Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   low rpm stalling (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/602566-low-rpm-stalling.html)

Gibson 02-06-2011 03:53 AM

low rpm stalling

So I cleaned my EGR and replaced my IAC in an effort to fix my stalling problem when stop. It agrivated it and now below 1500rpm, she loves to stall out. Should I remove my EGR and see if that fixes it? My old IAC is pooched, the spring is bad. I cleaned my t-body as well. What do gods of third gen?

hdis2002 02-06-2011 07:43 AM

Re: low rpm stalling

This is going to sound strange but it could be your torque converter. If you have a lockup TC on your car it should unlock when you slow down. If it doesn't, your car will stall when you come to a stop. Yeah, I know it sounds weird but I experienced it first hand. It took an 60+ year old third gen fan to figure it out. Replaced the TC and the problem went away. To clarify, this only occurs if you are slowing down from cruising speed. It really depends on your TC. If your car stalls when you start it or when leaving the driveway, this isn't the problem.

Steve

Gibson 02-06-2011 01:28 PM

its not the TC as it stalls in any gear, park, nuetral, drive, and gear at all. maybe my IAC passage is blocked up? or my EGR **** hte bed? im thinkin its a fuel or air problem cause to start it i need the t-body all the way open.

Gibson 02-06-2011 03:34 PM

after reading like 15 threads on this problem, i think i have it narrowed down to CTS and fuel filter. considering i have to give it gas to keep it running and have to pump the gas while starting to get it to start, im leanin twards a dieing CTS

Gibson 02-07-2011 09:46 PM

i fixed the problem, idk how, but i did. then i wrecked my car. i need a rear axle for it ASAP!

adilson delima 02-12-2011 03:11 PM

what 's a CTS? i am tring to figure it out wha's going on with my 90 RS.
when i'm driving it's fine , but when i step on the brake at a light or a stop sign, the rpm goes up and down ,and if i don't give some gas, it would just stalls, is that what was hapening to yours?

Gibson 02-12-2011 03:55 PM

yeah, i cleaned all my senesors and remeved my egr

adilson delima 02-12-2011 04:49 PM

i'm sorry, i have no knowledge of EGR stands for, can u explain, maybe i'll do the same on my!

Gibson 02-12-2011 05:25 PM

Exhaust gas recuculation

theNMBR27 02-12-2011 06:39 PM

stalling when you're stopped could from a bad VSS (vehicle speed sensor) this tells the car when it's moving and can mess up idle speed.

irocket87 03-05-2011 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by hdis2002 (Post 4813465)
This is going to sound strange but it could be your torque converter. If you have a lockup TC on your car it should unlock when you slow down. If it doesn't, your car will stall when you come to a stop. Yeah, I know it sounds weird but I experienced it first hand. It took an 60+ year old third gen fan to figure it out. Replaced the TC and the problem went away. To clarify, this only occurs if you are slowing down from cruising speed. It really depends on your TC. If your car stalls when you start it or when leaving the driveway, this isn't the problem.

Steve

i have the exact same problem right now, although my car seems to have a bit of a low idle, only when im slowing down to stop or have to stop quickly my car will stall out and die, i can throw it in nuetral or park and it will start right back up no problem, so i wonder if the torque convertor isnt unlocking? its the stock coverter. Ive also been told it can be the iac or possibly fuel filter?