Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   what did you do to your thirdgen today? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/746165-what-did-you-do.html)

Evilokc 07-30-2017 07:59 PM

what did you do to your thirdgen today?

3 Attachment(s)
i continued to battle with my heater core installation. I lost the battle today but the war goes on. I just received a new to me front ground effect that has some cracks in it. I put some epoxy on them. I found a plug on my throttle body that was unplugged and have no idea what it is. it was a busy day.

NoEmissions84TA 07-30-2017 09:13 PM

Re: what did you do to your thirdgen today?

https://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/D...213641_pic.gif

Evilokc 07-30-2017 09:16 PM

really? iac. interesting. thank you

jharrison5 07-30-2017 11:29 PM

Worked on making patterns do I can recover the steering wheel and shifter boot.

Evilokc 07-31-2017 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by jharrison5 (Post 6157213)
Worked on making patterns do I can recover the steering wheel and shifter boot.

your going to do your own recover? that's awesome!

jharrison5 07-31-2017 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Evilokc (Post 6157295)
your going to do your own recover? that's awesome!

Well I'm going to try to do my own recover... starting off with vinyl and then figured if I can get it down I might start offering a service, but who knows. Was only going to do the shifter boot but my wheel is shot and I can't get anyone local to do it for a fair price.

Evilokc 07-31-2017 10:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ordered this new I.a.c plug. once it arrives I will solder it in place of the broken one I have now.

Drew 07-31-2017 11:16 PM

Use the proper tool to remove the wire & terminals from the plastic connector shell, and you don't need to cut the wires. The empty shells are available from many places, and they're dirt cheap. FWIW.

Evilokc 07-31-2017 11:25 PM

I will look into it. as it sits the plastic case is broken. the lock isn't there and the 4 plastic tubes are missing. there are just 4 bare wires sticking out.

Evilokc 08-02-2017 11:14 AM

last night after dinner I decided to take a quick drive around the block. I wasn't going to drive it until I got the heater core back in but I couldn't help burning the tires around a few corners. I like this car.

Evilokc 08-02-2017 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Drew (Post 6157537)
Use the proper tool to remove the wire & terminals from the plastic connector shell, and you don't need to cut the wires. The empty shells are available from many places, and they're dirt cheap. FWIW.

what is the proper tool and procedure? ive never done
it that way. ive always cut and soldered.

vinny R 08-02-2017 11:36 AM

Finished putting my wiper blade arms back on. Had the windshield replaced and had them leave the arms off to repaint and replace the hose.

NoEmissions84TA 08-02-2017 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Evilokc (Post 6157902)
what is the proper tool and procedure? ive never done
it that way. ive always cut and soldered.

LsxMatt 08-02-2017 04:49 PM

Water pump, valve cover gaskets, and knock sensors 😕
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...a2bcb7d214.jpg

wilmil 08-02-2017 04:58 PM

Replaced two sidemarker lights. Hope to figure out my wiper motor wiring this weekend.

LiveIt! 08-02-2017 11:43 PM

Took her for her maiden voyage! Besides a sticky throttle, vacuum leak and smoke from a coolant hose leak that decided to spring up she putted right along at a constant 30 MPH (because that's where the throttle was sticking! :p ) All of the above is getting sorted out starting first thing tomorrow :D

Evilokc 08-03-2017 05:44 AM

congrats liveit! nothing like the first drive. when you finally make something immobile mobile its like mechanical magic. doesn't sound like your too far away from having it squared away.

Ghettobird52 08-03-2017 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by NoEmissions84TA (Post 6157965)

wow... that is simple

NoEmissions84TA 08-03-2017 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by LiveIt! (Post 6158075)
Took her for her maiden voyage! Besides a sticky throttle, vacuum leak and smoke from a coolant hose leak that decided to spring up she putted right along at a constant 30 MPH (because that's where the throttle was sticking! :p ) All of the above is getting sorted out starting first thing tomorrow :D

I'm jealous. One of these years for mine. Hopefully sooner than later.
Did you get the adrenaline rush? I think it might be gone for me. We will see. I hope not.

jharrison5 08-03-2017 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by NoEmissions84TA (Post 6158273)
Did you get the adrenaline rush? I think it might be gone for me. We will see. I hope not.

