Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   Car shuts off and won't start for a while (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/244365-car-shuts-off-wont.html)

Accused Normal 06-05-2004 10:01 AM

Car shuts off and won't start for a while

Okay, I have this messed up problem. My car will run great for about a mile, then shut off. I can start it again and drive like 5 feet before it shuts off again. That will happen maybe 5 time and then it won't start at all, but if I wait a few hours it will start with no problem. But the same thing will happen after I drive a mile. WTF? Anything can only help me here, I'm stumped.

Stekman 06-05-2004 10:39 AM

How's the ignition module? They have a nack for on and off behavior like that. Once they get a bit warm they tend to just 'fail' for a bit.

ede 06-05-2004 11:04 AM

yeah i agree have the module checked or just replaced. replaced would be better since it only seems to fail hot and you'd be testing it cold.

Accused Normal 06-05-2004 03:40 PM

The ignition module is the chip that's in the distributor, right?

Accused Normal 06-06-2004 09:32 AM

Okay, so I changed the module in the distributor, but the car won't start now. Maybe the new one is bad cause it should start with the car being cold.

Accused Normal 06-12-2004 10:05 PM

I changed the module in the distributor now with a brand new one. The car won't even start. It just cranks. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!

Accused Normal 06-12-2004 10:27 PM

You think it could be a bad coil?

Red Devil 06-12-2004 10:53 PM

First, take a deep breath and calm down.
Second, did you use the gresae when installing?
Third, have you pulled the codes?
Fourth, (did I mention take a deep breath) Check your fuel pressure after the stall?
Fifth, have you tested for spark?
Sixth, if it still does not work with the new one, put in the old one.
Seventh, pinch the fuel return line a little after a stall and try starting then.
Eighth, After the stall and you start it, will it stall if you place no load on the motor?
Ninth, come back and let us know.

Sadly, I didn't put them in order, but rather, typed as I thought. You get the idea though.

Accused Normal 06-13-2004 10:50 AM

Actually I didn't use the grease. What kinda grease is it and what's the difference if I didn't use it?

Trickster 06-13-2004 11:03 AM

It is a silicone grease and is used to cool the ignition module. Result of not using the grease is a overcooked module that won't work,

CaptPicardsZ28 06-13-2004 11:03 AM

Originally posted by Accused Normal
Actually I didn't use the grease. What kinda grease is it and what's the difference if I didn't use it?
Its a special grease that comes with the module. It deflects heat away from it. Without it, it will fry the module.