Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Suspension and Chassis (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/)
-   -   Lowered my 91 Z28 (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/667163-lowered-my-91-z28.html)

jbenge 11-18-2012 05:56 PM

Lowered my 91 Z28

2 Attachment(s)
I finally got around to lowering my 91 Z28 this weekend. I wanted to lower it enough to be noticable but not too much where it would bottom out easily or scrape coming in/out of the curb at the bottom of the driveway. I almost bought Hotchis springs but decided I would try cutting the stock ones, so far I'm happy with the results. Down the road I may get the hotchis springs and a good set of shocks/struts when I get more serious about making the car handle.

I took the stock front springs out and cut 1/2 coil from them. On the rear I removed the isolators and cut about 1/3 coil off. Its almost level, the rear fender lip is slightly higher than the front, has about 1/4in of rake.

Now I need to get it aligned.

Buggy Disaster 11-18-2012 11:18 PM

Re: Lowered my 91 Z28

Nice car. The stance looks great.

paul_huryk 11-19-2012 07:43 AM

Looking good!

InfernalVortex 11-19-2012 08:35 AM

That looks great. Ive always wondered how these would look lowered on the stock wheels, you happen to have any shots of that? Yours are a huge improvement for sure. Nice car.

Confuzed1 11-19-2012 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by jbenge (Post 5426961)
I finally got around to lowering my 91 Z28 this weekend. I wanted to lower it enough to be noticable but not too much where it would bottom out easily or scrape coming in/out of the curb at the bottom of the driveway. I almost bought Hotchis springs but decided I would try cutting the stock ones, so far I'm happy with the results. Down the road I may get the hotchis springs and a good set of shocks/struts when I get more serious about making the car handle.

I took the stock front springs out and cut 1/2 coil from them. On the rear I removed the isolators and cut about 1/3 coil off. Its almost level, the rear fender lip is slightly higher than the front, has about 1/4in of rake.

Now I need to get it aligned.

Looks like you lowered it just the right amount. Looks great! Is it me, or does it seem like us seniors on the board are finally giving in to the lowering craze here lately??

Just watch....next year the craze will be to raise the car in all 4 corners...and red wheels! :lmao:

But seriously, get some good struts and shocks under it, and you'll be amazed at how much better it'll handle...I know mine does!

jbenge 11-19-2012 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by InfernalVortex (Post 5427379)
That looks great. Ive always wondered how these would look lowered on the stock wheels, you happen to have any shots of that? Yours are a huge improvement for sure. Nice car.

I don't have any pics of it lowered with the stock wheels. I'll be putting those on in Jan. when I take it to my painter. I'll try to remember to take a couple pics.

jbenge 11-19-2012 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Confuzed1 (Post 5427579)
Looks like you lowered it just the right amount. Looks great! Is it me, or does it seem like us seniors on the board are finally giving in to the lowering craze here lately??

Just watch....next year the craze will be to raise the car in all 4 corners...and red wheels! :lmao:

But seriously, get some good struts and shocks under it, and you'll be amazed at how much better it'll handle...I know mine does!

Thanks for the comments! Part of why I lowered mine was that I liked how yours looked so much after lowering. Now that we old guys have finally lowered our cars and went to 17in wheels all of the cutting edge cars have gone to 18-19in wheels and lower than our cars.

Good shocks and struts are on the list of upgrades. Paint will eat up the budget this winter though.

Tibo 11-29-2012 10:01 PM

I replaced my springs with new Moogs and even after cutting 1/2 coil and removing the isolators it still sat high.

jbenge 11-30-2012 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Tibo (Post 5435054)
I replaced my springs with new Moogs and even after cutting 1/2 coil and removing the isolators it still sat high.

I put brand new moog springs on the rear of my 84, it sat like a 4x4 even with the isolators removed. Had to cut a full coil off to get the ride height where I wanted it.

Tibo 11-30-2012 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by jbenge (Post 5435168)
I put brand new moog springs on the rear of my 84, it sat like a 4x4 even with the isolators removed. Had to cut a full coil off to get the ride height where I wanted it.

Ditto! I'm replacing the a arms a k member with tubular pieces and cutting another 1/2 coil, hope this helps me.

Confuzed1 11-30-2012 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by jbenge (Post 5427601)
Thanks for the comments! Part of why I lowered mine was that I liked how yours looked so much after lowering. Now that we old guys have finally lowered our cars and went to 17in wheels all of the cutting edge cars have gone to 18-19in wheels and lower than our cars.

Good shocks and struts are on the list of upgrades. Paint will eat up the budget this winter though.

Curious...are ya sticking with the same white, or going to paint it something different? -Oh - and Thx for your comment also! :)

jbenge 11-30-2012 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Confuzed1 (Post 5435327)
Curious...are ya sticking with the same white, or going to paint it something different? -Oh - and Thx for your comment also! :)

Painting it the same white and adding black heritage stripes.