Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   Can't get a spark to fire the engine on a 89 camaro help please stumped.... (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/424610-cant-get-spark-fire.html)

redline86 05-23-2007 09:16 PM

Can't get a spark to fire the engine on a 89 camaro help please stumped....

I put a new coil in just today and tried to start it and i'm still getting no spark the wires are fairly new. . Its got a 350 in it any help would be greatly appreciated....
Thanks,
Tim

77monte 05-23-2007 10:54 PM

Re: Can't get a spark to fire the engine on a 89 camaro help please stumped....

First did you put the coil in to solve the no start problem? More information on the engine might be helpful. Is there Bat power to the distributor? if yes there isn't much past that point that it can be.. take the ignition module out and have it tested.. Rotor is in good condition with cap? no small cracks or trails in side the cap? Not much else i can say except this distributor was pulled out and put back in was it? Then maybe it could be not lining up correctly...

redline86 05-23-2007 11:35 PM

I only know that its a 350 according to the 8th number of the VIN and the carfax report says that as well. It is supposed to be bored over 30 as well but i'm not sure becuase we haven't taken the engine apart to know for sure or not. I just bought the car for 650 and it hasn't ran for like 2-5 months some time through there as far as i know. It has a brand new starter. haven't checked the ignition module yet didn't figure that would have anything to do with it getting spark or not becuase we did the old spark test of taking the first plug out and putting it on the engine to see if it sparks or not. And it didn't..When i turn it the egine turns but don't start... Maybe that will help you a little bit more.

redline86 05-23-2007 11:37 PM

oh almost forgot we replaced the distributor becuase they had it 180 degrees backwards and it messed up at the very bottom of it becuase of this.

iroczracer07 05-24-2007 06:53 PM

Pull a valve cover and see if the rockers are moving, which would indicate the cam is moving. The pull the capr off the distributor and see if the rotor is turning, which would indicate the cam and distributor are meshed properly. If all this is true, change the ignition module. Also make sure the wires going into the distributor are frayed or broken, and if you have an in cap coil make sure you didn't leave out the ground bar. I know that's not what it's called, but I can't think of the proper term at the moment.