Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Southern California Area (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/southern-california-area/)
-   -   3rd Gen Time Attack @ Adams Motorsports Park September 7th, 2010 (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/southern-california-area/581998-3rd-gen-time-attack.html)

JERRYWHO 07-30-2010 10:38 AM

3rd Gen Time Attack @ Adams Motorsports Park September 7th, 2010

Looks like 9-7 is the date.

More good news is the track will be timing all laps now, so no warm-up laps you will get a time for the green flag and the white flag laps.

Jerry

One more thing this is not any one club event, so how about some turn out from all the local third gens on this site that like to drive them.

Grey Goose 07-30-2010 11:25 AM

re: 3rd Gen Time Attack @ Adams Motorsports Park September 7th, 2010

I'm wide open so whenever's clever :burnout:

TPI TERR 07-30-2010 01:55 PM

my car is finally back on the road. after a month of not having spare time to work on it finally doing good. id like to go check this out since iill be off on tuesday and thursday due to school. jerry the shaft made a big difference. my steering wheel is off center but its an easy fix.

JERRYWHO 07-30-2010 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by TPI TERR (Post 4626462)
my car is finally back on the road. after a month of not having spare time to work on it finally doing good. id like to go check this out since iill be off on tuesday and thursday due to school. jerry the shaft made a big difference. my steering wheel is off center but its an easy fix.

Hope to see you at the track.

Make sure you have the wheel to box timing right, now that you can change the steering shaft one spline at a time. what ever you do don't just run down to a alignment shop and have them turn the tie rods to get the wheel centered and have the box off center.

Jerry

injdinjn 07-30-2010 08:25 PM

Lets go on 9-17 the wife's birthday LOL

I can't say for sure, I hope to take some vacations in Aug and Sept.

Pablo 07-30-2010 09:23 PM

I hope I can make both days. I need time to get things done which is in short supply these days.

89 TA 07-31-2010 12:39 AM

I'm down for any day. All im going to try is to set my caster plates all the way in and set my trailing arms parallel, and hope for a 51 flat.:driving:

07-31-2010 01:10 AM

Derek and I are going to see what we can do about getting the parts for a symetrical setup on the NASCAR supertruck and we may bring that out there for a little fun. I have to calculate the gear ratio and try and figure an estimated top speed on the back straight. I need to figure if I want to run the entire thing in 1st or first and second witht he two speed powerglide- problem is the tranny is clutchless and direct drive with a fluid break for a 3rd pedal to start and stop. Probably best we gear it for first gear only so I will have to check what gears we have for doing around 75mph at 6500rpms. This will be fun setting the truck without rules on ground clearance, etc. We will have alot of work to get it out there, we are getting together tomorrow night to discuss it.

Time to amp up Adams time attack to the next level :)

Gonna be hard to keep the cold Hoosier slicks from spinning though.- especially at those low speeds with that lightweight truck.

89 TA 07-31-2010 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Vetruck (Post 4627005)
Derek and I are going to see what we can do about getting the parts for a symetrical setup on the NASCAR supertruck and we may bring that out there for a little fun. I have to calculate the gear ratio and try and figure an estimated top speed on the back straight. I need to figure if I want to run the entire thing in 1st or first and second witht he two speed powerglide- problem is the tranny is clutchless and direct drive with a fluid break for a 3rd pedal to start and stop. Probably best we gear it for first gear only so I will have to check what gears we have for doing around 75mph at 6500rpms. This will be fun setting the truck without rules on ground clearance, etc. We will have alot of work to get it out there, we are getting together tomorrow night to discuss it.

Gonna be hard to keep the cold Hoosier slicks from spinning though.- especially at those low speeds with that lightweight truck.

That will attrack some attention.:lol:

injdinjn 07-31-2010 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Vetruck (Post 4627005)

That will be something to watch

07-31-2010 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by injdinjn (Post 4627184)
That will be something to watch

Just don't count on it yet. I have to get over to the shop this afternoon with him and see what parts we have then discuss what "guess" I want to blindly set the car up with since we have absolutely no data on a road course with this vehicle.

