Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Power Adders (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/power-adders/)
-   -   Has anyone used MSD Adjustible Timing Control Part#8682 (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/power-adders/521361-has-anyone-used-msd.html)

sgreen3 04-15-2009 09:30 AM

Has anyone used MSD Adjustible Timing Control Part#8682

Has any body used the msd adjustible timing control to retard there timing for the use of nitrous, seems like it would be a good deal because you couls put it back to your performance setting after you were done spraying, and could just turn the dial back down when you were getting ready to hit the"Go Button", and not have to mess with turning the distributor by hand. Any help would be great!

thanks

izcain 04-15-2009 10:31 AM

Re: Has anyone used MSD Adjustible Timing Control Part#8682

I run one with my setup and it works flawlessly. Only problem I have found with people is that sometimes they tend to forget to retard it before the hit. One time of that and bubye!

sgreen3 04-15-2009 10:38 AM

is it pretty easy to get dialed in?

izcain 04-15-2009 10:02 PM

Takes a bit to get it. In order to get it set to have both advance and retard I just set it in the middle then set the timing where I wanted it, then adjust it from there. Just remember to retard the timing before hitting it.

I found that since I pull about 8 degrees out I end up setting the timing with the dial about 3/4's of the way up so I have alot more room for retard but not so much for advance.

sgreen3 04-16-2009 06:01 AM

Sounds very good, But sorry for so many questions but looking at the directions on line there not to detailed, but how exactly did you set it in the middle. In the directions it says something about putting the dial at 15deg i think and setting the distributor or something like that. Thanks for the help its really appreciated.
steve

sgreen3 04-16-2009 06:14 AM

I am guessing this is how you did it, Tell me if Im on track or not.

1.install timing retard with the dial on like the 13deg setting
2.start engine and adjust timing with light to the catory setting
3.adjust dial from there

if my thinking is right that would give you about 2deg of advance and about 12 deg of retard.

what do you think?

izcain 04-16-2009 10:13 AM

Yep thats how to do it if you want to be able to retard more!

Pretty simple setup really but it works well!

sgreen3 04-16-2009 10:43 AM

O ok thanks, sorry for the onslaught of questions, but i have trouble with reading directions that are not to detailed, and figureing out what they mean, much easier to find somone who has did it before, I think im going to get me one tomarrow and see how it works.
thanks again!:thanks:

leeperryracing 04-20-2009 12:53 AM

i'm using one of those timing boxes too but i turn the knob on it all the way to the 15* mark, set the timing and then retard from there....that way even with the knob turned all the way, your timing will not advance past what you originally set it at.

KITT1983 09-19-2009 07:57 PM

any updates?

westonedelbrock 09-01-2014 09:52 PM

this is an old thread but can you en buy these any more? I'm thinking of building a 377 with a 150 shot and I'm very new to the spray. I'm open for options. I'd prefer something that when I arm the system and am at WOT it retards itself but I could make due with something like this, until that time I forget to retard the timing :thanks: