Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   Does this sound like a carb tune problem or a trans problem? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/738438-does-sound-like-carb.html)

mdtoren 10-29-2016 03:15 PM

Does this sound like a carb tune problem or a trans problem?

So, been driving my 86 Iroc after finishing up my Carb swap and I am having the following issue and need some thoughts on where to start digging. Car is a 305, originally TPI swapped to carb and has edel performer manifold and holley street avenger 570cfm, Comp Cam 260h cam, 700R4 trans.

I am having a pretty decent stumble / miss fire just off idle during acceleration. Ive noticed it gets worse the longer I sit, a simple stop sign is less of an issue, a longer stop light creates more of a stumble. It appears that if I give it more gas it corrects the stumble and while cruising there is not a miss/stumble. Ive also noticed that at longer lights while idling Ill start to get a miss fire in the exhaust at idle. Car never dies and no stumble when rev'd in park/nuetral.

Im leaning towards carb tune issue because I never tuned the carb during the swap bc it ran, but, Ive been reading up on Torque converter issues causing spark knock, and I am leaking some trans fluid when the car sits for longer than overnight which went on long before I carb swapped.

MSgt Luttrell 10-30-2016 01:32 PM

Re: Does this sound like a carb tune problem or a trans problem?

It sounds like the carb is loading up at idle, in gear. Try doing an idle drop adjustment with a vacuum gauge and double checking the initial timing to make sure it's not too far retarded.

mdtoren 10-30-2016 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by MSgt Luttrell (Post 6088675)
It sounds like the carb is loading up at idle, in gear. Try doing an idle drop adjustment with a vacuum gauge and double checking the initial timing to make sure it's not too far retarded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPGLUsW5ZeE

I will try this, Thank you!!!!!

zed-028 10-30-2016 06:49 PM

i had a vacuum leak that pulled this crap on me a year or so ago.

MSgt Luttrell 10-30-2016 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by mdtoren (Post 6088678)
I will try this, Thank you!!!!!

If that all checks good, check to make sure you are not running too much fuel pressure to that carb.

1987L69 10-30-2016 07:16 PM

did you switch your distributor with a non computer controlled one? if not that could be your issue

mdtoren 10-30-2016 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by 1987L69 (Post 6088754)
did you switch your distributor with a non computer controlled one? if not that could be your issue

Yes, running a non computer distributor, I thought it might possibly be a spark issue, but have ruled that out.

mdtoren 10-30-2016 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by MSgt Luttrell (Post 6088752)
If that all checks good, check to make sure you are not running too much fuel pressure to that carb.

Right now I am running 6psi from the regulator to the carb, does that sound too high?

1987L69 10-30-2016 08:02 PM

no, that sounds perfect for carbs, is that at idle or WOT?

zed-028 10-30-2016 08:33 PM

checked the pcv valve lately?

recently had the stumble scenario at the lights, ordered a new one and pulled the old one to compare, completely screwed. might not be a bad test for $5

mdtoren 10-30-2016 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by 1987L69 (Post 6088766)
no, that sounds perfect for carbs, is that at idle or WOT?

Idle, havent checked WOT.

mdtoren 10-30-2016 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by zed-028 (Post 6088776)
checked the pcv valve lately?

recently had the stumble scenario at the lights, ordered a new one and pulled the old one to compare, completely screwed. might not be a bad test for $5

Im not currently running PCV, just running 2 breathers instead. Any chance a PCV set up would fix this? I was under the impression either set up would work, but the PCV was just "cleaner"

zed-028 10-30-2016 10:59 PM

nah probably not, the valves going out do all sorts of wierd stuff.

MSgt Luttrell 10-31-2016 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by mdtoren (Post 6088765)
Right now I am running 6psi from the regulator to the carb, does that sound too high?

4 to 6 psi should be fine.

RedLeader289 10-31-2016 01:58 PM

Check your ignition control module (ICM) inside the distributor cap. Whenever mine is going out (these cars eat them like candy) I get the symptoms you describe.