I hear you on that. It's been four, going on five, years since mine last ran and I'm on the home stretch. If it doesn't start I'll probably cry lol!

TylerSteez 08-03-2017 07:43 PM

Replaced a bad e brake cable, replaced the fuel filter, and started doing the AN fittings for the adjustable fuel regulator but hit a brick wall since I cant cut the braided stainless line without a special cutting tool. I tried taping and using a cut off wheel but it causes the braids to flare out. Hopefully the one I ordered from Summit will be here tomorrow

Evilokc 08-03-2017 09:57 PM

braided line will look good man.

Evilokc 08-03-2017 10:06 PM

I guess I did know how to remove the terminals. I did that on a relay.

Jbuchanan 08-04-2017 07:48 AM

I got to work early and just kept staring at mine lol. I'm actually working on refinishing another set of front wheels to put on the rear so I have the same offset front and rear.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...5ed8156f83.jpg

Evilokc 08-05-2017 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jbuchanan (Post 6158363)
I got to work early and just kept staring at mine lol. I'm actually working on refinishing another set of front wheels to put on the rear so I have the same offset front and rear.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...5ed8156f83.jpg

are you just trying to make all the wheels stick out the same amount?

Jbuchanan 08-05-2017 03:04 PM

Not necessarily. GTA wheels have different offset front and rear. The wheels are actually stamped front or rear. If you look closely the front look deeper so I bought another set so I can run 4 of the same. Looks better to me and rotation won't be an issue.

instro84 08-05-2017 03:56 PM

blew a head gasket last week working on pulling heads.

Tibo 08-05-2017 05:33 PM

Making a new transmission crossmember, making a new exhaust system and then moving a driver's side primary tube slightly outward.

instro84 08-05-2017 07:05 PM

hey Tibo, where in the desert are you located i'm out near edwards fab in so cal.

Tibo 08-05-2017 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by instro84 (Post 6158755)
hey Tibo, where in the desert are you located i'm out near edwards fab in so cal.

Realistically there is no way I would move to California. I'm in the Northwest region of Arizona.

Evilokc 08-05-2017 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by instro84 (Post 6158717)
blew a head gasket last week working on pulling heads.

dude that sucks so bad. removing heads is a time consuming pain in the a$$. good luck. take it slow and be clean and thorough. you got this. post pics.

Evilokc 08-05-2017 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tibo (Post 6158731)
Making a new transmission crossmember, making a new exhaust system and then moving a driver's side primary tube slightly outward.

I like doing this type of project. playing with metal is fun. what size tubing are you using?

Evilokc 08-05-2017 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by mgg4591 (Post 6157967)
Water pump, valve cover gaskets, and knock sensors 😕
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...a2bcb7d214.jpg

that's going to be awesome dude. have you run into any issues yet? I hear the radiator is always a pain. is that a 5.3 or a 5.7? what intake are you going to use?

LiveIt! 08-06-2017 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by NoEmissions84TA (Post 6158273)

Haha I was grinning from ear to ear! It doesn't get better than ur first car on the road for the first time, unless you count today when she went out without throwing any SES lights or smoke :p

She had a bit of a temper tantrum waiting in the drive thru line yesterday so next order of business is fixing the hacked up fan relay. Best of luck to both u guys on getting ur cars going!! ;)

Tootie Pang 08-06-2017 01:34 AM

Timing chain. Got it mostly buttoned up tonight. Will fire it up tomorrow after an oil change. Fingers crossed!

Evilokc 08-06-2017 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tootie Pang (Post 6158847)
Timing chain. Got it mostly buttoned up tonight. Will fire it up tomorrow after an oil change. Fingers crossed!

that's a big job.

Tootie Pang 08-06-2017 07:56 PM

I thought it might be. Got the correct loaner tools. Took my time. Two afternoons , not too bad after all. It's one of those jobs that can go sideways if you hurry and try to go too fast.

