Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   heavy gasoline smell (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/451129-heavy-gasoline-smell.html)

impaled 12-03-2007 02:25 PM

heavy gasoline smell

i have my new camaro parked in the garage and it has made the whole house smell like gas, so i aired the house out as well as the garage. i havent started it since yesterday, and it still smells like gas. i dont see any leaks, or anything. there is no fuel in the carb and yet the after taking the intake off the carb smells like really strong gasoline. this might be normal, but i dont really know. thanks in advance for any assistance.

onfire 12-03-2007 03:52 PM

Re: heavy gasoline smell

impaled,

Once my car did the same thing but not to that scope. I would be driving and could smell gas from inside the car. For me the issue was a worn out gas cap. I think the plastic just warped over time. This is typical with the plastic ones so check it out you never know.

With mine the symptoms where:
- When turning the cap, it gets hard early on to tighten it down and starts to click only after a full turn or so.
- Over time it gets slowly tougher to turn.
- You can't remember the last time you've changed it!!

Post your findings,

Rabi C.

impaled 12-03-2007 08:47 PM

thanks for the idea. unfortunately the gas cap is a new locking cap and it fits tight and i cannot smell gas from the cap area when the cap is closed.

any other ideas?

flrtin1 12-03-2007 08:52 PM

When I saw this post earlier today about a strong gas smell and the first response was from onfire........I took this as a bad sign :lol:

Toehead 12-03-2007 09:08 PM

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/13/14...1261576748.jpg

BG84FBIRD 12-03-2007 09:09 PM

Hey man!!
just
----------
just had a thought maybe not the gas cap but have u tried the filler neck tube (a.k.a. the rubbar hose?). srry bout the double comment hit the wrong button

onfire 12-04-2007 01:44 AM

flrtin1,

What are you sayin !! :waveman: You could always say hi man dont be shy :D
---------------

impaled,

Check your fuel lines going to your carb especially at the fuel filter.

Rabi C.

flrtin1 12-04-2007 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by onfire (Post 3554087)
flrtin1,

What are you sayin !! :waveman: You could always say hi man dont be shy :D
---------------

impaled,

Check your fuel lines going to your carb especially at the fuel filter.

Rabi C.

Lol nothing personal....just your screen name with a post about gas fumes http://www.fadzter.com/smilies/happydevil.gif

impaled 12-04-2007 11:55 AM

i have checked the filler tube that leads to the gas cap and it seems to be tight and i cannot smell gas anywhere near the gas cap/tank.

i will check on the fuel lines when i have some more time.

any other ideas are always welcome.

Freakazooid52 12-04-2007 12:10 PM

my car did that to, it always smelt like gas no matter what, brand new pump,lines, new carb, new everything.

I always wondered why I could only have 3/4 tank of gas, the first 1/4 i would go through in a hour, the rest took all week.

So while i was under it one day there was a small hole on the side of my tank letting gas out.

not saying its that, but the weirdest stuff can happen.

1fastam 12-04-2007 01:08 PM

sounds like the charcoal canister has gone bad or needs cleaning.raise hood ,bet the gas smell is coming from under there .make sure its plugged in,do a search,later jimmy

onfire 12-05-2007 01:25 PM

impaled,

Did you figure it out? Do post what you found I'm curious to see what happened.

Firtin1,

Haha yea fire and gas fumes don't mix!!!

Rabi C.

impaled 12-05-2007 08:00 PM

i know where it is coming from but not exactly where it is coming from.

i noticed a little bit of fuel accumulation on the front bottom part of my intake manifold. so it must be leaking from the carb or something, but this leak must be really small, but just enough to smell.

i will check connections and gaskets on the carb and hopefully fix it.

if anyone knows where a carb would commonly leak from, please dont hesitate to let me know.

i will do it when i have time, and this is exam week, so i dont have much time.

impaled 12-21-2007 12:29 PM

for future searchers, i think i have solved the problem. it was coming from the carb and i have since turned the fuel pressure down with a fuel pressure regulator and it doesnt leak any more.

radicule 12-29-2010 06:21 PM

Did the new gas cap fix the problem foe you?

torque_is_good 12-29-2010 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by radicule (Post 4772184)
Did the new gas cap fix the problem foe you?

he's probably not checking a 3 year old thread any more

anyway, he posted that a FPR resolved the issue