Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   I cant figuer this out (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/471884-i-cant-figuer-out.html)

jjlabinski 04-21-2008 04:57 PM

I cant figuer this out

Thanks guys,

The IAC is working and the car still wont start! Every single part is less than six months old????

The car ran, I adjusted timing and fuel pressure shut it off for the night and it has not started since?

It has fuel it has spark at the plugs

When you turn it over it sounds like it wants to hit for a second and then just cranks

WHAT AM I MISSING?

thx

Jeff

Nsomnia 04-21-2008 05:24 PM

Re: I cant figuer this out

You need spark (at the right time), fuel, and air.

Make sure the timing isnt off.

jjlabinski 04-22-2008 05:52 PM

How would the timing be that far out when the car was running last time I shut it down?

thx

jeff

Nsomnia 04-22-2008 05:56 PM

The car ran, I adjusted timing and fuel pressure shut it off for the night and it has not started since?
Thats why ;)

jjlabinski 04-22-2008 06:00 PM

I will try and put the timing back where it was which was about 25 degrees advanced. that is where the car would run and I knew it wasnt right so I backed it down to about 8 degrees. I am heading out to the shop to put the distributor back in the engine I removed it to inspect the gear.

I have a suspicion the cam timing is off

thank you

Jeff

Nsomnia 04-22-2008 06:08 PM

25 degrees initial doesnt sound right at all. It should be 8-12 degrees initial, usually 10, itll probly run from -5 up to 15 or more degrees.

Did you remove the cam? Unless your timing chain magically stretched overnight a massive amount it shouldntve moved.

jjlabinski 04-22-2008 07:21 PM

Dizzy is back in and nothing! When I checked the timing with the EST disconnected my timing at 1100 rpm was 21 degrees.

It is a new engine with about two hrs on it. something went south to cause this I am on my second ECM maybe it took a crap again...why

thx

jeff

cooter26 04-23-2008 02:53 PM

Ok, before you adjusted the timing it was 21deg at 1100 rpm. That would be fine depending on the weights and springs in your dizzy, at 1100rpm your mechanical advance is already kicking in. Your initial advance should be set at 500-800rpm depending on your transmision. As long as your not going over 40deg total with all your timing in or getting detonation. I would suggest pulling out the dizzy and starting over, bring the engine to tdc and set the dizzy in with the rotor pointed to #1 cylinder. Put cap and wires back on and try starting. If it backfires you are 180 out. I like to mark my wires and cap with witeout or paint marker to make removals easy. How are you checking the timing if its not running?

Stephen 04-23-2008 02:58 PM

Carb'd or FI? Your profile says 84, but o mention of what engine. If FI, did you disconnect the plug on the firewall?

jjlabinski 04-23-2008 05:49 PM

Yeah,TPI engine. yes the EST was disconnected.

Looks like I gota pull the engine. . . .ugh

jeff