Southern California Area Southern California Members.

Sub frame replacement

Old 08-13-2018, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sub frame replacement

Has anyone had any luck replacing the entire front subrame?
My new to me IROC has frame damage.There are a few cracks in the front sub frame, the front passenger side bumper support was smashed pretty good, I have managed to beat it back and make the bumper support at least line up and bolt on but there is still a gap between the bumper support and the frame. I have the imfamous crack wehre the steering gear box bolts to the frame. The entire front geometry is off. I have no idea how this thing still drives straight! I have a doner car that has a good front subframe.. Im wondering if any one has done this before, if so was it hard?
What issues should i expect to run into?
Old 08-13-2018, 06:38 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Car: One owner '88 IROC 50k
Engine: L98 with bolt ons.
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3:42 again
Re: Sub frame replacement

A total PITA... It goes all the way back to the trans cross member. Tons of spot welds to com out then when you go to put it back on you need to make a jig to hold it in place when you weld it in.
not that it can't be done but it's the most stressed part and carries the highest loads of any part of the uni body
Old 08-13-2018, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by daferris
A total PITA... It goes all the way back to the trans cross member. Tons of spot welds to com out then when you go to put it back on you need to make a jig to hold it in place when you weld it in.
not that it can't be done but it's the most stressed part and carries the highest loads of any part of the uni body
I think I'll just reinforce it with subframe connectors, wonder bar and a strut tower bar.
Any advice?
I'll take pictures and upload them so you guys can get a better idea of what I'm dealing with.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Hire a professional. Ok, wait, stop... Consult... yes, consult a professional with experience repairing damaged unibody frames. After they get done telling you the nice version of "no way in hell", just throw it away and get one that hasn't been smashy-smashy'd. Transfer good parts from the hit by a train donor to one that hasn't been hit by a train, and away you go with a car that's not been destroyed by a speeding locomotive.

Subframe connectors are a band aid for cars that haven't been smashed, not a fix for a damaged frame. Get a good chassis and start building it.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Drew
Hire a professional. Ok, wait, stop... Consult... yes, consult a professional with experience repairing damaged unibody frames. After they get done telling you the nice version of "no way in hell", just throw it away and get one that hasn't been smashy-smashy'd. Transfer good parts from the hit by a train donor to one that hasn't been hit by a train, and away you go with a car that's not been destroyed by a speeding locomotive.

Subframe connectors are a band aid for cars that haven't been smashed, not a fix for a damaged frame. Get a good chassis and start building it.
thanks.