Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Southern California Area (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/southern-california-area/)
-   -   Sub frame replacement (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/southern-california-area/755346-sub-frame-replacement.html)

89-IR0C-T-TOP 08-13-2018 02:16 PM

Sub frame replacement

Has anyone had any luck replacing the entire front subrame?
My new to me IROC has frame damage.There are a few cracks in the front sub frame, the front passenger side bumper support was smashed pretty good, I have managed to beat it back and make the bumper support at least line up and bolt on but there is still a gap between the bumper support and the frame. I have the imfamous crack wehre the steering gear box bolts to the frame. The entire front geometry is off. I have no idea how this thing still drives straight! I have a doner car that has a good front subframe.. Im wondering if any one has done this before, if so was it hard?
What issues should i expect to run into?

daferris 08-13-2018 06:38 PM

Re: Sub frame replacement

A total PITA... It goes all the way back to the trans cross member. Tons of spot welds to com out then when you go to put it back on you need to make a jig to hold it in place when you weld it in.
not that it can't be done but it's the most stressed part and carries the highest loads of any part of the uni body

89-IR0C-T-TOP 08-13-2018 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by daferris (Post 6244068)
A total PITA... It goes all the way back to the trans cross member. Tons of spot welds to com out then when you go to put it back on you need to make a jig to hold it in place when you weld it in.
not that it can't be done but it's the most stressed part and carries the highest loads of any part of the uni body

I think I'll just reinforce it with subframe connectors, wonder bar and a strut tower bar.
Any advice?
I'll take pictures and upload them so you guys can get a better idea of what I'm dealing with.

Drew 08-13-2018 08:53 PM

Hire a professional. Ok, wait, stop... Consult... yes, consult a professional with experience repairing damaged unibody frames. After they get done telling you the nice version of "no way in hell", just throw it away and get one that hasn't been smashy-smashy'd. Transfer good parts from the hit by a train donor to one that hasn't been hit by a train, and away you go with a car that's not been destroyed by a speeding locomotive.

Subframe connectors are a band aid for cars that haven't been smashed, not a fix for a damaged frame. Get a good chassis and start building it.

89-IR0C-T-TOP 08-13-2018 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Drew (Post 6244101)
Hire a professional. Ok, wait, stop... Consult... yes, consult a professional with experience repairing damaged unibody frames. After they get done telling you the nice version of "no way in hell", just throw it away and get one that hasn't been smashy-smashy'd. Transfer good parts from the hit by a train donor to one that hasn't been hit by a train, and away you go with a car that's not been destroyed by a speeding locomotive.

Subframe connectors are a band aid for cars that haven't been smashed, not a fix for a damaged frame. Get a good chassis and start building it.

thanks.