Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   TBI (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/)
-   -   An SS hood on a 92 TBI (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/135296-ss-hood-92-tbi.html)

samdog1232000 09-30-2002 04:29 PM

An SS hood on a 92 TBI

I am searching magazines frantically to find an air box that will work on a 92 camaro RS that has TBI. Is there any companies that make an air box that will make my new SS hood functional???????? PLEASE HELP ME

bbtaz97 09-30-2002 05:20 PM

no that i have found yet.. your best option is to make something your self.. thats what i plan to do once i get the hood.. .

brodyscamaro 09-30-2002 06:00 PM

since nobody makes an airbox just go ahead and send me the hood

AJ_92RS 09-30-2002 11:14 PM

Originally posted by brodyscamaro
since nobody makes an airbox just go ahead and send me the hood

:mad: NO ME!!!!! :mad:

AJ

NJ SPEEDER 10-01-2002 04:54 PM

if you have a flat base open element you are already half way to having a really simple and functional box for it.
simply make a square off of the base that is a little wider and a touich deepr than the scoop opening. cut a hole out of it that is a little bigger than the raised spot in the base that clears the throttle linkage. than simply pop rivet the square to the bottom of the open element. now get some foam and make walls at teh edge of the square(glue foam to new wider base:D) that will be tall enough to touch the hood when it is closed.
then just install it like you did before. the stud and element you used before will be enough to hold it on firmly and level. the foam will also allow for the engiens natural movement when you hit the gas.

later
tim

racereno 10-02-2002 06:48 AM

http://www.ramairbox.com Here's a few parts that might help.

samdog1232000 10-10-2002 01:43 PM

I just want a hood that is functional. I know there is someway to do it or buy something. I just dont want it to be a crappy setup.

FLYNLOW92rs 10-13-2002 01:39 PM

Originally posted by samdog1232000
I just want a hood that is functional. I know there is someway to do it or buy something. I just dont want it to be a crappy setup.
They don't sell kits, which means you gotta get creative and make one..........

Black_Widdow 10-13-2002 09:45 PM

Originally posted by NJ SPEEDER
if you have a flat base open element you are already half way to having a really simple and functional box for it.
simply make a square off of the base that is a little wider and a touich deepr than the scoop opening. cut a hole out of it that is a little bigger than the raised spot in the base that clears the throttle linkage. than simply pop rivet the square to the bottom of the open element. now get some foam and make walls at teh edge of the square(glue foam to new wider base:D) that will be tall enough to touch the hood when it is closed.
then just install it like you did before. the stud and element you used before will be enough to hold it on firmly and level. the foam will also allow for the engiens natural movement when you hit the gas.

later
tim

Would this be bad weather (rain) friendly? Wouldn't you have to make some sort of route for the water to get it away from the air cleaner or worse yet the throttle bores? I would like to try this but it seem s like a pain in the a$s:mad:

r90camarors 10-13-2002 11:47 PM

I think GTA automotive (sponser at top of page) sells a ram air box. It says for TPIs only, but with a little extra work you could use it. Really, all you would need to do is this: Use a Caddy air box, like CHEVYTOWN is using on his truck. Then measure out where the ram air bow needs to go. Then, use PCV pipe or something of that sort of proper diameter, cut to proper length and secure it. You may need to fab a bracket for the air box, but that should be pretty easy to do. I think the ram air box kit sells for $180 w/ k&N.
As far as the rain thing goes, I don't know. You could try to email GTA Automotive, and see what they say. Good Luck!!!

racereno 10-16-2002 07:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Most guys use something like this, square or round.

Ithink this is something like NJS is talkin' about.