Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

OPOC Engine opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 08:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1983 Camaro Z28
Engine: 383
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: Strange S60
OPOC Engine opinions?

http://ecomotors.com/technology

At first I heard about this and was skeptical, as usual. It seemed they were just moving pistons and rods around which basically resulted in the same thing. However, looking into it further, it could be a legit thing. One thing I noticed with the opposed pistons is that you are getting about double the power with the same stroke crank. At the same time, though, the displacement is double. I'm not sure what that will result in for fuel, compression, power, etc.

What do you guys think?
Old 04-26-2012, 08:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: OPOC Engine opinions?

Seems pretty ordinary to me; go look at a Subaru or Porsche motor.

Think of it as a "180° V-whatever" motor.

Not sure how displacement is "double"... displacement is the volume that's swept by the pitsons: nothing more, nothing less. Where they are located with respect to each other, is irrelevant.

Looks like a bunch of perpetual-motion-machine type monkey-spank to those of us who have been in more than one rodeo already. The "greenwashing" doesn't change the basic facts of physics. Especially the "electric supercharger" part. BIG red flag right there.... the whole notion that you can take mechanical power, turn it into electricity, then turn that back into mechanical, and now it's somehow "more efficient" than a direct mechanical hookup (e.g. a belt) with no lossy energy-form conversion intermediary, defies reality.

Designed to lighten the wallets of investors, and pay off impatient wised-up existing ones with the proceeds from gulllible new ones. Aka "Ponzi scheme". Dressing it up as "eco" is just the latest version of the scam.

Last edited by sofakingdom; 04-26-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Seems pretty ordinary to me; go look at a Subaru or Porsche motor.

Think of it as a "180° V-whatever" motor.

Not sure how displacement is "double"... displacement is the volume that's swept by the pitsons: nothing more, nothing less. Where they are located with respect to each other, is irrelevant.

Looks like a bunch of perpetual-motion-machine type monkey-spank to those of us who have been in more than one rodeo already. Designed to lighten the wallets of investors.
Well if you have two pistons per cylinder on the same crank, the displacement for that cylinder would be doubled, correct? I think the biggest benefit seems to be size... until it is dyno proven I am not sure about their power claims.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:52 PM
Supreme Member

Sure... give em your money and come back and tell us how it felt.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:19 PM

Sure... give em your money and come back and tell us how it felt.
They can use DARPA's money. I hope they release some results once they test.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:15 AM
Supreme Member

No; DARPA's money is MY money. That's TAX dollars. Something politicians, and the general electorate, seems to FORGET whenever it's convenient... Da gummint doesn't have ANYTHING that it didn't TAKE AWAY FROM TAXPAYERS first. And that money is SACRED: I earned it, but I can't use it to buy food for my babies, or a nursing home room to retire in, or ANYTHING ELSE. It had BETTER not be spent on a bunch of perpetual motion machines.

No testing required on those, at anyone's expense, anyway; the results are easily enough predictable.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:53 AM

No; DARPA's money is MY money. That's TAX dollars. Something politicians, and the general electorate, seems to FORGET whenever it's convenient... Da gummint doesn't have ANYTHING that it didn't TAKE AWAY FROM TAXPAYERS first. And that money is SACRED: I earned it, but I can't use it to buy food for my babies, or a nursing home room to retire in, or ANYTHING ELSE. It had BETTER not be spent on a bunch of perpetual motion machines.

No testing required on those, at anyone's expense, anyway; the results are easily enough predictable.
Yea I hear ya, I try not to think about those things. I thought the same thing about the "electric turbocharger" idea...