Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   TBI (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/)
-   -   Question about this open element... ASAP Replies (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/476847-question-about-open-element.html)

RS-Chevy-SS 05-23-2008 11:47 AM

Question about this open element... ASAP Replies

Going to go buy the edlebrock open element from auto zone today... heres the question my stock air cleaner has the wire going from the coil to the dist touching it...Its not touching the coil just the wire is....Is this ok? Also when i throw this new element on will it be ok for it to do the same...Im kinda confused as too if the wires touch the thing will it short out...Thanks

RS-Chevy-SS 05-23-2008 12:24 PM

Re: Question about this open element... ASAP Replies

Originally Posted by Regulator (Post 3765505)
Going to go buy the edlebrock open element from auto zone today... heres the question my stock air cleaner has the wire going from the coil to the dist touching it...Its not touching the coil just the wire is....Is this ok? Also when i throw this new element on will it be ok for it to do the same...Im kinda confused as too if the wires touch the thing will it short out...Thanks

Update after looking at the same air cleaner on summit, it appears to be a drop base...Its the edlebrock 1221 will i have any issues as far as clearance on a 89 RS?
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

sinisterrs 05-23-2008 12:37 PM

i just put the same element on yesterday it clears you just have to take the spacer ring off from on top of the throttle body .....

RS-Chevy-SS 05-23-2008 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by sinisterrs (Post 3765556)
i just put the same element on yesterday it clears you just have to take the spacer ring off from on top of the throttle body .....

Ok cool so you bought the same one from autozone? What filter did you use? Are any of the wires touching?

MiScHiEf 05-24-2008 01:40 AM

Acutally with the drop based air cleaners, such as the "1221" the TB Spacer needs to stay on, with it off it conflicted with my throttle linkage, and more. it's the "non-drop" that you take it off.

I also used the Edelbrock 1221, i just had issues getting the wing nut to go on, the rod was too short.

Basically instead of finding a different air cleaner i just found a slightly smaller air filter.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Diameter (in):14.000 in.Height (in):2.813 in, worked perfectly, barely a difference from 3 inches, and clears.

I had some extra dough in my paypal so the $62 didn't hurt me.. flows so much air too, sounds amazing, might even add the "Xtreme Lid" from K&N so it flows some threw the top.

Just see if it clears the coil, and the linkage, if not buy that filter, it'll be worth it :)

Rockyd 05-24-2008 08:09 AM

i bought the same one from autozone you have to leave the gold ring spacerso it will clear i have no issues of anything touching my cleaner you. i use a k&n filter i just looked around for the round ones i thought would fit and tried them out i dont have the number sorry but you should be able to fine it it is a 3 in. filter i think by 14in. but it works good

RS-Chevy-SS 05-24-2008 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Rockyd (Post 3766359)
i bought the same one from autozone you have to leave the gold ring spacerso it will clear i have no issues of anything touching my cleaner you. i use a k&n filter i just looked around for the round ones i thought would fit and tried them out i dont have the number sorry but you should be able to fine it it is a 3 in. filter i think by 14in. but it works good

Yeah thanks...I installed it yesterday..I have to ghetto rig the stud to get it to work..I installed the K & N today...All in all I see a big improvement in topend power and acceleration...Feels like it pulls more throughout the revs, What did you use for a stud because im not sure how long this one will hold up....Also i used a plastic spacer instead of the gold ring. The gold ring wasnt big enough for the cleaner it had a little play room but the plastic one is a tight fit...

naf 05-24-2008 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Regulator (Post 3766908)
What did you use for a stud because im not sure how long this one will hold up....

I've used the stock air cleaner stud and knob. Just had to widen the hole in the new air cleaner lid for it to fit. Used a uni-bit but a larger drill bit would probably work. I also used a 2 1/2 inch filter element, can't remember if it made a diff with the stud height or not.

RS-Chevy-SS 05-25-2008 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by naf (Post 3766935)
I've used the stock air cleaner stud and knob. Just had to widen the hole in the new air cleaner lid for it to fit. Used a uni-bit but a larger drill bit would probably work. I also used a 2 1/2 inch filter element, can't remember if it made a diff with the stud height or not.

Yeah with the 3" filter i have right now its wayy to big for the stock stud to work...Its too short...Anyone sell a longer one or how can i get one?

BronYrAur 05-26-2008 01:42 AM

I've used a 3" filter, just back out the stud until it's last few threads, it screws out of the throttle body. If it won't back out enough, just bend it.

DM91RS 05-26-2008 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by BronYrAur (Post 3768285)
If it won't back out enough, just bend it.

You brute...:D

Also if you cannot get any of the above to work go to a hardware store [Home Depot, Lowes, etc] and get a piece of threaded rod of the same size and bend it as needed.

