Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Members Camaros (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/members-camaros/)
-   -   RS Camaro owners, post a pic, your story, and some info about your car. (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/members-camaros/621351-rs-camaro-owners-post.html)

SKELITOR117 07-17-2011 04:24 PM

RS Camaro owners, post a pic, your story, and some info about your car.

1992 25th Aniv. RS 5.0
L03 5.0L (305ci) V-8
170HP 255lb tq
700R4 Transmission W/Corvette shift kit

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/pict...ictureid=24780

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/pict...ictureid=24817

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/pict...ictureid=24816

Coolwheels84 07-17-2011 05:19 PM

Re: RS Camaro owners, post a pic, your story, and some info about your car.

Nice paint!

SKELITOR117 07-17-2011 06:27 PM

Got it for $2800. But I had to rbld the trans (that was $1700). Came with an extra set of rims, sold those for $400. Came with the paint and the aftermarket rims. The guy had the origionals on his S10.

FSTFBDY 07-17-2011 07:38 PM

92 RS , INFO IN SIG...

picked it up as a rollin chassis for couple hundred bucks.
http://www.cecoatings.com/images/Car.../IMAGE_021.jpg

Put a 3inch cowl hood. some 17's ,etc.. info in sig...

http://www.cecoatings.com/images/Car...tatbeach17.jpg

the solitaire 07-18-2011 03:16 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm not quite sure where I left the pictures from the day I picked up the car.

I took some. That much I do know.
Anyways, this is (almost) what the car currently looks like:

Attachment 388494

It's a 1989 Camaro RS, export version as I found out by the build sheet stuck under the drivers seat.
LO3, which I'm going to keep as long as it runs, and a TH700 transmission.

When I picked up the car there was a lot that was not working. I found out what was and what was not working over a period of 2 years.

At the time I picked up the car I had no working means of engine cooling. The airdam was missing, the fan dead. Since it was winter I managed to drive the car home over a 200+ mile distance.

When I got home the first challenge was getting the car in my garage:

Attachment 388495

In the past 2 years I exchanged the shocks (now yellow and adjustable KONI's), springs (MOOG stock replacements), front discs (EBC calipers, red stuff pads and drilled and slotted rotors. Great stuff!), rear drums (stock replacement) 4th gen seats back and front, small stuff like battery, sparkplugs, distributor, accessory belt, steering wheel, most of the electrical wires in the interior and for exterior lighting, a full set of exterior lights etc.

I am going to keep the LO3, but I have a set of LB9 heads which are being ported and will most likely go on the car somewhere next year.

Along with the heads I'll fit a new cam, all that goes with the valvetrain, fuel pump, adjustable pressure regulator, aluminum intake, EBL and the nescessary gimmicks to make it al work together.

My aim will be 300 HP and 340 ft lbs.

Next in line will then be some transmission work, and a rear axle swap. Something along the lines of a 3.08 rear, corvette servo and a shift kit as well as an 1800'ish stall.

Up to there I hope to have my cowl hood (2,5" cowl) done and fitted, STB and wonderbar fitted and as soon as the axle goes in, tubular panhard and lower control arms.

EDIT:: for those wondering why my car still is at stock riding height, I dont plan on lowering it.
I have a hobby fabricating replacement airdams the way things are now because of the speed bumps over here. Never picked up the stock piece because of this either.

Attachment 388496

SKELITOR117 07-18-2011 09:38 AM

You live in Germany?

torque_is_good 07-20-2011 10:40 AM

I have photos on these forums in other threads and the site won't let me upload it again

89 RS 5.0 TBI 4007R4

I own a stang and a 4th gen. I've always liked the lines of 3rd gens despite the sub-par performance when compared to my other 2.

I wasn't looking to do another hi performance vehicle as I already have 2.

I just wanted to restore a 3rd gen because I like them but it had to have the low end torque of the v8. I could have done a swap but didn't want to deal with the harnesses and tweaks

The car basically had all of the pieces. It came home via flat bed because it would not start.

