Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   TBI (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/)
-   -   VATS or Fuel Pump???? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/689542-vats-fuel-pump.html)

wahoo 09-25-2013 11:03 AM

VATS or Fuel Pump????

I have a problem for several months with my camaro...
The engine won't start, and I no fuel is arriving in the TBI :confused:
The stock pump is dead but still in the fuel tank. The previous owner put a new pump outside the fuel tank.
I don't hear the fuel pump when I switch on the car...
For me the new pump is dead too.
But my car is a 92 RS and can you tell me if it can be a VATS problem?
I read the trouble codes, and only 12 flashes.
:thanks:

admathi 09-25-2013 01:23 PM

Re: VATS or Fuel Pump????

Originally Posted by wahoo (Post 5642304)
I have a problem for several months with my camaro...
The engine won't start, and I no fuel is arriving in the TBI :confused:
The stock pump is dead but still in the fuel tank. The previous owner put a new pump outside the fuel tank.
But my car is a 92 RS and can you tell me if it can be a VATS problem?
I read the trouble codes, and only 12 flashes.
:thanks:

If it was a VATS problem, your "security" light should come on and stay on (on your guage cluster). I would check your fuel pump relay and check the grounds for your fuel pump. Unfortunately, I don't know where that particular ground is on the TBI, but someone else might know on here. If your relay is good and the grounds are good, I'd replace to external pump.

If you want to bypass your VATS, there are several "VATS bypass" modules available on ebay for under $30; however, this doesn't sound like VATS to me. Here is a link, there are tons of vids on youtube about bypassing the VATS key.

It sounds like either the relay or the fuel pump need to be replaced. I had a similar problem on my 350 TPI, and it was the fuel pump relay. I also had a similar problem on my LS1 swap, I thought it was the VATS, but it was the fuel pump ground. Hope this helps.

Schurkey 09-27-2013 06:39 PM

The fuel pump relay is bypassed automatically by the oil pressure switch, if the engine is cranked long enough to build oil pressure. This assumes that the wiring harness including fuses is in good condition, and only the relay itself has failed. It also assumes that the fuel pump will operate if provided with power and ground.

Better to find out FOR SURE if you have fuel pressure by connecting a gauge in-line with the TBI. There is no service port for convenient access, so testing fuel pressure is unreasonably difficult due to GM cost-cutting.

vetteoz 09-27-2013 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by wahoo (Post 5642304)
I no fuel is arriving in the TBI :confused:

It is not advised to suck fuel through a in-tank pump that is not working , can burn out the upstream pump

wahoo 09-29-2013 08:04 AM

Thanks for all your replies.
The switch on, there's no noise from the new fuel pump.
When i try to start the engine, i can see the securite light flashing. And when I stop to crank the engine, the vats light comes to off. There's no error code stored in the ECM. So for me the vats is OK.

zenish 09-29-2013 09:24 AM

some of the aftermarket pumps came with a inferior internal hose. i had to pull my tank because the hose burst.

mcgarnicle 10-04-2013 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by wahoo (Post 5643896)
Thanks for all your replies.
The switch on, there's no noise from the new fuel pump.
When i try to start the engine, i can see the securite light flashing. And when I stop to crank the engine, the vats light comes to off. There's no error code stored in the ECM. So for me the vats is OK.

VATs will not affect the fuel pump. I second what vetteoz said, probably the new fuel pump was over-burdened sucking through the original pump and burned itself out. Get a test light or multi meter and check that you're getting power at the pump both with the key on and also while cranking. If no power go back to the fuse and relay.

wahoo 10-21-2013 04:40 PM

For information, after testing, the external fuel pump is dead. RIP
Now I have to replace it only to move the car to his new home...