RS-Chevy-SS 05-26-2008 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by DM91RS (Post 3768360)
You brute...:D

Also if you cannot get any of the above to work go to a hardware store [Home Depot, Lowes, etc] and get a piece of threaded rod of the same size and bend it as needed.

But the question is how the hell do you bend it? Also does the backing it out untill its last threads thing really safe? Is it a tight fit still?

DM91RS 05-26-2008 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Regulator (Post 3768748)
But the question is how the hell do you bend it? Also does the backing it out untill its last threads thing really safe? Is it a tight fit still?

You a still need several threads to ensure that it does not pull out the threads in the unit itself when tightened.

As far as bending unless you have a vice you will have to be creative. A couple pair of vise grips has been my choice when confronted without a vise in emergency's. I have had one for so long at home and at work I forget what it's like without one......:nod:

RS-Chevy-SS 05-26-2008 04:11 PM

Here are some pics of my open element that i just installed along with a small video to let you hear the difference... Edlebrock base from autozone with a K &N 14X3 Air filter Click on the first one to watch the video

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...h_MOV00465.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0/DSC00462.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0/DSC00463.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0/DSC00464.jpg

RS305 05-27-2008 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Regulator (Post 3767644)
Yeah with the 3" filter i have right now its wayy to big for the stock stud to work...Its too short...Anyone sell a longer one or how can i get one?

i had the same problem and went to autozone and picked up a spectre adjustable stud kit. it comes with a bunch of adapters that should screw onto the stock stud and extend it a little.

RS-Chevy-SS 05-27-2008 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by RS305 (Post 3769563)
i had the same problem and went to autozone and picked up a spectre adjustable stud kit. it comes with a bunch of adapters that should screw onto the stock stud and extend it a little.

Yeah, I already had bought that and got it to work with a **** load of washers, but I took the advice on the other open element thread and just unscrewed my original stud out a lil and it fit just fine, it gives it a more sturdy feeling then the extender.

DWH 05-27-2008 01:22 PM

sorry if this sounds obvious, i'm new to working on my own cars. alright, so since you have that open breather, does that mean you don't need the air scoop thing that attaches to the filter anymore? cuz i'm thinkin about gettin an open breather. but your pic doesn't have an airscoop, and my car does. obvious answer? probably, but i would like to know none-the-less. if you need pics to clarify, i can easily do that

DM91RS 05-27-2008 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by DWH (Post 3769799)
sorry if this sounds obvious, i'm new to working on my own cars. alright, so since you have that open breather, does that mean you don't need the air scoop thing that attaches to the filter anymore? cuz i'm thinkin about gettin an open breather. but your pic doesn't have an airscoop, and my car does. obvious answer? probably, but i would like to know none-the-less. if you need pics to clarify, i can easily do that

The air scoop is to deliver cool air to the breather. Most people just remove it to remove clutter and make things purty....

DWH 05-27-2008 03:47 PM

ight, i think that's what im gunna do. it's a little rusty and looks like dooky anyways

MiScHiEf 05-27-2008 05:53 PM

Um what do you guys mean by "air scoop" i have the open-element and the breather just sits there like the one in the pic here, i thought about an open breather too.. maybe im just missing something lol

DWH 05-27-2008 06:34 PM

for ppl without open breathers yet, we have an airscoop and an airhose that connects to the filter

naf 05-28-2008 10:53 AM

If the stud is not coming through the top of the air cleaner far enough for the 'wing nut' (which looks crappy anyway), using the stock screw by widening the hole in the cover may give you the clearance needed. You'll notice the threads in the stock fitting extend below the lid onto the stud.

RS-Chevy-SS 05-28-2008 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by DWH (Post 3770185)
for ppl without open breathers yet, we have an airscoop and an airhose that connects to the filter

Okay DWH and Mischief you guys are talking about 2 different things. DW is talking about the snorkel that mounts to the body right behind the hood to feed cold air to the stock intake air cleaner assembly, Mischief is talking about the crankcase ventilator that comes out of the passenger side valve cover. Also if you leave the Ventilator just to the side like mine pictured I suggest you wire tire the filter to the plastice housing like I have it. I found that the little filter portion of it kept getting sucked out of the housing and lost. Had to buy a new one to replace the brand new one because of that. Just to clear that up.

NAF,

I got the stock stud to work by simply screwing it out of the Throttle body while still insuring it had enough threads in the TB to make it secure, it works like a champ now with out any extenders.

DWH 06-06-2008 11:16 AM

following up on my posts in this thread. i bought the edelbrock 1221 and i put it on. i'll post pics when i get the chance

RS-Chevy-SS 06-06-2008 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by DWH (Post 3781840)
following up on my posts in this thread. i bought the edelbrock 1221 and i put it on. i'll post pics when i get the chance

Cool. Were you as impressed with it as i was?