It now has a rebuilt engine, rebuilt tranny, new bushings, shocks, headers, new leather interior, headliner, sun visors, carpet, new paint (after i did some body work) all new lights, and all of the other little items incl hoses, belts, filters, u joints, differential servicing, new badges and center caps, window motors, weatherstripping, A/C compressor and dryer, sound system and speakers etc etc etc

It starts every time but I'm still fighting wit the high beam switch. I'll probably just modify to a floor mounted one.

t-top havoc 07-20-2011 09:20 PM

SKELETOR117--

That has GOT to be one of- if not THE best- custom paint schemes!!

SKELITOR117 07-20-2011 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by t-top havoc (Post 4985320)
SKELETOR117--

That has GOT to be one of- if not THE best- custom paint schemes!!

Eh... I duh noh. It's alright. ;-A

the solitaire 07-22-2011 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by SKELITOR117 (Post 4982424)
You live in Germany?

Sorry, must have missed this thread a few times.

Autobahn! :D
200 miles trip home @ 135mph takes approx 2 hours (some city traffic and stuff involved in getting home)

'87IROCZOWNER69 07-22-2011 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by the solitaire (Post 4986585)
Sorry, must have missed this thread a few times.

Autobahn! :D
200 miles trip home @ 135mph takes approx 2 hours (some city traffic and stuff involved in getting home)

Ich will leben ins Deutschland...aber es ist ein sehr teuer riese.:(

SKELITOR117 07-22-2011 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by '87IROCZOWNER69 (Post 4986844)
Ich will leben ins Deutschland...aber es ist ein sehr teuer riese.:(

Ah, I see. No I'm kidding, i dont speak german hahaha:burnout::lmao::lol::lol:

But I am guessing that your not from Germany and you want to go on a trip there and drive on the autobahn, and you can't cause it's too expensive.:D (Not edited):bs:

'87IROCZOWNER69 07-22-2011 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by SKELITOR117 (Post 4987044)
Ah, I see. No I'm kidding, i dont speak german hahaha:burnout::lmao::lol::lol:

But I am guessing that your from Germany and you miss driving on the autobahn.

Eh, no. Born in Colorado and raised in Nebraska! I'm what you could consider a certified german student. lol

Here's what I said: I want to live in Germany but a trip there is really expensive.

Not only that but gas is expensive there and I like the USA. But I still want to visit!

the solitaire 07-23-2011 12:50 AM

Gas prices are currently not that bad.
Weīre currently at about $6 for a gallon of regular fuel (95 octane, we can also pick up 98 octane and 102 octane at the as station. 102 octane is premium fuel and comes at about $7,20/gallon)

The autobahn is overrated. Itīs nice to be able to step on it without fear of speeding tickets, but the quality of the road surface is getting worse and most autobahns are in the progress of getting repaired, which means your limited to driving 50 mph.

Nurburgring open sundays are nice as well, but my car produces 93 dB and 90 dB is the maximum allowed so I canīt drive my car there. Still, I want to take the car there once itīs done. I have to think of something to quiet it down a bit

DROBECO 07-23-2011 12:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
my first v8 have had the car a year now everything still works basically all original from ac to rear hatch motor t-tops dont leak and only has 130k miles on it. i've wanted one of these since i was about 12 and finally saved up enough to by the one i wanted. love the original medium maui blue paint,

car was originally bought in 90 about 20 minutes from my house and im the 4th owner the car has never left my county. and i still have all the original paper work including window sticker.

SKELITOR117 07-23-2011 03:24 PM

Nice story, keep em coming guys.

lunati397 07-24-2011 05:23 AM

6 Attachment(s)
I Originally bought the car back in 1998 It was the first car I ever bought and my highschool car

It had a 305 auto t tops and a few dents and not so great paint I was young and dumb and went through 1 rear end 2 trannys 3 fuel pumps and 2 wheels and I cant even count how many tires

I joined the Airforce in 2000 and it went into a garage after basic and training I got stationed in Italy so in the states it stayed not to mention it had a blown tranny.

2003 I got stationed in FL I went there found a condo to live then went back home to pick her up 3 years of sitting I put in a new tranny and a battery and drove from CT to FL the alt took a crap around NC it ran in the red for the coolant the whole way but made it on 2 1/2 tanks of gas.