Shakenblake 08-06-2017 08:28 PM

Dealing with all the gremlins of a free car given to me. Speedo/odometer, cruise don't work, waiting to get underneath to find the coolant sender wire that suppost to be hooked up for temp guage,fixed some vacuum issues.plugs, wires cap and rotor are done yay I stomped on it to get across the street and it did nothing lol. Had to back off the throttle to let it catch up. Oh the headache

Evilokc 08-07-2017 10:31 AM

finished the new heater core install. have all heat and a/c functions now. next are replacing a bad IAC plug on the tbi and fixing the non functioning hi-beam switch. both should be easy and satisfying. anything's gonna feel quick and easy after the heater core.

TylerSteez 08-07-2017 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Shakenblake (Post 6159045)
Dealing with all the gremlins of a free car given to me. Speedo/odometer, cruise don't work, waiting to get underneath to find the coolant sender wire that suppost to be hooked up for temp guage,fixed some vacuum issues.plugs, wires cap and rotor are done yay I stomped on it to get across the street and it did nothing lol. Had to back off the throttle to let it catch up. Oh the headache

that sender wire will be a green wire hanging out around the master cylinder area and should be plugged into the driver side head between the #1 and #3 cylinders, no need to go underneath

Shakenblake 08-07-2017 09:39 PM

Awesome thanks, I'll be on the look out for it tomorrow. I just figured it was bundled in with the wire attaching to the oxygen sensor.

TylerSteez 08-07-2017 09:42 PM

It is if I recall correctly but that wire is also ran right by the master cylinder

Evilokc 08-07-2017 10:51 PM

drove 40 miles to work today. it was the first real drive after installing the heater core. I parked and as I walked into work I looked back and saw a puddle under the car. my heart sank thinking the heater core or hoses were leaking. I walked back over to see it was just a/c condensation. ear to ear grin!

Evilokc 08-08-2017 07:07 PM

had to add a little coolant to mine today. I'm not sure whats going on. it runs cool but every two or three days of driving if I check the coolant its down several inches. I haven't seen any leaks but its consistently a few inches down. i cant imagine where the coolants going.when you look into your radiator where does the coolant level sit?

TylerSteez 08-08-2017 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Evilokc (Post 6159610)
had to add a little coolant to mine today. I'm not sure whats going on. it runs cool but every two or three days of driving if I check the coolant its down several inches. I haven't seen any leaks but its consistently a few inches down. i cant imagine where the coolants going.when you look into your radiator where does the coolant level sit?

the coolant should sit pretty much right under the cap. If there's no leaks then there's a possibility your head gasket failed and is allowing a coolant passage in the head to go into the cylinder. Watch your exhaust on start up and see if it's white and smells sweet

Evilokc 08-10-2017 07:01 PM

I haven't had any sign of a bad head gasket.

LiveIt! 08-10-2017 09:52 PM

took off the hood and fender for repair after that spill with that Honda :eek: got it pretty much squared away but have more work to do tomorrow :chevy:

Evilokc 08-11-2017 09:32 PM

I bought n oem front ground effect off of craigslist. I got a great deal but of course it didn't come with hardware. I asked the forum where I could find the correct size for the bolts. I got a few vague answers but I really wanted someone to just give me the answer. I decided I would take the car to the hardware store and run in and out with bolts until I fond the correct ones. I happened to be on my back under the car when I noticed to my great luck there were still a few bolts attached from where the old ground effect broke off. today I removed them and the remaining broken fragments of the old effect and went to the hardware store to purchase bolts. tomorrow I will install the ground effect with the bolts and double sided tape across the top just as they did in the factory.

LiveIt! 08-11-2017 10:51 PM

Reinstalled my repaired fender, beat a dent out of the hood and put 22 stitches in the front end. she'll get around and have some fun but so much for going to that car show in the morning :p

vinny R 08-12-2017 07:45 AM

Gonna tackle the pass side valve cover today, Did the drivers side the other night. worried a little about getting the new one on, That big thick wire loom that runs along the runners made just removing the old one a little tricky. :burnout: