Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   quick radiator / coolant refill question (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/539690-quick-radiator-coolant-refill.html)

02v8ta 08-26-2009 11:40 AM

quick radiator / coolant refill question

did i do this right? and now what?

heater core went, drained the radiator & bypassed the heater core.
filled the coolant back up. it only took about 8 quarts instead of the 14quarts the manual says but i guess this is from A it being raised in the front when i drained the radiator and B there’s no longer a heater core?

i waited for it to warm up, the coolant level dropped and i topped it off, put the cap back on and now it’s sitting. Do i wait for it to cool and check the level again, it should be at the top right?
Also i miss placed.. the coolant reservoir cap... is this important or can i put duct tape over it. lol

transam85dudeman 08-26-2009 11:52 AM

Re: quick radiator / coolant refill question

If duct tape isnt working, youre not using enough of it. ha. But need a 16lbs rated vented Radiator Cap. You should have a overflow Rez. Its best to premix the coolant and distilled water b4 adding also. I usually fill to top. start car, wait until the top radiator hose gets hot, while continually topping off for like 8 minutes, if it starts overflowing-then cap it youre done. fill the rez half way, done. to check wait until it cools, then repeat the process. check weekly.:blah::eek:

02v8ta 08-26-2009 12:36 PM

:gocrazy: damn it, question about bypassing now. do i have to have the two hoses that go in the heater core connected to bypass it or can i just plug them? the bypass i did connecting the two failed and it leaking now :mad:

transam85dudeman 08-29-2009 11:37 AM

na you cant plug them. theres a barbd connector you can get at Home depot that is a male to male. with some clamps you should be ok. I was going to use it on my throttle body bypass.

gregsz-28 08-29-2009 12:37 PM

Actually you can plug them.

transam85dudeman 08-29-2009 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by gregsz-28 (Post 4267286)
Actually you can plug them.

im cool and all, and am not bashing on your text. but if you plug them then the pressure would be too servere. i believe its better to bypass, he already has coolant going through his tb. yes you can plug them you win.

gregsz-28 08-29-2009 12:53 PM

What pressure too severe? Instead of going through heater hoses it just goes through the cooling system.

02v8ta 08-30-2009 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by transam85dudeman (Post 4267225)
na you cant plug them. theres a barbd connector you can get at Home depot that is a male to male. with some clamps you should be ok. I was going to use it on my throttle body bypass.

can you possibly give me a link to what you're talking about on home depot, i tried looking but no success. it seems easier to just bypass it but even that is turning into a bigger project than i thought.

gregsz-28 08-30-2009 01:21 PM

To bypass: take the hose coming out of the intake off, and put the opposite end of the hose coming from the water pump on to the fitting on the intake. Make sure you don't forget to tinghten the hose clamp down.