Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   305 Block: sell, part, keep? What’s it really worth? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/755328-305-block-sell-part.html)

SteelDirigible 08-12-2018 02:33 PM

305 Block: sell, part, keep? What’s it really worth?

I have a 305 block from my 84 that was seized on two cylinders. I broke one loose. One piston is still stuck good.

What should I expect to get by selling the block, or if I part it out, what’s the bare block, crank, cam, rods worth? Is it worth me keeping for myself down the road, given the work it will take to rebuild and it still being the 305 anyway?

Drew 08-12-2018 03:27 PM

Re: 305 Block: sell, part, keep? What’s it really worth?

Nothing. It's trash. If you can get someone to take it without charging you money to haul it away, you're a damn criminal.

nhgator 08-12-2018 05:12 PM

I had one in good shape,the local Schnitzer yard bought it for $125 a ton along with some valuable old Polaris and Arctic Cat snowmobile parts.

sofakingdom 08-12-2018 07:53 PM

$125 a ton works out to around $15 for that block.

NOBODY is gonna come haul it off, even for free, for that little jack. You'll have to pay em to take it.

The crank & rods are worth even less than $125 a ton. Pistons are worth considerably more, but you've only got about 12 lbs or something of those. And to get that extra ¢¢¢, you'll have to totally disassemble them... can't have pins, rings, or anything else attached.

No it is not worth keeping to "rebuild" "someday". Unless maybe if you have a YUUUUUUJJJJJJE barn or something that you never go in and have no useful use for whatsoever and you can just fill it with trash that won't ever see the light of day.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, you have something with NEGATIVE value.

RBob 08-12-2018 08:27 PM

Find a local scrap yard and get 6-cents a pound for it. I've done this a few times, it really is all that it is worth.

Now if you can scrape up some copper, brass or aluminum, can get much more per pound.

RBob.

83 Crossfire TA 08-14-2018 06:15 AM

If it was in good shape I'd come and take it... assuming you were local, but a 305 with seized pistons... scrap. The only way that it's worth more is if you buy something to replace it that needs a core and the 305 qualifies

Orr89RocZ 08-14-2018 06:19 AM

Only way its any good is if you plan to refresh and add boost. Else its scrap and a yard will take it for gas money to get there

GeneralDisorder 08-14-2018 10:09 AM

If you knock the pistons out, minus the one that's stuck, there's 7 holes you can thread your anchor chain through!

GD

SteelDirigible 08-05-2019 02:26 PM

Just thought I'd update, a guy bought it from me for $20, along with some of the internals I'd pulled out. Said he uses the parts to build trophies of some sort for some sort of event. I was glad to have him come pick it up.

UltRoadWarrior9 08-05-2019 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by SteelDirigible (Post 6320431)
Just thought I'd update, a guy bought it from me for $20, along with some of the internals I'd pulled out. Said he uses the parts to build trophies of some sort for some sort of event. I was glad to have him come pick it up.

That's cool, sounds like it went to good use! So you had to hold onto it for a year? Curious where did you post to sell it?

SteelDirigible 08-05-2019 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by UltRoadWarrior9 (Post 6320445)
That's cool, sounds like it went to good use! So you had to hold onto it for a year? Curious where did you post to sell it?

No, it didn't actually take that long. I forgot how long exactly but it was a while back. Sold it on Facebook marketplace

RBob 08-06-2019 08:41 AM

That's a win!

I've seen pics of some of the items folks build from old engine parts. They are impressive.

RBob.

91z28ss 08-07-2019 02:07 PM

Damn, I guess I am crazy then!! Was keeping my OE engine removed in 1998 with low 43 000km's in it and decided to refresh it this spring going threw an overhaul gaskets, rings bearings, lifters, bolts, frost plugs, rebuilted heads with valve seals, timing chain oil pan because stock one was bent a bit from moving around the garage... paint etc to make it as a new engine again! And now no one is hitting the target since I listed it! I think I will keep it as an entertainement piece and make a basement living room table out of it!😕
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...b773ad4299.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...f1e612042c.jpg

mikeceli 08-07-2019 04:13 PM

"One man's trash is another man's treasure"!

