Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   Fuse next to battery keeps blowing. (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/709971-fuse-next-battery-keeps.html)

Brianbajnuth 10-15-2014 04:58 PM

Fuse next to battery keeps blowing.

87 gta trans am
Tpi 350
There's a fuse next to the battery I think it's for the fuel pump?
When the engine get warmed up and I drive it the car will shut off and all the gauges will stop working like the power is cut off on the entire car. I look at the fuse and it blown. Does anyone know what this fuse does? Anyone have a schematic for that wire so I can trace it.

Brianbajnuth 10-15-2014 05:16 PM

Re: Fuse next to battery keeps blowing.

Does anyone have a pic of how there's is hooked up? Picks would help a lot!!
Thanks in advance

OrangeBird 10-15-2014 05:56 PM

duplicate message

OrangeBird 10-15-2014 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Brianbajnuth (Post 5830641)
Does anyone have a pic of how there's is hooked up? Picks would help a lot!!
Thanks in advance

:) I don't seem to be able to get a link to work , but , if you search wwwaustinthirdgen.org that site has all the wiring diagrams for our cars ...

Brianbajnuth 10-15-2014 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by OrangeBird (Post 5830670)
:) I don't seem to be able to get a link to work , but , if you search wwwaustinthirdgen.org that site has all the wiring diagrams for our cars ...

Thank so much for the quick reply.
Also when the car does shut off I hear a loud squeaking noise from one of the relays on the firewall on the driver side
Any idea what that can be. Should I replace the relays?

Veaceonee 10-15-2014 06:36 PM

That fuse is the Fuel pump / ECM battery fuse. If the relay is squeaking could be the reason the fuse is blowing. I would replace the relay and go from there.

Brianbajnuth 10-16-2014 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Veaceonee (Post 5830688)
That fuse is the Fuel pump / ECM battery fuse. If the relay is squeaking could be the reason the fuse is blowing. I would replace the relay and go from there.

Wouldn't a bad relay make the fuse blow right away or make the car not even start? Does autozone oar pepboys sell these relays?

rusty vango 10-16-2014 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Brianbajnuth (Post 5830911)
Wouldn't a bad relay make the fuse blow right away or make the car not even start? Does autozone oar pepboys sell these relays?

stay VERY far away fro both auto zone AND pep boys for your parts. go to NAPA or oreilleys. I have the GM part numbers for the relays ,should you want them. the fuse by the battery in a weather proof connecter is for the ECM main power . if it blows .you have a short somewhere.

ASE doc 10-16-2014 04:17 PM

That fuse provides constant battery power to the fuel pump relay, fuel pump oil pressure switch, MAF relay, MAF burnoff relay, and ECM. Veaceonee said that the relay making the squeaking noise is a likely culprit and he's right. I would at least start my checking there. If it's not the relay itself, it is the circuit that that relay controls. My suspicion, next to relay being at fault would be the fuel pump or the fuel pump oil pressure switch. With the age of the car, it could also be wiring that is touching ground somewhere. Check all of the wiring from the noisy relay for short to ground. NAPA has the relays.

The reason that the fuse doesn't blow immediately when you start the car is probably because the draw is just at the limit of the fuse's capacity. The high draw heats the fuse until it finally breaks.