Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   liquid in air filter housing (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/671981-liquid-air-filter-housing.html)

the blue one 01-30-2013 10:14 PM

liquid in air filter housing

i believe i have a small amount of oil laying around my air filter. inside the housing theres a small puddle around the edges of what i think is oil. why is this happening, is it going to cause damage, and how can i fix it? i will post a picture shortly

Tuned Performance 01-30-2013 10:43 PM

Re: liquid in air filter housing

engine blowby

the blue one 01-31-2013 02:34 PM

it's the breather, i think it's just splashing oil up in there

the blue one 04-07-2013 01:23 PM

well. my air cleaner is still getting oil in there somehow. i dont know why it would be coming up the oil breather like that. im also not sure if it has somthing to do with my car smoking every time i start it up.

Tuned Performance 04-07-2013 01:27 PM

The minimum sounds like you need to do valve guide seals and a pcv valve.

ex-x-fire 04-07-2013 01:42 PM

Does the car have a lot of miles on it? Most likely has a bad ring seal.

the blue one 04-07-2013 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by ex-x-fire (Post 5532458)
Does the car have a lot of miles on it? Most likely has a bad ring seal.

it has around 107xxx, had about 5 years of sitting in sombodies driveway being started twice a month

ex-x-fire 04-07-2013 02:14 PM

Well first check the pcv hose, those tbi are known for carbon plugging the pcv & vacuum ports, if clogged, remove the whole tbi unit & use a drill to clean them out. Get a new base gasket.
Make sure the pcv valve rattles.
Have a leak down test done on the engine.
Really, if the vacuum hoses & pcv check out ok, driving the car around won't be too much of a problem. Just check you oil level every other fill up. Its probably down on power & might fail emissions test though.

Joe Tag 04-07-2013 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by ex-x-fire (Post 5532478)
Well first check the pcv hose, those tbi are known for carbon plugging the pcv & vacuum ports, if clogged, remove the whole tbi unit & use a drill to clean them out. Get a new base gasket.
Make sure the pcv valve rattles.
Have a leak down test done on the engine.
Really, if the vacuum hoses & pcv check out ok, driving the car around won't be too much of a problem. Just check you oil level every other fill up. Its probably down on power & might fail emissions test though.

LOL don't say "drill" MAYBE a drill bit twisted by hand. You never know how literally someone may take your advice.

the blue one 04-14-2013 12:40 PM

i know my vacume hoses are messed up, the connections fall apart somtimes....that would cause it?