Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   TBI (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/)
-   -   Help.... (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/224575-help.html)

chingon88cam 02-19-2004 11:01 AM

Help....

Everytime i'm gonna start my car it always takes about 5-10 secs. to start... could it be fuel pump or relay. I already put a relaly in but it worked only for like 2 days and then it went back to the same thing... pls don't tell me i need a new fuel pump... thas a bisssch to change.

ShiftyCapone 02-19-2004 11:06 AM

It could be your oil sending unit. In a nut shell if it does not see oil pressure right away it will delay the fuel from starting the car. After a few seconds of cranking you build a little pressure and it will fire.

chingon88cam 02-19-2004 11:09 AM

thanx... i'll give that a try.

nick harmon 02-19-2004 12:40 PM

same as shifty said....mine is the exact same, when its cold...about 4 secs of cranking. when its warmed up...it takes about 1-2 secs...

Fairly Strange 02-19-2004 03:06 PM

Sorry...can't help but chuckle.....

...any of you guys ever drive a carbed car?

Put those seconds into minutes, and you'd have it about right.....IF you can keep it running after it starts!:D

TechSmurf 02-19-2004 04:42 PM

Originally posted by Fairly Strange

Put those seconds into minutes, and you'd have it about right.....IF you can keep it running after it starts!:D

ehhh... I dunno about that.. there's times this '88 calibration kills me.. when the engine reaches about 20F, if you try to start her, she just won't fire. Ether's the only way I've gotten home some nights.. and even then, she was reluctant.

ShiftyCapone 02-19-2004 05:12 PM

Originally posted by Fairly Strange
Sorry...can't help but chuckle.....

Yes I have but any EFI car should start in a second after the pump has primed. If it doesn't something could be wrong or going bad.

chingon88cam 02-24-2004 11:43 AM

hey capone... changed it, went and bought a new one and still have the same prob... any other suggestions. My dad is a mechanic (for about 35yrs.) and he is tellin me is the module... there is a camaro place in san jose called "POOR SALVAGE" is all camaros every year made... and i'm considerin takin a trip up there and gettin a new module unless someone can help me figure out the problem. thanx for any suggestions...

PS: for all u carb guys DAMN... wouldn't wanna be ya', my prayers go out for y'all.

ShiftyCapone 02-24-2004 11:52 AM

Originally posted by chingon88cam
hey capone... changed it, went and bought a new one and still have the same prob... any other suggestions. My dad is a mechanic (for about 35yrs.) and he is tellin me is the module... there is a camaro place in san jose called "POOR SALVAGE" is all camaros every year made... and i'm considerin takin a trip up there and gettin a new module unless someone can help me figure out the problem. thanx for any suggestions...

PS: for all u carb guys DAMN... wouldn't wanna be ya', my prayers go out for y'all.

By changed it you mean the sending unit right? It could be a failing ignition module. I have never had one go out on me so I can't quite say thats what the problem is. My car currently behaves the same way. I am attributing it to a poor tune and a exhuast leak.

chingon88cam 02-24-2004 11:58 AM

yeah, the sending unit... i've already done all the little things that need to be done... but still the thing won't start, the best i've ever done was that fuel relay, started up quick even in the morning when it was freezin cold...i even called a local dealership to ask about the computer prom and they no longer make the prom for my car... so i'm a little stuck, but not given up yet, i just don't wanna spend more cash for another starter.

ShiftyCapone 02-24-2004 12:06 PM

Originally posted by chingon88cam
yeah, the sending unit... i've already done all the little things that need to be done... but still the thing won't start, the best i've ever done was that fuel relay, started up quick even in the morning when it was freezin cold...i even called a local dealership to ask about the computer prom and they no longer make the prom for my car... so i'm a little stuck, but not given up yet, i just don't wanna spend more cash for another starter.
It won't be the starter unless the car is not turning over. Do you let the pump prime for a few seconds before you crank it. By prime I mean turn the key to the on posistion and you can hear the pump kick on for a few seconds. This puts a bit of fuel right at the intake so that it does not crank dry right away. Also, have you chekced your ingition in general. What is the condition of your plugs, cap, coil, and rotor?

chingon88cam 02-24-2004 12:13 PM

like i said i've replaced everything... coil, cap, rotor, plugs, wires etc... the starter went out on me about 3 months ago, i'm assuming cuz i sit there crankin it for 5-10secs everytime i'm gonna start the car and i have a feelin is gonna go out on me again. i know the starter is not the problem nor has anything to do with the ignition in general... so i'm leanin towards the module or a fuel pump. but i'll try to prime the pump next time i go and start it... thanx again.
PS: now i got an primary exhaust leak, is gettin loud too... good thing is the drivers side, i guess i'll be spendin this weekend dealin wit this... oh well