Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   LTI and World Products Sportsman II (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/587313-lti-world-products-sportsman.html)

Mungo 09-12-2010 04:35 PM

LTI and World Products Sportsman II

I have a 1989 IROC Drag car that has a 1989 350 Vette Motor. How can I tell if it is an LT1. I have a chance to pick up two World Products Sportsman II heads for a song, but Summit's Website said they will not work on the LT1. My block has an OEM roller Cam Shaft. What I need to know is whether the Heads will fit my block. This is not a computer controlled vehicle. Drag Race only. Running an Edlebrock 750 Carb with Mallory Ignition.

lowridetractor 09-12-2010 05:33 PM

Re: LTI and World Products Sportsman II

we will need your numbers on the back of your block. on the drivers side. other than that i think, don't yell at me if i am wrong but lt1's have a cam driven water pump?

Mungo 09-12-2010 06:37 PM

I will have to go to the shop and get the numbers. I have an electric water pump. I just don't want to have any surprizes if I get these heads. The car is far from stock. I guess what I need to know, other than the roller cam, is there a difference in the block from a block prior to 1986?

Air_Adam 09-13-2010 02:11 AM

Look for the thermostat housing. If its on the intake manifold, its a regular small block. If its on the waterpump, its an LT1.

Atilla the Fun 09-13-2010 08:47 AM

Get the heads, but don't think of using them. Instead, re-sell them at a profit. They are bar none the worst 200 cc SBC heads on the planet.

Air_Adam 09-13-2010 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Atilla the Fun (Post 4671622)
Get the heads, but don't think of using them. Instead, re-sell them at a profit. They are bar none the worst 200 cc SBC heads on the planet.

They aren't that bad. They are just a dated design, thats all. They are good heads, I liked the set I had. For what they cost, especially for a good used set, they are a very good head.

Atilla the Fun 09-13-2010 02:25 PM

Yes, they really are that bad, and worse. Ever checked the short turns? Heck, go look at COMP cams dyno results. Flat or roller. The torque loss when switching from even lame S/R Torquers is dramatic.
Nothing you can build with these heads can even equal the same combo with ANY other 180 cc head.
These heads are for people who are uninformed, or fools, or both. Wise enthusiasts will keep these off their engines.

Mungo 09-13-2010 07:46 PM

Thank you everyone for your input. I have the block number 14093638. Also the thermostat is in the intake. Regardless of whether you may like or dislike these heads, they have to be better than the stock GM heads I have already. I am going to purchase the two for the $100.00

Air_Adam 09-13-2010 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Atilla the Fun (Post 4671939)
Yes, they really are that bad, and worse. Ever checked the short turns? Heck, go look at COMP cams dyno results. Flat or roller. The torque loss when switching from even lame S/R Torquers is dramatic.
Nothing you can build with these heads can even equal the same combo with ANY other 180 cc head.
These heads are for people who are uninformed, or fools, or both. Wise enthusiasts will keep these off their engines.

Mine were ported before I got them, so I guess I can't really say what a stock set is like. How much they were ported, I can't say. I liked mine though.

lowridetractor 09-13-2010 10:24 PM

you don't have a lt1
this site will tell you what you have.
http://www.chevy-camaro.com/chevy-ca...es.asp?group=1