Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   TBI (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/)
-   -   single plane intake (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/653242-single-plane-intake.html)

camarorsssss 06-03-2012 11:48 AM

single plane intake

looking for some input. I am currently running a dual plane edelbrock intake on my tbi(mods in sig) but with the 113 heads there is no exhaust crossover which is causing some idle consistency issues at cooler temps. I read that the single plane intakes are better suited for these types of issues than the dual plane. I am looking for confirmation of this and possible issues I may be missing that single plane intakes have/cause.

Ronny 06-04-2012 03:18 PM

Re: single plane intake

idle consistency issues at warmer temps.
I have only heard issues at cooler temps. I too have no crossover and live in WI. Previously I had a single plane(XRam) and had issues during cool temps. especially under 40dF.

I believe the single plane offers better distribution to cylinders.

I run a Holley Projection dual plane currently.

camarorsssss 06-04-2012 03:49 PM

Thanx for the feedback, I wasnt really looking to change manifolds again unless it was absolutely needed. I'll stick with what I have for now and tune it as best I can, which I bet will slightly change with cold weather and hot weather.

thomas1976 06-04-2012 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by camarorsssss (Post 5291808)
...I am currently running a dual plane edelbrock intake on my tbi(mods in sig) but with the 113 heads there is no exhaust crossover which is causing some idle consistency issues at warmer temps...

Sounds like you are refering to EGR, in wich case, will probably have nothing to do with the "warm idle inconsistency".

one92rs 06-04-2012 05:11 PM

im not using the exhaust crossover on mine. got the egr tuned out and blocked off. egr is not working during idle. your inconsistant idle is being caused by something else.

thomas1976 06-04-2012 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by one92rs (Post 5293113)
im not using the exhaust crossover on mine. got the egr tuned out and blocked off. egr is not working during idle. your inconsistant idle is being caused by something else.

And even if the EGR valve was there and operating during an EGR event, nothing would happen. The valve would open, and thats it.

camarorsssss 06-04-2012 07:03 PM

No I am not referring to the Egr valve, nor is that the cause of my issue. My issue is that when cold there is no heat in the intake which causes irratic idle due to no exhaust crossover but once warm the idle settles down and becomes more consistent. It isnt a large problem it just means i have to let the car warm up for a few minutes before driving it. I can probably tune it out or atleast better.

Fast355 06-04-2012 07:41 PM

I don't know of a single V8 TBI intake that had an actual heat riser crossover passage under the TBI. The V8 intakes all had water heated passages. The EGR port was only connected to the passenger side head and feds the EGR valve only.

camarorsssss 06-04-2012 07:56 PM

Ah good to know. Switching over to a single plan would not be worth while and I'll have to work on tuning it in.

thomas1976 06-05-2012 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by camarorsssss (Post 5293249)
No I am not referring to the Egr valve...My issue is that when cold there is no heat in the intake which causes irratic idle due to no exhaust crossover but once warm the idle settles down and becomes more consistent...

It is the heated cooling water that warms up the intake manifold.

ex-x-fire 06-06-2012 12:31 PM

Most likely your car is running lean when its cold, you might want to make you regulator adjustable & bump it up a lbs or 2. You'll need a gauge to do that.
I've heard of guys putting a quater under the regulaor spring for alittle bump in fuel pressure.

camarorsssss 06-10-2012 09:07 PM

Rbob set me up with a good alternative to solve my issue. I am going to tap into my intake where the crossover is on the intake and run coolant to and from it to heat up the intake. He wrote a thread about it and did it on one of his vehicles to solve a similar issue.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tb...gle-plane.html

I am running a vrfpr with the ebl and it has been tuned pretty close to steady idle but still slightly fluctuates when cold because of poor fuel vaporization.

pumpkin 06-26-2012 06:00 PM

Throttle plate icing is what we have happen in my part of the world. The fix that I use is the stock thermostatic controled air cleaner with the tub down to the manifold, or in my case a tube on the headers.