2 months later I go to Iraq for 5 months when I got back It got new fenders and a 4th gen swap Dash center console rear end gas tank engine and trans ss wheels and a ss hood along with paint (desert pay is nice when your single)

6 months after that back to the desert just this time I came back then went back then so on for about 4 years

final product was a 383 LT4 6 speed that ran a 7.2 1/8th mile on drag radials and bone stock suspension dynoed 542 hp and 602 ft lb tq engine was built by Golen engines

Then I got married and then got orders to NM and sold the motor and trans and bought a house

NOW im writing this from Afganistan and she sits at home with no Engine or trans but a lot of boxes and a 2005 LQ4 and a 4l80E this time around its getting a twin turbo LSX and full makeover top to bottom nothing will be missed It will take a few years but the wife supports it and will never let me sell it

These are old pics but still the same
Attachment 388199
Attachment 388200
Attachment 388201
Attachment 388202
Attachment 388203
Attachment 388204

lunati397 07-24-2011 05:30 AM

3 Attachment(s)
The dash is complete now too
Attachment 388196
Attachment 388197
Attachment 388198

SKELITOR117 07-25-2011 11:16 AM

Wow. Now that is a story.:goodjob:

Is that the dash that came in the 91? Cause that looks cool. It looks more like the 4thgen. Also, good luck over seas.

Sean W 07-25-2011 11:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I had a 1988 Camaro that I bought a couple weeks before my 16th birthday that was my first car. We ended up pulling it apart before I could drive so to this day I still have never driver a camaro on a road. The 88 had some pretty bad body damage and since we never got around to fixing that I decided to buy a shell off a buddy. That is where the 91 RS came from. So I got the shell, cleaned up the engine bay and painted it black.

The engine is still the stock 305 TBI with just a mild Com Cam cam and valve spring set along with new stock roller lifters. 700r4 transmission as well.

Every single piece came out of the 88 and is going into the 91 now. Engine, tranny, wiring harness from headlights to tail lights, some interior pieces, wheels, and that is about it. It has taken a little over 2 years to get to where I finally am since I never had a job through it all until 2 months ago. The 88 also had been moved from my dads to my moms so a lot went on between day one and now but nothing ever progressed the build. Until I got to my moms and started slowly picking away at it with whatever money I could scrounge up. Now the engine is in and I am going to head out to put more parts on it and lay the wiring harness in as soon as I am done here!

Enough talking, here is just a quick picture of the camaro as it sits right now:

Attachment 388139

SKELITOR117 07-25-2011 11:39 AM

Nice, I got mine about a month or two after I turned 17. I only got to drive it once before it became stationary in my driveway. I am working on restoring and upgrading it, as soon as I finish high school this summer, I'll have the funds to get new tires and get it finished. The Dynomax cat back exhaust I ordered actuall came in about 20mins ago. So there is another thing I'm doing. That should help me pass emitions tests. Wish me luck haha. Anyone else? I know there are more of us RS guys (and gals) out there.

lunati397 07-25-2011 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by SKELITOR117 (Post 4989592)
Wow. Now that is a story.:goodjob:

Is that the dash that came in the 91? Cause that looks cool. It looks more like the 4thgen. Also, good luck over seas.

Its a 4th gen dash I can credit that I was one of the first few to do it back in 03 there were no aids online so I went to the dealership and got the wiring and pin out diagrams for the clusters on the 91 and 95 and made it work

SKELITOR117 07-25-2011 11:47 AM

Man. I would love to do that to mine. I'll prob just replace the guage cluster, I think I'll be happy with that.

bummer 07-27-2011 09:10 AM

Got my 1992 RS this past March. Not to much of a story, it was owned by my parents who bought it new off the lot in the summer of 1992. The have owned it since that day, has all ways been garge kept, and pretty much all orginal. They had to replace the Heritage Stripes and the Headliner once, and a few other items like tires, ect....

