stands I have another Camaro in my poession currently having the interior stripped and black interior being put down.
It's nice to be back in a good car :)

jrhaus76 12-15-2008 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Werewolf SS (Post 3978007)
Sorry to bump this back from death but I had a kick reading all your stories and wanted to add my own.

So a friend comes to me one day and says I want to build a car. We split the cost to make it cheaper would you be interested in doing it?
I asked him what car. He says a Third Gen.

My eyes lit up and I agreed.
2 months later we find a 1990 Camaro RS 305 TBI Auto Hardtop for sale.
We walked away from that deal like a bandit. Only problem was the interior of the car was red :lmao:

So as it stands I have another Camaro in my poession currently having the interior stripped and black interior being put down.
It's nice to be back in a good car :)

Well I am glad you brought it back... i like hearing the stories.

any pics of either cars...

Louis_84 12-18-2008 05:10 PM

mine is nowhere near impressive...

I was sitting in the library at my school, and my teacher came up to me and told me her son in law was selling his '84 Camaro. She was just telling me cause she knew i loved muscle cars. She walked away. And I sat there for like 5 mins, and then I just got up walked over to her. I said "Can you tell me about this Camaro?" After she told me about it, I asked my uncle to but it for me and ill pay him back. So he did.

My point is that If I just kept sitting there I wouldn't have my Camaro. Its the best question I ever asked. Now, I think how amazing it is that one question i asked got me a car that i love.

The Project 12-23-2008 01:12 PM

Here are some more stories (on another TGO thread)

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/hist...ne-here-7.html

Paragus77 12-23-2008 02:50 PM

When my dad was my age, he had a 68 camaro SS, it was a hot rod that ran 10.99 in the quarter, and had to have its engine rebuilt every weekend. The stories he told me and the bitchin *** black 87 firebird v6 (lol) my parents owned when i was little made me an f-body fan. After totalling my first car, a Honda Accord i started looking for a Camaro. I couldn't find any newer ones (4th gen) in my price range, and my dad wanted me to get a car with good mpg, and reliability, so i ended up buying and driving a Mitshitsi Eclipse... I hated that car from the moment i saw it... I never stopped looking for an f-body. I always like the older cars, but the 3rd gens where the oldest that i could afford in running condition. The more i looked, the harder i fell for the thirdgens. I found a red 85 Trans-Am at a local used car dealer specializing in semi-antique and antique muscle cars. I was in love instantly. V-8, T-Tops, the inversed hood scoop, great interior and a very straightbody. My dad said he knew the owner of the dealer and would talk to him about it. I dreamt of driving that damn car for a week before dad said no. The car was in the middle of a restore when the guy brought i tinto the dealer, and traded it for a pristine black bird they had there. There was something wrong with the car, but they weren't sure exactly what, they thought it needed new heads, and possibly frame work. I was searching again. (with a for sale sign slapped on the windsheild of that crappy *** Eclipse) Jump forward two months. There is a blue camaro down the street from the college the guy wants 2000 but is quick to drop that price to 1500. Iffy car with a rust hole in the door and a home installed crate motor... I passed. About 3 months later i found my car. An 89 Iroc Hardtop, Red with a rust hole in the passenger fender and bubbles on the roof, but an otherwise straight body, and an interior almost as good as the T/A. I talked to the owner, and he said that for $2000 i could have the car and a rust free fender and hood off of an 88 Iroc he was parting out. I asked if he'd take $1700, and he said yes. It drove amazing, great power, no white smoke (which the eclipse POURED out due to a head gasket i couldnt fix.) no problems at all, even under WOT. I borrowed the money from my g/f, and it sat in my front yard unregistered for a month or two before i sold the eclipse and paid my g/f back. Now its body is straighter, pretty much rust free, and green. I'll never sell this car.

5_Speed 12-23-2008 05:43 PM

I read a lot of the stories, awesome stuff guys I'm always glad to hear about dedicated enthusiasts!

My story isn't quite as awesome, my first car was an 85 camaro v8 I kinda miss that car, so I bought another Camaro 8/9 years later and I hope this one actually makes it to the road.. the other was on the road for a month before the trans went totally, and someone backed into the rear 1/4 so it got junked.

This ones a little nicer, but needs a lot of work and I'm doing my best to learn and fix it.

89RS_82Z 12-23-2008 06:36 PM

i had liked the camaros and the thirds are what i grew up seeing on the road all the time, then at 18 y/o 2 of my friends got thirds..... so i decided i would get one, but i wanted an all matching low mile non abused and hacked one....looked at pleanty of POS ones, was riding around with a friends past one in someone yard i said "dang that a nice looking camaro, to bad it aint for sale" my friends said thats the guy who i got mine from, thats his wifes car......a few days later my friend calls me and tells me its for sale, went over looked at it, seen i was all original (other than paint color and wheels) all matching and most factory parts were still on it, single owner older coupple....told him id be back with the cash in a few days.....well still got it 25 now never going to sell it, got it fixed up pretty good there is a few things left like taking it apart and painting it its factory color (he took the car apart and painted it the teal green it is now)

Paragus77 12-26-2008 09:20 AM

I am officially addicted to this thread.
Great stories BEAUTIFUL cars (especially yours 84z)
keep it coming!