Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Suspension and Chassis (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/)
-   -   tires tilted after control arm replace (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/625269-tires-tilted-after-control.html)

0pyders 08-21-2011 12:28 PM

tires tilted after control arm replace

They're making a wide V shape. I never touched the struts. Would it be something to do with the ball joint stud being pivoted wrong when I reinstalled the a arms?

08-21-2011 12:32 PM

Re: tires tilted after control arm replace

If you also changed springs, then they'll need a couple of weeks of driving to take a set. With used old springs, IDK if they need to re-set or not.

0pyders 08-21-2011 12:46 PM

I reused my springs.

//<86TA>\\ 08-21-2011 07:38 PM

did you index them correctly? roll the car or drive it around and the bushings and such will settle/relax and it should be better. The balljoint cannot be installed wrong.

did you unbolt the struts from the spindle? if you did, you have changed the alignment and will need to have it all check and corrected

0pyders 08-21-2011 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\ (Post 5016556)
did you index them correctly? roll the car or drive it around and the bushings and such will settle/relax and it should be better. The balljoint cannot be installed wrong.

did you unbolt the struts from the spindle? if you did, you have changed the alignment and will need to have it all check and corrected

Yes I made sure I installed the springs in right (I followed the "suspension how to" sticky). Did not unbolt the struts from the spindle. I think I'll drive it around the block for a little while and see if that does it. Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it.

AM91Camaro_RS 08-25-2011 10:08 PM

your title says control arm replace... need some more info here. if you installed a different arm than was there, that could be what affected your camber. what was the reason for replacing? ride height look normal?

0pyders 08-27-2011 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by AM91Camaro_RS (Post 5020814)
your title says control arm replace... need some more info here. if you installed a different arm than was there, that could be what affected your camber. what was the reason for replacing? ride height look normal?

One of the arms was different than the ones I took off. The arm I bought was a 1990 stock firebird arm while mine was an 86. I replaced it because I accidentally bent my old a- arm trying to replace the bushings. Ride height does look normal. I looked at my bent arm and the replacement and they both looked the exact same in every way (except the bent part lol).

AM91Camaro_RS 08-28-2011 11:42 AM

If you didn't mess with the struts at all then I would say that your problem is in the length of the a-arm. The length of the a-arm will move the bottom of your tire in or out for obvious reasons. There isn't any damage on the k-member, right?

0pyders 08-28-2011 08:08 PM

no damage on the k-member.
Can't it just be fixed with an alignment? Like maybe have more or less camber on one side to balance it out?

BlackenedBird 08-28-2011 08:52 PM

Have you moved the car yet? Until it is moved, maybe 50 feet or so at least, everything will "look" wrong. 3rd Gens need to move for everything to settle into place.

AM91Camaro_RS 08-28-2011 09:07 PM

It could possibly be fixed with an alignment. depends on the current position of the top strut mount and how far out of alignment it is. BlackenedBird has a good point. I just assumed you had moved the car already...if you haven't, you need to do that. Any car needs to be moved back and forth some (or just driven around some) to let the suspension settle after being jacked up.

0pyders 08-28-2011 09:20 PM

Car has not moved an inch in 2 years. I bet that's it.