The past few years they had been talking about trading it for something smaller and they really never drove it anymore, except once a week to just run if for a little while. I kept telling them everytime they talked about trading it, for them to go get a trade-in price from the dealer and I would give them $3000.00 more than they would offer them (Really wanted that car)......

Well this past Feb, my wifes van broke down and they let me drive it while hers was in the shop and she drove my Trail Blazer. Then they basically just left it at my house. My dad showed up at the house the first week of March and told me lets go to the tax office and the DMV, so they could sign the car over to me. They gave it to me for nothing, he wouldn't even let me pay for the taxes and tags or nothing that day.

It was a long 18+ years of waiting but she finally became mine that day.....

1992 RS - 25th Anniv. ZO3 Heritage Edition, right now has 78K miles on it.

Need to get some new pictures, but haven't had much time lately.....

edmonds1383 07-27-2011 09:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my 92 RS. I have a room full of goodies waiting for me when I get home from this deployment just waiting to be installed. A new headliner, door seals, Grant steering wheel, new headlight and clear marker kit, and it is getting painted as we speak. I am sure there are more parts waiting for me, but I have been purchasing stuff my entire deployment....so I have forgotten the other stuff. I will have to post some pics when I get back.

SKELITOR117 07-27-2011 12:25 PM

Nice nice. Def post more picks after you put more work into it. I like to see the progress

Shane B 07-27-2011 12:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
92 RS,5.0,5speed.Ive owned it since 2000.Has 173,000 miles and still running strong,well as strong as these 5.slows run lol.Only mod is no cat and 3in exhuast and a flowmaster.It was also painted back in 2005.

Attachment 387945

Attachment 387946

Attachment 387947

SKELITOR117 07-27-2011 01:44 PM

Nice, that's it great shape. It's amazing how long these older cars last.

one92rs 07-27-2011 05:12 PM

1992 camaro rs. my 40th birthday present from my wife. too many changes to list. went from tbi to carb and back. totally new suspension which was specced to the b4c and police package including control arms and solid panhard. bunch of 4th gen parts. garage kept.
start
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...i/100_0261.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...i/100_0257.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...i/100_0260.jpg

one92rs 07-27-2011 05:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
now
Attachment 387923
Attachment 387924
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...0/DSC05290.jpg

one92rs 07-27-2011 05:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and the engine bay now with 4thgen coolant and windshiels washer bottles installed. nice clean fenders.
Attachment 387922

SKELITOR117 07-27-2011 06:14 PM

Nice Nice. You just clean it? I see you replaced the covers and switched to an open air cleaner as aposed to the CRAPY CRAPY stock intake

one92rs 07-27-2011 07:50 PM

ok it has been on from 420mile trips to several 220 mile trips as well as get togethers and cruises. it makes it out at least twice a week. and here you go.
full b4c suspension--koni shocks--all new moog front end parts--koni shocks--bmi panhard and lower controls rear--ac delco tpi pump--extra fuel pump harness--heated 02 sensor--custom reg spring--custom made lines with holley gauge--ultimate tbi--matched injectors--spacer--mallory coil with custom bracket--accel cap and rotor--msd module--msd wires--ngk plugs--acdelete--smog delete--cat delete--egr delete--tbichips chip--open element--custom tbi harness by me--new rad--4thgen fans--flexalite controller--1969 thermostat housing(bigger)--mrgasket perf therm(180)--4thgen overflow bottle--4thgen windshield washer bottle--headlight mod with custom box--b&m transmission cooler--flamed aluminum valve covers--flamed open element--chrome wire seperators with custom brackets--chrome timing cover--voxx misano wheels 18X9 rear and 17X8 front--285/45/18 reargforce sports and 235/45/17 front gforce sports--billet adaptors--hooker header and ypipe with 3" magnaflow catback--2002 avalanche stereo--soundstream amp--clarion 6X9's on custom board--5-1/4 clarion 2ways up front--custom 3 gauge pod with autometer gauges--4thgen seats and steering wheel. thats 90% of it

SKELITOR117 07-28-2011 12:17 AM

I assume the other 10% was something actually impressive? Nah, I'm just kiddin. That is one nice RS. Great job, come back when it has turbos.

puma1552 07-28-2011 01:27 AM

Not much to my story, just kind of looked, found it, and bought it.

