Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Suspension and Chassis (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/)
-   -   Poly Inserts (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/561183-poly-inserts.html)

rs_z28_vert 02-24-2010 01:04 AM

Poly Inserts

Hey guys,
Could you tell me how and how hard it is to install poly engine mount inserts? Also, is it worth the hassle? One more thing, I have a steering box from a 1985 z28, is it a close ratio steering box? Thanx in advance.

JamesC 02-24-2010 07:12 AM

Re: Poly Inserts

Originally Posted by rs_z28_vert (Post 4448172)
Hey guys,
Could you tell me how and how hard it is to install poly engine mount inserts? Also, is it worth the hassle? One more thing, I have a steering box from a 1985 z28, is it a close ratio steering box?

It's been a long while since I messed with the motor mounts, but as I recall, the mount has to be removed. For ES, you have to use the OE clam shell. To insert the poly mount, you need to drill out the welds, then reweld after inserting the mount. The process is a pain, but like all the OE rubber on your car, the mounts have probably taken a dump--they had on my 85.

Here's some general info (I'd like to give credit, but I don't recall where I found the info):

• “WS” – 1982-1992 Camaro – 12.7:1 ratio (just like your Z/28, this may be the box that you Z originally had.

• “XH” – 1985-1992 Camaro – 12.7:1 ratio (this box was also installed on Z/28’s and other high performance Camaros; it has slightly more steering effort required than the WS box.) NOTE – I believe this box was used on cars originally equipped with 16” wheels

• “WN” – 1982-1985 Camaro – 14.1 ratio

• “WP” – 1982-1985 Camaro – 13:1-15:1 variable ratio (used in Berlinettas, least steering effort required of all third gen. Camaro steering boxes)

• “JL” – 1986-1992 Camaro – 14.1 ratio (base Camaro steering box)

JamesC

Drew 02-24-2010 07:34 AM

Energy Suspension supplies giant zip ties. After you remove the rubber insert, and get the poly insert in place, you zip tie the bracket around the insert, bolt it to the crossmember, then cut the zip ties. Welding the brackets back together would work, but it's not really necessary.

Edit: I guess I forgot to answer the question. I don't know if they're really worth the trouble. I put a set in my 86 T/A when I switched from the 305 to a 350. They didn't feel any different then stock rubber, but I think they did a better job. The hardest part was getting the nuts and washers up in the crossmember. My solution was to superglue the washers to the nuts, then use a wobble joint. Of course I did mine with the engine out of the car. I don't think I'd bother if the engine wasn't coming out for some reason.

rs_z28_vert 02-24-2010 01:54 PM

Thanx James and Drew. I think I will go ahead and put the poly mounts in since i am doing a motor change as soon as it comes from the machine shop. 327 bored .040 with vortec heads, tbi, and EBL if your wondering. The engine swap is happening on my 88 vert, I had the 85 for parts. I'm swapping to a t5, thisis the reason for the mounts, I've been told that poly engine and trans mounts along with othyer things extend the longevity of a t5 because there is alot less twist with the mounts and SFC's. So would I be better off with the steering box from the 85 z28 or the one that is already in my 88 S/C? Thanx again for the responses guys.

//<86TA>\\ 02-24-2010 09:56 PM

the mounts are a thousand times easier to do with the a-arms and suspension removed.

Drew, i like the superglue idea.

as for needing the mounts, its not a bad idea, but it will raise the engine a bit, since the rubber mushes under the weight of the engine where the poly doesnt as much.

you have to see what box you have to determine if the 85 one is better, however, being a 25 year old part, it could be in dire need of a rebuild