Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   Valve Seals replacement California Emissions Test (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/761080-valve-seals-replacement-california.html)

Orochimaru 05-12-2019 12:33 AM

Valve Seals replacement California Emissions Test

Would having worn valve seals on a carbureted 305 v8 receive an automatic fail for california emissions test? I'm due for a test in July of this yr and just wanted to know.

mikeceli 05-12-2019 02:30 AM

Re: Valve Seals replacement California Emissions Test

iF THE SYMPTOMS OF THE WORN SEALS INCLUDE SMOKE AND higher emissions, yes.

Orochimaru 05-13-2019 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by mikeceli (Post 6301349)
iF THE SYMPTOMS OF THE WORN SEALS INCLUDE SMOKE AND higher emissions, yes.

Thanks mikeceli for the reply. Would worn seals have any negative effect on the air tubes on the engine?

mikeceli 05-13-2019 12:50 AM

I don't recall seeing worn valve seals damaging AIR tubing. Typical is oil fouled plug(s) and sometimes, blue smoke, on startup, after a brief warm shutdown.

Tootie Pang 05-13-2019 11:15 AM

You could try running a heavier oil for just the test. Might be enough to minimize the seal leakage for the test.

Also, throwing in a set of fresh plugs would help too.

FWIW, on my LB9 I have two oil rings that are less than 100% (one plug fouls in several months, the other very slightly, but does). My car passed with flying colors. I suppose it depends on how badly they are leaking. If you can drive the car without adding oil every week, it might pass. I would TOTALLY GUESS that if you aren't adding more than a quart every thousand miles or so, it might pass. Just a WILD guess.

Lastly, some shops offer a free, or $10 retest within a period of time after the fail.

Tremo 05-13-2019 05:28 PM

If there is visible smoke at idle or when you gun the engine, you will fail.

If you have high hydrocarbons, NOX or CO you will fail.

If you don't have everything under the hood hooked up you will fail the visual exam. They will look underneath for a cat as well. If your cat is really old, you may fail.

You may want to try running 20W50 oil for the test. Make sure your air filter is clean. Dump a can of Seafoam and a jug of Gumout Regaine total fuel system cleaner (the stuff with PEA) in the tank and run that through before you test. Make sure the plugs, wires, cap and rotor are in good shape. Make sure your tires are nice and firm for the treadmill test. Get some spray carb/choke cleaner and spray that down its throat before the test.

Make sure the engine and cat are fully up to temperature when you take it in.

If your SES light does not work, you will fail. If the SES light is illuminated constantly, you will fail.

Orochimaru 05-13-2019 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tootie Pang (Post 6301840)
You could try running a heavier oil for just the test. Might be enough to minimize the seal leakage for the test.

Also, throwing in a set of fresh plugs would help too.

FWIW, on my LB9 I have two oil rings that are less than 100% (one plug fouls in several months, the other very slightly, but does). My car passed with flying colors. I suppose it depends on how badly they are leaking. If you can drive the car without adding oil every week, it might pass. I would TOTALLY GUESS that if you aren't adding more than a quart every thousand miles or so, it might pass. Just a WILD guess.

Lastly, some shops offer a free, or $10 retest within a period of time after the fail.

Yeah there is some blue smoke on start up. Thanks for the reply and the good info.

Orochimaru 05-13-2019 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tremo (Post 6301903)
If there is visible smoke at idle or when you gun the engine, you will fail.

If you have high hydrocarbons, NOX or CO you will fail.

If you don't have everything under the hood hooked up you will fail the visual exam. They will look underneath for a cat as well. If your cat is really old, you may fail.

You may want to try running 20W50 oil for the test. Make sure your air filter is clean. Dump a can of Seafoam and a jug of Gumout Regaine total fuel system cleaner (the stuff with PEA) in the tank and run that through before you test. Make sure the plugs, wires, cap and rotor are in good shape. Make sure your tires are nice and firm for the treadmill test. Get some spray carb/choke cleaner and spray that down its throat before the test.

Make sure the engine and cat are fully up to temperature when you take it in.

If your SES light does not work, you will fail. If the SES light is illuminated constantly, you will fail.

Luckily I'm not throwing any codes at all and there's no SES light either.

Tremo 05-14-2019 11:30 AM

If you have a puff of smoke at startup that is OK. Just no visible smoke at idle or when you gun the engine. The smogger will sit in the car and look for smoke through the rearview mirror or turn his head. He will gun the engine 2 or 3 times. There should be no smoke when he does that.

The smogger will check to see if the SES light works. It will light up when the key is on but the engine is not running. he will look for that. When he starts the engine the SES light has to go off and stay off.

Here in Cali we have alcohol gas year round now. Alky burns real clean. You can cheat a bit by buying a can of denatured alcohol at Lowes and dumping that in the tank to increase the alcohol percentage in the gas. That will make the engine burn a little cleaner. Might make a difference.

Good luck.

mikeceli 05-14-2019 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tremo (Post 6302029)
I................................................................. You can cheat a bit by buying a can of denatured alcohol at Lowes and dumping that in the tank to increase the alcohol percentage in the gas. That will make the engine burn a little cleaner. Might make a difference.

Good luck.

That and inflate rear tires to approx. 50 PSI.

Tootie Pang 05-15-2019 10:01 AM

These tips should be pinned! :lol:

mikeceli 05-15-2019 10:12 AM

I know a guy, who runs his fuel tank to about 1/4 full, or less, then adds approx. 4 bottles of HEET brand moisture remover/fuel line deicer. It contains Isapropol or methyl Alcohol. (Red or yellow bottle, I forget which is which). The alcohol helps it burn cleaner, add gasoline right after testing.

Tremo 05-15-2019 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by mikeceli (Post 6302055)
That and inflate rear tires to approx. 50 PSI.

Man, I would not do that. A tire explosion can kill you. But I would go to like 35 pounds.

Tremo 05-15-2019 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by mikeceli (Post 6302179)
I know a guy, who runs his fuel tank to about 1/4 full, or less, then adds approx. 4 bottles of HEET brand moisture remover/fuel line deicer. It contains Isapropol or methyl Alcohol. (Red or yellow bottle, I forget which is which). The alcohol helps it burn cleaner, add gasoline right after testing.

You get the same results from a can of denatured alcohol you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot, and its cheaper than buying several bottles of HEET. Same stuff.

mikeceli 05-15-2019 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tremo (Post 6302207)
You get the same results from a can of denatured alcohol you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot, and its cheaper than buying several bottles of HEET. Same stuff.

IMO, it comes down to what's readily available.

Last time I tried to buy Denatured Alcohol, it got flagged at the Walmart register as "Do not sell, remove all like items from display". Maybe a F-ING Cali thing. I haven't tried Lowes or HD.

Tremo 05-15-2019 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by mikeceli (Post 6302212)
IMO, it comes down to what's readily available.

Last time I tried to buy Denatured Alcohol, it got flagged at the Walmart register as "Do not sell, remove all like items from display". Maybe a F-ING Cali thing. I haven't tried Lowes or HD.

Mike that is bullshit. I also live in NorCal and see that stuff on the shelf all the time in Lowes and Home Depot. I've bought cans of the stuff several times with never an issue. If anything it is a Wally's World thing. There are no laws on the books preventing people from buying solvents. If you live anywhere other than the extreme boondocks, you should have a Lowes or HD within a few miles.