Had been wanting/looking for a 5.0 Foxbody Mustang for some time for my first car back shortly after I turned 15. A friend of the family owned a body shop which was the rear half of a building (huge liquor warehouse on the front IIRC) which was also set far back from the road, so there was a long road leading up to the building and to the back. One day we were stopped by there for something or other, and as we were approaching on the long road leading up to the shop, at the end of it was a bright red '91-'92 RS backed in. Car was flawless except for a little rash on the front lip from a curb, which is why it was there to be sprayed. T-tops, 32k miles, and black leather. I took one look at the inside through the windows and I was sold on a Camaro instead of a Mustang. The interior design was far better than the Foxbody Mustang. Unfortunately that one wasn't for sale, though if it had been, at the time is was only 7-8 years old and with 32k on the clock and leather, it probably would've still been $10k or thereabouts, which was out of my price range at 15 years old. Wasn't overly concerned whether or not it was an IROC, it just had to be a later car with the ground effects and it had to be a V8/Auto with power accessories and AC. It had to be as nice as possible. That was the biggest criteria--I wanted a minty lesser trim model than a clean/cleanish higher level car. I had around $4000 to spend at the time, give or take.

So I continued buying the weekly Autotrader magazine at the convenience store (remember those days? This was 1999) and flipping through the performance vehicles section and the Chevrolet section for several months (looked at Mustangs also, it was kind of a whichever-comes-first deal). Didn't see anything good, just a lot of beat looking cars just based on the little black and white ad pictures, or just poorly written descriptions that didn't actually tell you anything about the car or what options it had. Then one day I had it open on the table and an ad caught my eye, that I seemed to have missed the first time I flipped through the book. It was an ad for a 1990 RS, blue/black, V8, Auto, AC, PW, PL, PM, CC, T-tops, 116k, no accidents, stored winters, garaged, one-owner, $4300/bo, and only about a half hour away. I hadn't looked at any other cars yet, but I had to go look at this one, seemed to have everything I was looking for, the ad was well-written in that it told me exactly what I wanted to know before even calling, and it looked super clean in the pictures. At the time I didn't realize that 1990 was a very lucky year to have given the transitions of the old GFX and the new dash. Also didn't appreciate how nice or fairly uncommon the Maui Blue was.

So my mom and I went to take a look at it. It drove nice (mom test drove it since I just had a permit) and the seller seemed to be a very honest about the car, and was selling it for his wife. The car had decent miles on it considering it had been stored winters, but when she bought it, her and her husband were dating and lived in different states, so every other weekend they would take turns driving the distance from IA/MN to IL to see each other, so she took the Camaro quite often in the summer for that. He said they were selling because they were just downsizing (they were busy people, she was an attorney) and each selling a car (he sold a Monte SS). They had a small son that they were thinking of keeping the Camaro for but ultimately decided to sell rather than save it for 10+ years. My mom and I went to talk about it in our car, and decided to take it. I paid asking price, which my mom and I both thought was fair given how clean the car was and how it drove and looked underneath.

I've shown my pictures 1000 times here, but I'm sure the original owner's jaw would drop if she realized that the little 15 year old kid they sold it to kept it as nice as possible and kept storing it in the winters (first winter I didn't drive it at all since I was 15 and didn't have a license, then the second winter I paid my friends $5 a week to bring me to school, then when I was 17 I bought a truck for a DD and have had two cars ever since) and still has it today just miles from where it was sold. To this day I haven't crashed it, nor even had a ticket. And I do still have the original Autotrader ad for it.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6025/...5a6a19fa_b.jpg

one92rs 07-28-2011 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by SKELITOR117 (Post 4992430)
I assume the other 10% was something actually impressive? Nah, I'm just kiddin. That is one nice RS. Great job, come back when it has turbos.

turbos no!! but this yes!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...r/100_3084.jpg

SKELITOR117 07-28-2011 07:20 PM

Nice what is that? Specifically. I know it is an engine.

