Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   terrible vibrations (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/503427-terrible-vibrations.html)

perpetualjoshie 12-08-2008 06:07 PM

terrible vibrations

ok, yesterday after sitting in a parking lot i turned on my car and it started running very rough. it feels like it wants to bog of the line, theres a loss of power, feels like its miss firing, lower idle speed, and a very bad kinda lumpy jerk when i step on the gas even just a little bit. im thinking it migh be a bad o2 sensor or a clogged fuel filter. the car is a 86 z28 with a 305 tpi. any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Josh

rough 12-08-2008 06:19 PM

Re: terrible vibrations

o2 sensnor should pop the check engine light. Fuel filter can do wonders.

perpetualjoshie 12-13-2008 02:59 PM

could it possibly be a bad distributer?

rough 12-13-2008 08:50 PM

that, bad plugs, wires.

Ozz1967 12-14-2008 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by perpetualjoshie (Post 3971809)
ok, yesterday after sitting in a parking lot i turned on my car and it started running very rough. it feels like it wants to bog of the line, theres a loss of power, feels like its miss firing, lower idle speed, and a very bad kinda lumpy jerk when i step on the gas even just a little bit. im thinking it migh be a bad o2 sensor or a clogged fuel filter. the car is a 86 z28 with a 305 tpi. any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Josh

Check your vacuum to see if the gauge is bouncing all over the place. If it is, then rev the car to see if your car seems to smooth out at higher RPM's. If it does, pull your valve covers and look at your valve springs. Heck, it's fairly easy just to pull your valve covers and look. Might be the easiest and cheapest thing to check first anyway.

A broken valve spring will exhibit the same symptoms. My engine broke a valve spring a few weeks ago and exhibited every symptom you just mentioned.

rough 12-14-2008 03:04 PM

Oz, did it tick alot ? even warm?

Ozz1967 12-14-2008 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by rough (Post 3977175)
Oz, did it tick alot ? even warm?

I wouldn't say that it was loud, but yes, it did tick. Noticeable at idle, not so much at speed.

gregsz-28 12-14-2008 11:18 PM

to me that just sounds a lot like a bad vacuum leak. does your cruise control work? Breaks feel normal? Check your PCV?

Ozz1967 12-15-2008 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by gregsz-28 (Post 3977623)
to me that just sounds a lot like a bad vacuum leak. does your cruise control work? Breaks feel normal? Check your PCV?

The reason I wanted him to check his vacuum was because if a valve spring is broke, it'll throw off the valve timing in whatever piston it's affecting causing a massive vacuum issues. In mine, the gauge, even at higher RPM, never steadied out...it was always all over the place continually bouncing.

perpetualjoshie 12-25-2008 08:58 PM

sorry if this is a noob question but, how would i go aabout checking my vacuum? also there is quite a noticalbe tick at idle.

Ozz1967 12-25-2008 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by perpetualjoshie (Post 3986876)
sorry if this is a noob question but, how would i go aabout checking my vacuum? also there is quite a noticalbe tick at idle.

the tick could be your exhaust manifold leaking. Loosen and retighten all of those bolts.

TO check your vacuum you need a vacuum gauge. Then pull one of your vacuume lines from your carb/TBI/TPI, connect the gauge to the hose you pulled off, plug the other side and read what the vacuum number is. If it's bouncing everywhere, you've got a leak. If it's really low, you've probably got a leak. then rev the engine, if it's still bouncing everywhere, my guess would be that you have a valve problem.

perpetualjoshie 01-02-2009 07:36 PM

checked the vacuum to and its holding steady at 15 hg. ill try changing the fuel filter tomarro and see if that makes a difference.

1989IROC-Z5.7L 01-02-2009 08:23 PM

Might check for inside of the Dist. cap being wet.

perpetualjoshie 01-02-2009 08:43 PM

ok ill check for that. what would it mean if it were to be wet?

1989IROC-Z5.7L 01-02-2009 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by perpetualjoshie (Post 3994443)
ok ill check for that. what would it mean if it were to be wet?

Moisture (water) had gotten into the cap. That would cause it to misfire and run bad, possible make noise. Have you washed the engine or been driving in the rain?

perpetualjoshie 01-02-2009 09:13 PM

i have driven in the rain but not very recently, i suppose melted snow could have cause the moisture.

1989IROC-Z5.7L 01-02-2009 09:22 PM

Yes, just pull the cap off and check for moisture.

perpetualjoshie 01-03-2009 07:27 PM

fuel filter = problem solved.
couldnt have done it without tgo, thank you