What spring rates is a problem- I run anywhere betten 200's and 375's up front via use of springs and sring rubbers and I run 160 LR and a 275 RR. I know I have 350s to load both fronts, but the rears I will have to check what other springs I have and try and guess a balance. I would really like to go around 225's but I we are not buying anything for just one fun jont in the park. I will be stuck with pretty much what we have laying around for circle track use- we are stuck with non symetrical shock valving also (gonna put the lefts on the right and the rights on the left since we are turning mostly rights- its just the best we can do). I will have to make new Heims for the front swaybar (we have no rear bar -Not allowed in our NASCAR division) Camber and caster will be a guess, toe should be 1/4 out. I will probable set casrter to about 4 and camber to about -3 since the tires will never get hot enough. Then we go brake bias, tire pressure, and as stated gear ratio. I have to restring the entire car and get the weight over to the right and the rear axle left along with the front suspension slightly favored left. We are 55% left weight.

Like I said, one blind run session without testing is a real crap shoot. Not enough time inbetween to make real changes with the crew and good data acquisition. It really would take me about 4 runs with 1 hour inbetween each to get the truck perfect for a track record. Hopefuly he will let me try. He's coming to pick me up at about 4pm

Thats my intention, lets see if he will ablige (fingers crossed) :) I basically have to take the entire suspension off onto the floor and reinstall everything...then put it back afterwards- ALOT of work.

89 TA 07-31-2010 02:33 PM

Just having that thing in the pits would be sweet. Do you think we can put my name on the roof where the driver name goes? :idiot: maybe just long enough for the cute cashier to notice. :thumbsup:

injdinjn 07-31-2010 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by 89 TA (Post 4627330)
Just having that thing in the pits would be sweet. Do you think we can put my name on the roof where the driver name goes? :idiot: maybe just long enough for the cute cashier to notice. :thumbsup:

Bring your Kenworth, that should get her attention.

Cute? wonder how long it's been since she's seen her naval without a mirror.:)
What color is her hair again.

89 TA 07-31-2010 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by injdinjn (Post 4627348)
wonder how long it's been since she's seen her naval without a mirror.:)
What color is her hair again.

:lmao::lmao::lmao: not sure about the hair, but she was wearing a cool shirt.

injdinjn 07-31-2010 04:19 PM

:iagree:

08-01-2010 03:46 AM

After talking more to Derek, Its just too much work and too fragile a transmission also. I did not know he put this transmission together with an aluminum final drive drum. It can shatter with lower torque loads and it also can not take extensive 1st to second shifting loads. The yranny is bult to put into second and leave there with light weight engaged rotation mass.

Even if we swapped another trans into it, will still do not have the control arms nor the spring rates and I am not in any position to be thinking about trying to buy anything right now.

It was a fun thought to bring the truck to Adams, but It just aint gonna happen- sorry for the hype.

BlackMamba 08-01-2010 12:14 PM

Drn I was hopeing to see the truck at Adams, but I think that is gonna be for a next time... man I hope to take a pic with it and to hear it..
Anyways I am gonna try to see if my boss can give me the day off that day so I can go, and also I am gonna talk with a few of my friends so we can go as a group

Valentin.

TPI TERR 08-01-2010 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by JERRYWHO (Post 4626664)
Hope to see you at the track.

Make sure you have the wheel to box timing right, now that you can change the steering shaft one spline at a time. what ever you do don't just run down to a alignment shop and have them turn the tie rods to get the wheel centered and have the box off center.

Jerry

im burnt out form the two days straight that i have been working on it. so ill be doing it on my next day off. lol

i need to adjust my rod length on the master cylinder for proper shifting at wot and test out how the car handles. but ill most likely be going to the next one to spectate get a good a look/feel of the track

89 TA 08-03-2010 09:19 PM

No date yet? i know this is the wrong place but the meeting thread is locked. are the I.E. peeps gonna meet somewhere and caravan?

JERRYWHO 08-04-2010 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 4626812)
I need time to get things done which is in short supply these days.

I can use all i can get to finish some new rear wheels, so I will be out on 9-7.

Jerry

Grey Goose 08-04-2010 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by 89 TA (Post 4630891)
I know this is the wrong place but the meeting thread is locked. are the I.E. peeps gonna meet somewhere and caravan?