SKELITOR117 07-28-2011 07:46 PM

Oh. I forgot to post my story. I had just turned 17, and I had some cash, and my parents said they would match whatever I saved up. I had about $2700 (counting the money my parents would give me). I bought an Auto trader and realized that there wasn't going to be anything in there that I could afford (there was a nice 1000hp Twin Turbo C6 Corvette for $55,000). I decided Craigslist would be better, especially since all the cars would be local. I looked there and I found tons of 2nd and 3rdgens (I really wanted a 75 RS). Then I found this. Said $3500, bad trans, and great condition, always garaged, new weather-stripping, 25th Anniversary RS. I looked at the paint, and the fact that it had a bad trans and needed new tires bad. I wanted something I could drive right away, so I overlooked it. I found other cars, sent out emails, left messages, etc... and I got no replies.

Couple days went by, and I went back online to look at that sweet paint job again, this time the price read $3,000, and I decided it would be worth a call. I got an immediate response from the guy, he obviously really wanted to sell the car and hadn't gotten many calls. My parents saw the car and decided we could go take a look at it. So we did. My dad test drove it and we realized the trans really was bad. It was dirty and the interior needed a little TLC, but other than that, it was great. I loved the smell the interior had, it smelt like the 82 Z28 my dad used to have. I was sold. My parents decided they would buy me the car if I paid for insurance and any repairs/upgrades. It was my responsibility. We talked him down to $2800 and had a tow truck pick it up and take it to a place to get the transmission rebuilt. I paid $1700 for the rebuild plus a shift kit and a life time warranty. $200 for registration and tax. My parents lent me the money I didn't have until I could pay them back (which I have). I sold the extra set of aftermarket rims it came with for close to $400, so that helped.

I just bought a new Dynomax cat back super turbo exhaust system for $110 ($10 coupon plus $75 rebate), Came with a Super Turbo muffler with dual split exit tail pipes. And after I finish school I'm going to buy some new tires, switch to an open air cleaner, and apply some more clear coats to protect that awesome paint. After that i am def. going to get better flowing headers, y-pipe, and cat. Then a I'll swap to a 350 and a maybe 4thgen rear end (or at least a 3:42 Posi). I have big plans for this car. I can’t drive it yet, but I regret nothing.

SKELITOR117 07-31-2011 09:14 PM

Any other RS guys out there?

DeltaElite121 07-31-2011 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by SKELITOR117 (Post 4996104)
Any other RS guys out there?

My grandad bought my car for me for $2,200 (305/T5 Black interior RS from '88) to get me out from under my dad when I was 18 (I'm 24 now for reference) because we've had a LOT of problems and I needed a job.. can't get a job without a car and he was more than nice enough to let me get what I wanted with a generous $2,000. I promised him I'd never sell it, and I meant it.

The day I went to go look at it...

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photo...46109_8080.jpg

After I washed and waxed it

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photo...46115_3338.jpg

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photo...46113_2774.jpg

And this is what happens when your ex steals a LOT of money from you and leaves you in debt when your car is down and needs work. This is what it looks like currently. I'm bringing it home soon, though.. after three years of sitting. I've had a new 100% built 355 H/C/I everything else, full suspension, manual valvebody 3 speed, you name it I've got it. It'll be running again this upcoming weekend and I'll finally get a chance to repaint it and return it to it's glory. I sold a lot of things to pay off my debt that she left me with (NONE of it was mine), but I'll never get rid of my car. My grandad thought I sold the car long ago for other things and I told him I still have it at a friends.. waiting. Hopefully soon he'll understand how much I appreciate what he did for me. It's definitely more than just a car to me. That was a big changing point in my life.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._1659183_n.jpg

SKELITOR117 07-31-2011 10:37 PM

Wow man. That's an awesome story. Best of luck to you. When you get it running post some more pics. I want to see this thing when it is returned the glory it deserves.

DeltaElite121 07-31-2011 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by SKELITOR117 (Post 4996194)
Wow man. That's an awesome story. Best of luck to you. When you get it running post some more pics. I want to see this thing when it is returned the glory it deserves.

