Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   using transmission fluid as power steering fluid (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/666890-using-transmission-fluid-power.html)

evilemokid94 11-13-2012 10:42 PM

using transmission fluid as power steering fluid

i pulled a PS pump off a 79 chevy truck to use on my car, while i was isntalling it my dad told me i could use transmission fluid in it instead of me having to go buy power steering fluid, iv seen and heard of others doing this, would this hurt anything? the pump had tranny fluid in it when i took it off the truck.

gt4373 11-13-2012 11:19 PM

Re: using transmission fluid as power steering fluid

No Way

z28_87Camaro 11-13-2012 11:27 PM

perfectly acceptable to use tranny fluid in our power steering pumps. I have for years. Not much difference between the two. Costs cheaper too.

sofakingdom 11-14-2012 06:32 AM

Yes it does "work". Not quite as well sometimes but it's "OK". Used to be what everybody did; might still be what some people do.

OTOH, there's only like $2 worth of fluid in the thing, even if you buy the "expensive" stuff... might as well use the right stuff to begin with.

I'd strongly recommend popping the pump out of the reservoir and changing out the BIG O-ring around it, so that your next post isn't about something like "I just got an old used PS pump and it leaks".

redneckjoe 11-14-2012 06:37 AM

i see no problems using tranny fluid.
ive been using it in my power steering pumps 25 years with no problems.

built91Z28 11-14-2012 06:38 AM

It'll work. I use it in my 04 grand am because it has a leak causing me to refill every week. I'm a tech at a Ford dealership so tranny fluid is free. Ford actually only uses Mercon V in their power steering. They don't have an actuall power steering fluid.

evilemokid94 11-14-2012 04:04 PM

I accidentally over filled my pump, how do I take some of the fluid out?

redneckjoe 11-14-2012 04:22 PM

in a pinch, you can stick a straw or small hose in there, then put your thumb over the other end and pull it out. just like you can do with a straw and some soda. just gonna take a few times.

Tuned Performance 11-14-2012 05:55 PM

go grab your moms turkey baster , it will destroy the bulb but will do the trick and there only a buck or so to replace.

John in RI 11-14-2012 09:26 PM

go grab your moms turkey baster
Where have I heard that before ?!?! :lol:

AFT is said to deal with the heat better than PS Fluid. It's widely recomended by many by truck, SUV, 4x4 owners.

If you don't have one already, think about adding a factory PS cooler to your system. They add capacity and really help cooling the PS fluid temps. The use of an in-line filter is also quick, cheap, worth-while modification. ( Don't believe me; try and and see for yourself ! )

:driving:

Tuned Performance 11-14-2012 10:15 PM

hey mom the turkey tastes like dextron this year :lmao:

paulo57509 11-14-2012 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by built91Z28 (Post 5424249)
It'll work. I use it in my 04 grand am because it has a leak causing me to refill every week. I'm a tech at a Ford dealership so tranny fluid is free. Ford actually only uses Mercon V in their power steering. They don't have an actuall power steering fluid.

Every noisy/whining PS system I hear coming down the road is on a Ford. Just saying.....

built91Z28 11-15-2012 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by paulo57509 (Post 5424774)
Every noisy/whining PS system I hear coming down the road is on a Ford. Just saying.....

Lol, they do have one style of pump on the older cars and trucks that won't shut up. We won't even usually sell customers a new one if their only complaint is noise just because we already know there is a good chance the new one will be just as noisy. Sometimes a bottle of friction modifier (posi addiditive) will quiet them down.

Maverick H1L 11-15-2012 05:53 PM

Did you remember to bleed the system before taking the "extra" fluid out of the pump? If not, jack up the front wheels and turn the steering lock to lock several times WITHOUT the engine running and check again.

BTW, you can also use brake fluid in the PS. But don't even think about using PS fluid in the brakes if you want the car to stop when you hit the pedal...

whoaru99 11-15-2012 06:17 PM

I just use the stuff called for. Like someone else mentioned it's not that much. If it leaks probably should just fix it.

Haven't had to add any for long time, but from memory I seem to recall the PS fluid being noticeably higher viscosity than ATF.

whoaru99 11-15-2012 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by built91Z28 (Post 5424249)
I'm a tech at a Ford dealership so tranny fluid is free.

Free? Really? Is that part of your official wage and benefit package?

jermdm 11-15-2012 10:43 PM

I'm also a mechanic at a ford dealership. I can get any ford fluid or shop supplies for free. Basically its what you have left over from working on customers cars. Could be a little or could be alot.

Spaceboy1980 11-16-2012 04:05 AM

Only drawback I have seen to using the transmission fluid is I have seen it foam up in the pump and caused it to whine and become jerky. The solution was to put an antifoaming agent in it.

built91Z28 11-16-2012 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by whoaru99 (Post 5425306)
Free? Really? Is that part of your official wage and benefit package?

Basically. Trans fluid and 5w-20 oil are both in 200 gallon containers. We just take it when we need it. Oil changes only cost me the price of a filter also.

fast400 03-02-2013 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by built91Z28 (Post 5425548)
Basically. Trans fluid and 5w-20 oil are both in 200 gallon containers. We just take it when we need it. Oil changes only cost me the price of a filter also.

Not to tit pick, but why would you use 5-20 in a warm climate like orlando???

Jersey89GTA 03-02-2013 09:42 AM

Lucas makes a PS fluid and also guaranteed to stop leaks.

I about to try it, steer box is leakin.

ASE doc 03-02-2013 11:39 AM

I understand that the key difference between PS fluid and ATF is anti-foaming agent. ATF is more apt to foam up. I have used the Lucas PS Fluid additive. It does quiet down a noisy pump and slows down leaks but don't add too much of it or you'll have very hard steering on a cold start up. The best thing you can do for your power steering or any fluid system on your vehicle is change out the fluid regularly. ATF, gear lube, PS fluid, brake fluid. It all gets contaminated over time and needs to be replaced on regular intervals. 2yrs, or 30K mi is about standard on most fluids. More often if you run it hard.

Chad85T/A 03-02-2013 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by fast400 (Post 5502556)
Not to tit pick, but why would you use 5-20 in a warm climate like orlando???

Most of the newer fords call for 5W20.

Damon 03-02-2013 12:48 PM

If you're road racing and working the PS hard, use the right stuff. If it's a typical street car, ATF works fine. It's the same base oil, just a slightly different additive package and different color. I don't think I've put actual PS fluid in any of my street drivers in 20 years.

dimented24x7 03-03-2013 01:15 AM

There are some viscosity differences between the two. Not enough to bother a GM pump, but if you've ever heard a ford PS pump that called for ATF have regular PS fluid put in it by mistake, youll get what I mean.