Sorry about the drama Raul, it’s to the point now where all we can do is laugh. All I can say is that we are looking into it yet again… In the interim please feel free to use the SC3G board to get the latest info on the meeting & cruise ;)

injdinjn 08-04-2010 10:35 AM

Sept 7, I can do that. I don't go anywhere over labor day weekend.:driving:

JERRYWHO 08-20-2010 01:53 AM

I will be at the track on the 7th, I hope a few others will make it also.

Jerry

Grey Goose 08-20-2010 06:46 PM

I'll be there :burnout:

89 TA 08-20-2010 08:44 PM

Me 4!

JERRYWHO 08-23-2010 04:38 PM

I just got back in town so it's time to pump this event.

Jerry

TPI TERR 08-23-2010 07:45 PM

i might go spectate ill convince my friend to try it out.. saving some $ for clutch, new exhaust piping, more suspension mods at once.

injdinjn 08-23-2010 09:16 PM

I'm thinking of bringing both cars.

Grey Goose 08-24-2010 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by JERRYWHO (Post 4650496)
I just got back in town so it's time to pump this event.

Jerry

I’m all over it... you need to contact Kevin or Lon and have them change the title of this thread to “3rd Gen Time Attack @ Adams Motorsports Park September 7th, 2010” now that the date has been locked down. I’ve already have it up in the events forum on the SC3G site and on the SC3G Facebook page for a little cross promotion and have started a list of confirmed participants. ;)

Grey Goose 08-26-2010 05:00 PM

Things are looking good for the 7th! We are at roughly 10 cars now. For those of you on Facebook please visit the event page and let us know if you will be joining us.

Facebook Event Link

camaromike222 08-27-2010 11:14 AM

Re: 3rd Gen Time Attack @ Adams Motorsports Park September 7th, 2010

Blasts! I have Chem class that day (super sad face). Then again, I don't think my car is quite ready for the track. I decided a long time ago that I would built a mild auto cross/street car. This is my daily driver, so I need to be careful with it. Plus, I don't wanna run my new 315's that hard just yet.

JERRYWHO 08-27-2010 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by camaromike222 (Post 4654505)
Blasts! I have Chem class that day (super sad face). Then again, I don't think my car is quite ready for the track. I decided a long time ago that I would built a mild auto cross/street car. This is my daily driver, so I need to be careful with it. Plus, I don't wanna run my new 315's that hard just yet.

Last week one person was running a VW bug with a 8 inch lift kit and off road tires, his first lap was 69.XX. Any third gen with 315s will be in the 5X.XX range so just come out and drive the track (No sliding or tire wear) and see how fun it is and you will be ready for the next time. One other thing the track is the same every week so you can get the lines down before you go for a quick time.

Jerry

camaromike222 08-27-2010 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by JERRYWHO (Post 4654632)
Last week one person was running a VW bug with a 8 inch lift kit and off road tires, his first lap was 69.XX. Any third gen with 315s will be in the 5X.XX range so just come out and drive the track (No sliding or tire wear) and see how fun it is and you will be ready for the next time. One other thing the track is the same every week so you can get the lines down before you go for a quick time.

Jerry

Damn! I really wanna go now! How do you think a car with 275/40 front Sumitomos, rear 315/35 BFG KD DR's, front C5 and rear LS1 brakes will hold up?

I would go, seeing as I have the day off from work, but not school. I can't miss or I get left behind a lot

camaromike222 08-27-2010 02:36 PM

Oh, yeah, and I hope I can get my 2 11" widened wheels back from the machine shop next week.

Grey Goose 08-28-2010 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by camaromike222 (Post 4654505)

My car is about as mild as they come with a factory LO3 (w/377,000 on the clock), beefed up transmission, a handful of suspension mods, and some aftermarket wheels. It too is my daily driver and has been autocrossed/tracked track many times without issue. Truth be told, you can’t get going fast enough to really hurt anything on this particular track. It’s like Jerry said, come out and run some lines at a pace that is comfortable to you and where you aren’t pushing the car. It’s not about beating up the car; it’s about discovering your capabilities as a driver vs. the capabilities of your vehicle within the confines of a track that has been designed to safely challenge both you and your vehicle.