I had a lot of people tell me "it's just a car.. why are you stressed about it?" and I just shook my head and one time I responded "so why do you put money into your house, then? Your livingroom? Your TV? Your kitchen? You don't NEED that pool you have, but you like it.. you've got a roof over your head.. you don't NEED that three car garage, but you like it.. so what are you getting at?" and they couldn't really respond because they knew I was right. More importantly, my goal is to prove to myself I could beat the odds and still complete my goal, and I have. I just have a little more to go and I'll be where I need to be.

You can do anything you need to do with enough blood, sweat, and sacrifice. It's not easy, but it wouldn't be worth anything if it was.

puma1552 07-31-2011 11:23 PM

^^^You should show your grandfather this thread, then he'd know how much you appreciate what he did for you.

Also, if that's a real '88 RS, that's quite the uncommon car.

SKELITOR117 07-31-2011 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by puma1552 (Post 4996234)
^^^You should show your grandfather this thread, then he'd know how much you appreciate what he did for you.

Both very true. I bet this would put a big smile on your grandfathers face. And if it is an '88 (which it looks like it is), it is rare. If I am correct, the most common RS model years are '89 and up.

DeltaElite121 08-01-2011 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by puma1552 (Post 4996234)

Definitely. I think he knows, but I will give him my formal thanks when it's finished so he knows it wasn't just about the car.. it's about the freedom he gave me along with a lot of really good times with a extremely dependable car that I've always wanted since I was a kid.

And yes, it's a real 1988 RS. :) 305/T5 with Black interior and grey inlets (cloth). Have yet to see another short-rise RS in the St.Louis area, let alone very many thirdgens.

I'll be sure to post my progress here for you guys. I drive my car with pride in the fact it's NOT a Z28, or an IROC. Just another RS, and damn proud of it.

camarosrock1989 08-01-2011 01:19 AM

My 89 RS Work in progress! My favorite thing to do is working on my car. Used to be shopping, now all my money is dropped in my Sweet car!http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/z...l/P1080030.jpg
[img]

SKELITOR117 08-01-2011 12:55 PM

That's why I bought a camaro. If I was gonna get a car, it was going to be one that would I enjoy working on. I could have gotten something else, something more economical. But when it would need a repair, or needed gas, I would hate spending the money. With this, I can't dump money into it fast enough.

one92rs 08-01-2011 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by SKELITOR117 (Post 4993218)
Nice what is that? Specifically. I know it is an engine.

that is the beginning of my 400+hp ls1.

SKELITOR117 08-01-2011 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by one92rs (Post 4997185)
that is the beginning of my 400+hp ls1.

Yeahyuhh! That's what I'm talkin' about.

Al Hasse 08-01-2011 11:14 PM

6 Attachment(s)
My 89 I bought 5 years ago with plans to swap out the 305 for something with a bit more horses. Over the years I have replaced the stock suspension with WS6 Pontiac springs from a 1987 Formula, Tokico Illumina shocks and struts, 34mm front and 24mm rear sway bars and installed UMI sub-frame connectors and wonderbar. I also replaced the front brakes with C5 Corvette components and the rears with LS1 discs. The rear end now has a 3.73 gear with an Eaton posi carrier. The stock exhaust was replaced with a set of headers and 3" cat-back system and the air cleaner replace with an open element.

This is how it looked in stock form shortly after I bought it.
Attachment 387663

Last March, I had the car on the rollers at a dyno with the some other members of the Cascade Crew and the motor let go, still drivable, but not good enough for the 160 mile drive home, had a nice knock in the bottom end.

This was my ride home that weekend.
Attachment 387664

After a couple of moths of weekend work when the weather permitted (I did the work in my driveway), I have a 383 under the hood with Vortec heads and a Vortec TBI intake. It's mostly ready to go, I had it idling fine and the timing set, but in the process I think an exhaust leak (header to Y-pipe) cooked the starter and I'm waiting for another to install before finishing up.

Motor installed
Attachment 387665
Attachment 387666

And a couple of nice touches to go with the motor.
Attachment 387667
Attachment 387668