Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Northern Great Plains and Rocky Mountain (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/northern-great-plains-rocky/)
-   -   Flunking emissions (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/northern-great-plains-rocky/384983-flunking-emissions.html)

xlwhellraiser 08-29-2006 02:14 PM

Flunking emissions

I just failed emissions. My HC and CO were high

HC was 4.59 and the limit is 2.5
CO was 49.39 limit 20

WTF

It says that I might have unburnt fuel and there is a possibility of a rich (air/fuel) mixture.

Ok, whos got hook ups, or tips how to pass this tree hugging burocratic piece of **** test???

19RS92 08-29-2006 03:21 PM

I had a Tahoe that was high on both of those readings. I bought it from Wyoming so it had never been through emissions before. The EGR valve wound up being bad and was dumping **** back into the engine causing the high readings. I replaced it and drove it about a hundred miles to clear it out and it passed with flying colors. Good luck

8492bird 08-29-2006 03:44 PM

Had the same problem with my '92 a couple of months ago, turned out to be one bad fuel injector. Car ran fantastic but would'nt pass CAC dyno. Isn't Colorado wonderful?

You really should try to get the car on a scanner to see what's going on.

CG_1985_Z28 08-29-2006 04:08 PM

try some gas additive from the parts store, and a hotter spark plug.
good luck.

coolguywalt 08-29-2006 04:52 PM

Did you make sure that you ran the engine long enough to get the cat hot before you went there? Do you have an AFPR on there? That was my problem. Turned it back to stock, flew through. O2 sensor might cause that as well. Any codes, Sasa? If it comes down to it, new plugs and wires MIGHT help, but not by much.

twobirds 08-29-2006 05:07 PM

Emissions??Whats that:lmao: :lmao:

91RamAir Formula 08-29-2006 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by twobirds (Post 3041232)
Emissions??Whats that:lmao: :lmao:

Ditto what he said

CrazyBear 08-29-2006 07:44 PM

well you're not the only one having problems passing im planning on taking mine up there thursday and if it fails again im going to put in some e85 and then run it through.

BADNBLK 08-29-2006 08:16 PM

As Walt had mentioned the cat being too cold is a very common failure. There is so many cars that come into the shop that have small problems, but getting the cat smoking hot will sometimes temporarily mask these problems long enough to pass the test. If all else fails start checking the basic of the fuel control system, then move to emission control systems.

xlwhellraiser 08-29-2006 10:26 PM

Thanks for the help guys.

I just got hotter platnum plugs (I know), I will change those tommorow. Also, I will run some denatured alcohol through the car as well. If both of those fail I will just have to get a waiver.
Here is the part about the emissions that pissed me off. When I brought the car in, the line was long. I had it on the whole time, but it stayed at 190. From there they finally brought my car in (in front of two other cars). So, I leave the car on, and the guy shuts it off. I go WTF! So, after about 20-25 minutes, they started my car again and ran it. I was afraid that this was gonna happen. However, these readings were waaay higher than the limit thus pointing to a problem.
I might as well replace all my injectors (since I planed on doing it anyway). However, I will try some alcohol and sure pass in there, and if I fail again... Look for alternatives.
Whats the point of emission testing, if you can pay 800 bucks and have it waived???? Fuking buerocrats.

My licesne plate is going to be ****EPA (if they let me), if not EPASUX. For sure.

five7kid 08-29-2006 10:59 PM

Just a reminder, guys, that spelling words to circumvent the Board filters is against Board rules. The subject line has been altered to reflect the thread topic while staying in compliance with Board rules.

xlwhellraiser 08-29-2006 11:01 PM

Sorry, frustration clouded my judgement:)

five7kid 08-29-2006 11:07 PM

:thanks:

I'll be the first to admit enforcement hasn't been consistent. We're trying to be more so.

FWIW, DMV is even more picky about personalized plates. I'm quite certain neither of your suggested plates would pass muster. :eek:

xlwhellraiser 08-29-2006 11:40 PM

There's ways around that:) Wait and see, I have to pass emissions first though!:gocrazy:
Oh, and I love "flunked emissions" makes me sound like a bad *** in high school, "flunking" classes.. \

GTA-SPD 08-31-2006 12:45 PM

Damn Sasa, tht really sucks. Guess you should have bought my GTA, huh?:) :idiot:

d4nk 08-31-2006 06:49 PM

before you shell out for new injectors id recomend sending them to Rich @ cruzin performance. He will clean, flow test, and replace and parts neccisary. I had him do mine and I was very satisfied. Took about a week to get them back tho, so if you are in a hurry might check and see what his schedule is like.

Cruzin Performance

BADNBLK 08-31-2006 08:28 PM

Another place to check out is Linder Technical Services - Home of the "Injector Guru" They will sell reconditioned injectors for $24.95 each. We have used them at the shop multiple time for certain people that will not pay for new. Just recently had our first problem with one. It was two years old and started a very slight leak at the main body seal... called them and they overnighted a replacement.

Just a thought :)

twobirds 09-01-2006 01:13 PM

Well Sasa did you pull any codes??

xlwhellraiser 09-02-2006 03:18 AM

Just the low vacum code at the map sensor. However, that has been fixed long time ago and the car did not throw any codes at me.
So, everything is working great (per the ECM).

I'll be troubleshooting more after our run tommorow/today.

BADNBLK 09-02-2006 09:16 AM

Were you using a scanner, or a code reader? If using a scanner the block learn will give you a pretty good indication of how much fuel it is using, and if the computer is commanding this fuel, or if it is attempting to remove extra fuel in closed loop.

CamaroJosh1000 09-02-2006 06:25 PM

having same problem with my iroc too high CO replaced EGR but still code 32 comes up. You figure it out let me kniow

91RamAir Formula 09-03-2006 12:17 PM

you should probably should check the wiring