Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   OPOC Engine opinions? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/649571-opoc-engine-opinions.html)

brodysZ28 04-26-2012 08:19 AM

OPOC Engine opinions?

http://ecomotors.com/technology

At first I heard about this and was skeptical, as usual. It seemed they were just moving pistons and rods around which basically resulted in the same thing. However, looking into it further, it could be a legit thing. One thing I noticed with the opposed pistons is that you are getting about double the power with the same stroke crank. At the same time, though, the displacement is double. I'm not sure what that will result in for fuel, compression, power, etc.

What do you guys think?

sofakingdom 04-26-2012 08:41 AM

Re: OPOC Engine opinions?

Seems pretty ordinary to me; go look at a Subaru or Porsche motor.

Think of it as a "180° V-whatever" motor.

Not sure how displacement is "double"... displacement is the volume that's swept by the pitsons: nothing more, nothing less. Where they are located with respect to each other, is irrelevant.

Looks like a bunch of perpetual-motion-machine type monkey-spank to those of us who have been in more than one rodeo already. The "greenwashing" doesn't change the basic facts of physics. Especially the "electric supercharger" part. BIG red flag right there.... the whole notion that you can take mechanical power, turn it into electricity, then turn that back into mechanical, and now it's somehow "more efficient" than a direct mechanical hookup (e.g. a belt) with no lossy energy-form conversion intermediary, defies reality.

Designed to lighten the wallets of investors, and pay off impatient wised-up existing ones with the proceeds from gulllible new ones. Aka "Ponzi scheme". Dressing it up as "eco" is just the latest version of the scam.

brodysZ28 04-26-2012 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom (Post 5255113)
Seems pretty ordinary to me; go look at a Subaru or Porsche motor.

Think of it as a "180° V-whatever" motor.

Not sure how displacement is "double"... displacement is the volume that's swept by the pitsons: nothing more, nothing less. Where they are located with respect to each other, is irrelevant.

Looks like a bunch of perpetual-motion-machine type monkey-spank to those of us who have been in more than one rodeo already. Designed to lighten the wallets of investors.

Well if you have two pistons per cylinder on the same crank, the displacement for that cylinder would be doubled, correct? I think the biggest benefit seems to be size... until it is dyno proven I am not sure about their power claims.

sofakingdom 04-26-2012 08:52 PM

Sure... give em your money and come back and tell us how it felt.

brodysZ28 04-26-2012 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom (Post 5255863)
Sure... give em your money and come back and tell us how it felt.

They can use DARPA's money. I hope they release some results once they test.

sofakingdom 04-27-2012 06:15 AM

No; DARPA's money is MY money. That's TAX dollars. Something politicians, and the general electorate, seems to FORGET whenever it's convenient... Da gummint doesn't have ANYTHING that it didn't TAKE AWAY FROM TAXPAYERS first. And that money is SACRED: I earned it, but I can't use it to buy food for my babies, or a nursing home room to retire in, or ANYTHING ELSE. It had BETTER not be spent on a bunch of perpetual motion machines.

No testing required on those, at anyone's expense, anyway; the results are easily enough predictable.

brodysZ28 04-27-2012 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom (Post 5256229)
No; DARPA's money is MY money. That's TAX dollars. Something politicians, and the general electorate, seems to FORGET whenever it's convenient... Da gummint doesn't have ANYTHING that it didn't TAKE AWAY FROM TAXPAYERS first. And that money is SACRED: I earned it, but I can't use it to buy food for my babies, or a nursing home room to retire in, or ANYTHING ELSE. It had BETTER not be spent on a bunch of perpetual motion machines.

No testing required on those, at anyone's expense, anyway; the results are easily enough predictable.

Yea I hear ya, I try not to think about those things. I thought the same thing about the "electric turbocharger" idea...