The reason we are pushing this particular session more than past sessions is that we want to offer those 3rd gen owners that have been wanting/thinking to/about running their car on a track but haven’t because they were afraid of getting embarrassed, doing something wrong, breaking down, or just plain didn’t know there was a local track. This is an opportunity for people to come out with experienced 3rd gen owners that track their vehicles and become familiar with the experience, learn the basic fundamentals of vehicle control, and discover their true capabilities as a driver. This is a great little track that offers some of the most affordable competitive motorsport that we have ever seen and we would like as many people as possible to come out and take advantage of it ;)

Originally Posted by camaromike222 (Post 4654647)
Damn! I really wanna go now! How do you think a car with 275/40 front Sumitomos, rear 315/35 BFG KD DR's, front C5 and rear LS1 brakes will hold up?

On paper it should be a top performer. However once you get behind the wheel of it on the track it’s a completely different story. If you’re running the HTRZ II series up front then you might have an issue with them promoting a little under steer as they are notorious for letting go without warning in a high g environment. Not too sure about the drag radials other then the softer sidewall. Raul (89 TA) has been running drag radials at the track and turning some good numbers but he has a mini rammed 383 so it’s hard to say… I have a feeling the shear width and softer compound would prove to be extremely beneficial moreover a regular radial. You have more than enough brake so that shouldn’t be an issue. Again, the only way to genuinely find out how it will hold up it to put it on the track and see ;)

Pablo 08-28-2010 02:06 PM

Really wish I could make it to this one. The 7th will be my first day up in the desert dealing with the heat. :(

I'll have some new tricks up my sleeve for the next one, hopefully I can make it out there soon. It looks like I'll be spending most of next month in the desert though :(

Grey Goose 08-31-2010 05:35 AM

We are a week out!

Here is the schedule of events for Tuesday September 7th, 2010
  • 5:00PM – 5:45PM Workers/Drivers/Ride-A-Longs/ - Registration Opens
  • 5:45PM – 5:55PM Drivers Meeting Session One
  • 6:00PM – 7:30PM Drivers Grip / Session One
  • 7:30PM – 7:40PM Drivers Meeting Session Two
  • 7:40PM – 8:40PM Drivers Grip / Session Two
  • 8:50PM – 9:50PM Drivers Meeting Session Three
  • 9:50PM – 10:30PM Track Cold / Clean Up
  • 10:30PM – Track Closed

Each session is $20 which will net you 6 to 8 timed runs. So if you were to take advantage of all three sessions you would be looking at $60 for the evening. This is extremely affordable considering what you will take away from the experience. For additional information please visit the Adams Motorsports Park website.

No more talking... let’s see what you’ve got ;)

camaromike222 09-01-2010 02:02 PM

Thanks for the extra encouragement, Mike. Unfortunately I havn't gotten my wheels back from the machine shop yet. It's still early, but I still need to fit them. I asked for a couple of days off from work next week in hopes I'll finally have my wheels done. I'll take that time to make them fit perfectly (to my taste) in my car.

Thanks again, Mike :chevy:

BlackMamba 09-01-2010 04:26 PM

Hopefully I get the day off that day since my boss is still not letting me get the 7th off... insteads she though that giving me the day off my b day would of help me but it didn't which sucks.... I got my camaro running well and am ready for Adams... hopefull they will let me change out the rear tires before I get on the track (since I use the extra for a track/drag strip)
I guess I will have to see what happens... and also I guess I will take my chance with my car little higher from the front since I won't have time to change out the springs until Nov/Dec when I get to do my front end rebuild... can't wait to even out the car again..

Grey Goose 09-02-2010 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by camaromike222 (Post 4659923)
Thanks for the extra encouragement, Mike. Unfortunately I havn't gotten my wheels back from the machine shop yet. It's still early, but I still need to fit them. I asked for a couple of days off from work next week in hopes I'll finally have my wheels done. I'll take that time to make them fit perfectly (to my taste) in my car. Thanks again, Mike :chevy:

Right on, you’re car looks sick as hell now. I can only imagine how sinister it’s going to look with those massive hides out back. I’m going to record some in car video for the first session and then from the stands for the other. So between my and everyone else’s footage we should have the event covered. I’ll have it up as soon after the event as possible for everyone to enjoy.

