Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Suspension and Chassis (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/)
-   -   Help with stance of the trans am (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/254535-help-stance-trans-am.html)

nolanr0413 08-10-2004 06:37 PM

Help with stance of the trans am

1 Attachment(s)
My 85 ta sits way too high and i have sportline springs on it. I took the isolators out and have heater hose taped to them so that thier isnt a metal to metal contact. I just put some new bilsteins on and cut off half a coil and the car still sits too damn high. I think it has something to do with the chrysler rear end and the axle tubes being bigger so that it raised up the car . Im wondering if i should cut another half coil off and if i do will it cause any trouble.

megaracerx 08-10-2004 07:07 PM

it looks fine to me...maybe the stock wheels are throwing you off?

85VortecTA 08-14-2004 10:56 AM

It also look spetty good to me, you have perfect fender gap, do you want the tire to sit in the fender because that would be way to low.

Cadillac 08-14-2004 11:11 AM

I'm betting a larger rim with some lower profile tires will give you the look you are going for. Either that or you could go for some GTA rims. The place linked below apparently has a good deal on some GTA rims:

Classic Industries Catalog DL

But really... the car looks great to me.

nolanr0413 08-14-2004 11:21 AM

must be u missed the thread , i got new rims.

SLP IROC-Z 08-14-2004 12:26 PM

i believe 1 coil will lower the car half an inch, half a coil really isnt noticable, .25 inch or so.

nolanr0413 08-14-2004 04:11 PM

looks like another half coil is coming off soon. Also can i change the spring without taking off the rear rims, ive always taken em off b4 and i wonder if i can do it without taking them off. also slp iroc z hows the ride , i have new bilsteins in the rear , and i still wanna lower it more, i think it needs it . How did u get yours so low, and dont you scrape everything with the front now .

Joez88Camaro 08-14-2004 07:49 PM

Changing the rear springs and shocks was easy for me, I just jacked it up my the axle, put some jackstands under the CHASSIS, then slowly lowered the axle making sure not to destroy the brake line. From there I managed to pop out the old springs by hand and put in my prokit. You might have to loosen the brake line from the chassis, but I didn't have to at all. Did the shocks at the same time and didn't have any issues nor did I see any reason to take off the wheels.

nolanr0413 08-15-2004 03:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
well now i just want an answer as to why my car sits so high with a half coil cut and no insulator. The only thing i can think of is that the rear end spring perhes are up higher on the axle and this is why it sits high. I think im gonna take another half a coil off.

SLP IROC-Z 08-15-2004 07:21 PM

Originally posted by nolanr0413
well now i just want an answer as to why my car sits so high with a half coil cut and no insulator. The only thing i can think of is that the rear end spring perhes are up higher on the axle and this is why it sits high. I think im gonna take another half a coil off.

personally i think that stance is perfect, a little rake is good.

my sportlines are stock, i didnt cut them. however i did not use isolators in the rear when i installed them.

oh yeah, i think my car rides really good with these springs in it, the stock springs never gave as nice of a ride. better handling and better ride, and great stance, i love em.

novass 08-15-2004 07:53 PM

Those rims have totally transformed your car!!:thumbsup:

DuronClocker 08-15-2004 11:32 PM

You only have like and inch and a half ground clearance with your air dam as it is.. why go lower? It looks great. Nice rims by the way, what size are they? I'm going to be putting some C5 17" fronts and 18" rears on my car come spring (buying rims in a few days). Too bad the 35 and 40 profile tires are going to cost me $700+

nolanr0413 08-16-2004 06:22 AM

the size of the rims are in the sig. slp iroc do your springs squeak without the isolators.

SLP IROC-Z 08-16-2004 06:24 PM

Originally posted by nolanr0413
the size of the rims are in the sig. slp iroc do your springs squeak without the isolators.
no they dont, and mine are metal to metal, no hose ont he spring or anything. but then again i only got to use em for a couple hundred miles before my car got hit :(

FOX-GTA_89 08-16-2004 07:04 PM

awsome car.

look good to me keep it like that! i love wings mags and hood combinaison!

nolanr0413 08-20-2004 08:57 AM

i fixed the stance , i cut another half coil off for a total of 1 whole coil, the car now sits where it should for having a sportline kit installed.