Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Suspension and Chassis (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/)
-   -   Wonder Bar (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/465817-wonder-bar.html)

Dubya 03-16-2008 12:44 AM

Wonder Bar

So, I lost the instructionis where and how to install my wonder bar
can anyone give me the info so i can install it?

83Firebird420 03-16-2008 01:24 AM

Re: Wonder Bar

its not hard. where the front sway bar is held on by 3 bolts to the frame, undo them, they are 15mm. the bar will just kinda fall so be careful. put the wonder bar in place, and bring the sway bar back up and hand thread the 6 nuts back in bolt em up, and ur good to go. this is a very nice upgrade, it works!...Makes u wonder why they only did it for the irocs that one year, and not for every 3rdgen.

Dubya 03-16-2008 01:41 AM

awesome. appreciate the help. just want to make sure im gunna be bolting it up correctly

Al Hasse 03-16-2008 02:01 AM

Should look something like this when you finish, this is my UMI wonderbar in front of a 34mm swaybar. Just undo the bushings to lower the swaybar , insert the wonderbar, then reconnect the swaybar bushings. There is only 2 bolts per bushing, so only 4 unless you get the end links too.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f9...S/P1010775.jpg

JamesC 03-16-2008 05:36 AM

If you haven't, you might consider swapping in some poly sway bar bushings and end links while you're at it.

JamesC

91_5.7_TPI 03-16-2008 01:44 PM

Pic of my Spohn wonder bar with the stock 34mm sway bar:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...531_6_full.jpg
It's a very simple install. Just loosen the sway bar end links, take off the bolts holding the sway bar to the chassis, line the bolts up with both the wonder bar mounts and the sway bar bushings. This is the fun part...lol. It can be done solo, but a friend would be helpfull. Make sure to tighten the endlinks back up.

samiam91RS 03-17-2008 03:37 PM

WTF is a wonder bar? was it only for z28 applications? i dont think i have one on my RS am i right someone?

brodysZ28 03-17-2008 03:50 PM

does it just do the same as a bigger sway bar? limit body roll?

91_5.7_TPI 03-17-2008 04:08 PM

They only came on some IROCs. I doubt you'll have one on the RS, but it's easy to spot if you do.
It's a type of frame stiffener. The two parts of the front sub-frame have no connection at the front. They are just haning out there in space after the motor mounts. This serves as part of the sub-frame and makes the front of the car more rigid. It also reinforces the area around the steering box which is prone to cracking under high stress driving or when running larger wheels (17s and up, or tire widths greater than 245).

JamesC 03-17-2008 05:01 PM

The Wonderbar is, quite simply, a Bandaid to strengthen the steering box area (originally on IROC's which at the time were equipped with 16" wheels). It's a nice preventive, and I certainly recommend it as such, but if you're expecting "wonders" from it where performance is concerned, save you money.

JamesC

krisb410 03-17-2008 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by JamesC (Post 3681468)
The Wonderbar is, quite simply, a Bandaid to strengthen the steering box area (originally on IROC's which at the time were equipped with 16" wheels). It's a nice preventive, and I certainly recommend it as such, but if you're expecting "wonders" from it where performance is concerned, save you money.

JamesC

But it's so cheap, why not put one on?

KYLE87 03-17-2008 10:57 PM

I actually feel it did wonders for my car. I got the TDS one and the car felt great afterwards

micktroup 03-18-2008 01:24 AM

I don't know what JamesC is talking about- I put my Top Down Solutions bar on in about 20 minutes and noticed an improvement DRIVING OUT THE DRIVEWAY! The front end was much more 'connected' to the steering wheel, if that makes sense...the problem with these cars is the multiple ways they flex- anything that stiffens the frame is an improvement.
BTW, the TDS wonderbar is terrific- it has a 3rd hole at each end, which means that once you drop the swaybar, you can use the extra bolt holes to mount the bar with one bolt at each end, THEN swing the swaybar up and remount it. So much easier for those of us that have no friends to help...

Darkshot 03-18-2008 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by micktroup (Post 3682067)
I don't know what JamesC is talking about- I put my Top Down Solutions bar on in about 20 minutes and noticed an improvement DRIVING OUT THE DRIVEWAY! The front end was much more 'connected' to the steering wheel, if that makes sense...the problem with these cars is the multiple ways they flex- anything that stiffens the frame is an improvement.
BTW, the TDS wonderbar is terrific- it has a 3rd hole at each end, which means that once you drop the swaybar, you can use the extra bolt holes to mount the bar with one bolt at each end, THEN swing the swaybar up and remount it. So much easier for those of us that have no friends to help...

:yup::yup::yup:

JamesC 03-18-2008 05:23 AM

Spend the money, feel the difference. I suggest that most people in a blind test couldn't determine whether a Wonderbar was in place or not. At any rate, the brace can't hurt (and if you "feel" a difference, wonderful).

JamesC

91_5.7_TPI 03-18-2008 05:06 PM

I didn't notice any improvement in performance, but the steering did feel better after installing mine. Wasn't a large difference like struts, but there was improvement.

KYLE87 03-18-2008 05:30 PM

I felt more difference in mine than when I did the struts the month before

91_5.7_TPI 03-18-2008 06:02 PM

Maybe you should have went with better struts... :nod:

Imadude_134 03-20-2008 04:12 PM

I noticed a difference on my 91 RS after I put my TDS wonderbar on... not necessarily in handling (a little bit, but not too much), but the main difference that I notice is when entering driveways at an angle or taking speed bumps and dips anything but straight on. The car makes a ton less noise and the steering wheel doesn't jolt as much as it did before...

It may be all in my head... but I did notice the difference :2cents:

87 formy 03-20-2008 04:30 PM

I noticed a huge difference after I put in my steering brace, whole car felt a lot more stiff... or maybe it was the subframe connectors I installed at the same time :)

I have no idea if it made any difference now because I give all of the credit to the SFCs :lmao:

z28gsxr 03-20-2008 04:30 PM

good to know :thumbsup: i just purchased one to put in my 91 vert but haven't gotten around to installing it. once i finish the 5spd swap i'll bolt it on

KYLE87 03-20-2008 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by 91_5.7_TPI (Post 3682791)
Maybe you should have went with better struts... :nod:

You could be right, but still I felt a noticable difference with the wonderbar.

572_Rat 03-20-2008 05:04 PM

Has anyone tried the Spohn adjustable wonder bar

91_5.7_TPI 03-20-2008 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by camaropunk (Post 3685390)
You could be right, but still I felt a noticable difference with the wonderbar.

So did I. But, the difference from my old 1.5 year old Monroes to the KONIs was huge

Imadude_134 03-21-2008 12:26 AM

Here is my TDS Wonderbar on my 91 RS... One of the best improvements I did (next to the L98...) I cant wait to get some SFCs... cuz if the wonderbar does "so little" yet I noticed the difference, I cant wait to see how much the difference SFCs make :thumbsup::lmao:

Imadude_134 03-21-2008 12:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oops, forgot to attach the pic

Jason E 03-21-2008 12:36 PM

I did too much at once to really tell what did what, but when I added an Edelbrock STB, TDS Wonderbar and bolted-on TDS SFCs, the car felt significantly tighter. However, I'm welding the TDSs on shortly and possibly adding a second set...I still get more creaks and squeaks than I expected...