BOOT77 08-09-2019 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by 91z28ss (Post 6320927)
Damn, I guess I am crazy then!! Was keeping my OE engine removed in 1998 with low 43 000km's in it and decided to refresh it this spring going threw an overhaul gaskets, rings bearings, lifters, bolts, frost plugs, rebuilted heads with valve seals, timing chain oil pan because stock one was bent a bit from moving around the garage... paint etc to make it as a new engine again! And now no one is hitting the target since I listed it! I think I will keep it as an entertainement piece and make a basement living room table out of it!😕

Prob cause too many paint up trash engines to rip people off. I'd only buy an engine I couldn't see running form a friend and prob still get ripped off LOL Bought a running 350 vortec 4x4 truck for the engine in my vlog and even that didn't work out but I'm the only one to blame cause I deiced to gamble on it being a bad gauge since I couldn't find anything else and was getting antsy.

BOOT77 08-09-2019 09:38 PM

Send him my way I got a whole pile of busted engines and parts I'm gonna haul of for scrap eventually LOL

91z28ss 08-10-2019 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by BOOT77 (Post 6322109)
Prob cause too many paint up trash engines to rip people off. I'd only buy an engine I couldn't see running form a friend and prob still get ripped off LOL Bought a running 350 vortec 4x4 truck for the engine in my vlog and even that didn't work out but I'm the only one to blame cause I deiced to gamble on it being a bad gauge since I couldn't find anything else and was getting antsy.

I know they may be some scammers along the road! But I do have more than 1200$ just in parts with all bills from Summit, On line stores Ebay, local parts stores etc etc with pictures of the rebuilt process of all loose parts, interior of the engine etc. if you buy a used/rebuilt engine from an individual or a shop you need to see this kind of rebuilding process!! Another fact is if you paint a used engine without disassembling the engine, all the gaskets, bolts, injectors would be painted too!

BOOT77 08-10-2019 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by 91z28ss (Post 6322197)
I know they may be some scammers along the road! But I do have more than 1200$ just in parts with all bills from Summit, On line stores Ebay, local parts stores etc etc with pictures of the rebuilt process of all loose parts, interior of the engine etc. if you buy a used/rebuilt engine from an individual or a shop you need to see this kind of rebuilding process!! Another fact is if you paint a used engine without disassembling the engine, all the gaskets, bolts, injectors would be painted too!

Not if your clever, could always remove bolts or use a bit of tape, picture could be from the 1st one you actually did for yourself and you've sold the past few just painted up the same. I am not saying your a scammer to be clear, just debating my point. I've basic rebuilt engines and it can nickle & dime you if your doing it right for yourself, building LOL $$$$$ I just bought a vortec 350 crate engine in my vlog for right about $1500 and it comes with unlimited miles or a 3yr warranty I think. Plus you can fake receipts if your clever for even machine shop work n you can't see inside an engine easily for most. It's just not appealing to buy a rebuilt??? engine form a stranger, was a guy who did it on c-list around here but he stopped and he was cheap, $900 for a basic longblock, more for performance extras. Still who knows if he was just doing hone jobs and re-rings like so many claim as a rebuild, I couldn't be a car salesmen like some I know cause if I do anything I do it right and I'd make no $, if I see a bad or looks badish hose/part I replace it. To make $ you gotta fire n forget, no new gaskets on an engine swap unless it has a known problem and so on. Sorry but your prob not gonna sell that engine, unless it's too prove me wrong LOL then someone will show up n buy it!

BOOT77 08-10-2019 01:11 PM

Plus most just want the basic longlbock and use their extras to save $ or fit their combo/build

1986BANDIT 08-11-2019 04:22 AM