Originally Posted by saritasan (Post 4660013)
Hopefully I get the day off that day since my boss is still not letting me get the 7th off... insteads she though that giving me the day off my b day would of help me but it didn't which sucks.... I got my camaro running well and am ready for Adams... hopefull they will let me change out the rear tires before I get on the track (since I use the extra for a track/drag strip)

I guess I will have to see what happens... and also I guess I will take my chance with my car little higher from the front since I won't have time to change out the springs until Nov/Dec when I get to do my front end rebuild... can't wait to even out the car again..

Well keep us posted on whether or not you will be able to make it. I have found that leaving North Orange County between 2:30-3PM is optimal. So we can meet up at my house and follow each other to the track. Don’t worry about switching tires at the track. There is plenty of time/space to do whatever you need to do before the first session.

Grey Goose 09-05-2010 04:40 PM

There’s something to be said for spending a few hours of quality time on Uncle Jerry’s rack… Michael Angelo, Van Gogh, Matisse, have got nothing on Uncle Jerry when he’s creating a masterpiece with his tig. I really appreciate your time and help today. I really looking forward to seeing how the new muffler bearings work on the track Tuesday ;)

injdinjn 09-05-2010 05:14 PM

Not fair, I protest.

Grey Goose 09-05-2010 05:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by injdinjn (Post 4663879)
Not fair, I protest.

There’s nothing to protest… I take complete responsibility for allowing the muffler get to this point. Jerry was kind enough to replace them and now the exhaust comes out like it’s supposed to, VROOOM!!!

injdinjn 09-05-2010 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Grey Goose (Post 4663891)
There’s nothing to protest… I take complete responsibility for allowing the muffler get to this point. Jerry was kind enough to replace them and now the exhaust comes out like it’s supposed to, VROOOM!!!

Anyone who believes that, I have a bridge to sell them.:waveman:

09-05-2010 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Grey Goose (Post 4663858)
There’s something to be said for spending a few hours of quality time on Uncle Jerry’s rack… Michael Angelo, Van Gogh, Matisse, have got nothing on Uncle Jerry when he’s creating a masterpiece with his tig. I really appreciate your time and help today. I really looking forward to seeing how the new muffler bearings work on the track Tuesday ;)

Gee, lets guess...Panhard relocator. Good deal:thumbsup:

I have my work cut out for me tomorrow- gonna be a full day.

The shocks are suppose to be back at the shop on Tuesday- I hope the shipping company gets them there by about 2pm.

I am out of camber and caster adjustments. I will need to make new arm lengths in the near future. I am able to get about a 1/2* more of each at most- that combined with the bad upper balljoints I just discovered 3 days ago and it just wont be right for any real competition. I will just be putting on a little show that day for the crowd. The front end feels much better, but it still needs work. This thing just is too heavy and takes way too much maintinance to keep in tip top shape. I am just planning on airing up the rears a few pounds and putting on a slightly higher valved rear shock combo and do a little drifting with the street rubber on it this time.

My first run may get cut short if my passenger gets scared. SHe doesn't do well on rollercoasters but insists she will be fine since we are on the ground. Dont think she has ever experienced a heavy helmet on her head banging into the safety cage on every transition- better make sure I pad her side real well or it will be one short romance.

89 TA 09-06-2010 02:39 PM

My first run may get cut short if my passenger gets scared. SHe doesn't do well on rollercoasters but insists she will be fine since we are on the ground. Dont think she has ever experienced a heavy helmet on her head banging into the safety cage on every transition- better make sure I pad her side real well or it will be one short romance.[/QUOTE]

Sounds to me like your gonna be in the same boat Vince was a couple of weeks ago. :lol:

TPI TERR 09-06-2010 06:56 PM

Ill be out there tmrw I wanna spectate check out your guys cars out.. what time are u guys ganna be there??

Grey Goose 09-06-2010 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by TPI TERR (Post 4664985)
What time are u guys ganna be there??

I usually leave Orange County at 3 o’clock which puts me in the vicinity of the track between 3:50-4:10. I grab something to eat at the local Farmer Boys so I actually get to the track around 5.

JERRYWHO 09-06-2010 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Grey Goose (Post 4663858)
I really looking forward to seeing how the new muffler bearings work on the track Tuesday ;)

Don't let Mike fool, you we installed a larger one, not just a replacement bearing.

Jerry

JERRYWHO 09-06-2010 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by TPI TERR (Post 4664985)
what time are u guys ganna be there??

About 5:30 or so, I think i will run in the first and last groups.

Jerry