Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   zz4 build info (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/542868-zz4-build-info.html)

Bobbyz 09-21-2009 08:08 AM

zz4 build info

hey all starting to make a list for my spring time build and need some input,

i currently have a zz4 350 and would like to change the intake,cam and heads and this is what i was looking at

afr 195 heads (65-75cc??)

victor jr intake

1.6 rr's

my biggest problem is choosing a cam. i am totally lost any info? i was looking into comp cams or isky. i would like it to have a nice chop to it

thanks

Shadow Z 09-21-2009 08:22 AM

Re: zz4 build info

I know it's not what you want to hear, but your best bet is to stay away from the cams that will give you the "chop" to the idle, just because you like the sound.

I can 100% guarantee you, if your car will be used as a frequent, or daily driver, you will hate it.

High duration or better known as "choppy" cams give engines the worst throttle response I have ever seen in my life. Again, if this car is used as a frequent driver, you will definitely be a lot happier with a low duration cam, something along the lines of a 230/230. You'll have very good amounts of low end torque, and an incredible powerband, depending on your pistons, you'll have usable power from 1,000 to 6,500+ RPM. Plus some of the snappiest throttle response around.

The previous owner of my Iroc put in one of them ridiculous choppy cams, just another money pit for me when I get the engine rebuilt..

But anyway, to get back on topic! I don't know much about AFR heads, but if it's a 75-76cc chamber aluminum head, chances are it'll perform great. Plus, almost all of Edelbrock's intakes are awesome, can't go wrong with the Victor JR. Flow like there's no tomorrow without emptying your wallet. :)

F-Body Demon 09-21-2009 09:23 AM

Call comp cams, they will grind you a custom camshaft for the same price as just ordering one from summit. Not to mention they should know much more about picking the perfect cam for you than most of us.

five7kid 09-21-2009 01:21 PM

Nobody can possibly make a cam recommendation unless they know what you're going to do with the engine/vehicle. Pure race? Daily driver? Street/strip? Transmission? Gears? Tires?

Bobbyz 09-23-2009 10:34 AM

gonna be street/strip, th400,3:73's not sure on tires right now. was looking at comp xr294hr

Atilla the Fun 09-23-2009 10:56 AM

Even with a serious cam, it's still just a 350, so go with the AFR 180cc heads. The stock bottom end of that engine won't take many trips past about 6000 rpm, so choose your cam accordingly. If you want more, then spend your money on forged pistons, ARP rod bolts, and a good re-balancing.