Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   ‘85 ugly distributor issue. Accel or DUI Distributor? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/786708-85-ugly-distributor-issue.html)

CrimsonDragon 10-10-2023 12:52 AM

‘85 ugly distributor issue. Accel or DUI Distributor?

Need advice please. My son loves this car. 85 Z28 305 , 5 speed, computer controlled carb, HEI distributor. Distributor bushing wore out and is unrebuildable, tried three new different distributors and wouldn’t run. Took to our mechanic who tried his best but couldn’t get to run well as well with stock dist’s. He switched over to a vaccum distributor, ran well for an hour then fell on its face. Question (1) - Is this causing more problems by not having an electronic distributor? SES light is on. We tried stock AC Delco, Cardone and different caps from Auto Zone but none of the original style distributors would run worth a crud. Question (2) - Is the DUI brand computer controlled distributor for $300 or the ACCEL 59130 for $110 the answer???? We’ve previously rebuilt the CC carb , replaced valve seals and springs, fresh plugs and wires. Trying our best to analyze and not just throw parts at it. Up for any all ideas. Thank you for your help

RedLeader289 10-10-2023 06:23 AM

Re: ‘85 ugly distributor issue. Please help a Dad out!

Check your wiring. Distributor should be a pullout/drop-in fix with no issues. You may have a wire disconnected or something else going on.

Roorancher 10-10-2023 06:32 AM

Why not just rebuild your distributor?
I recall having to do it on my 91 Silverado with a 305.

CrimsonDragon 10-10-2023 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by RedLeader289 (Post 6514818)
Check your wiring. Distributor should be a pullout/drop-in fix with no issues. You may have a wire disconnected or something else going on.

Thanks, will look again.

CrimsonDragon 10-10-2023 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Roorancher (Post 6514819)
Why not just rebuild your distributor?
I recall having to do it on my 91 Silverado with a 305.

Wish we could but original wasn’t rebuildable. Thanks

TransamGTA350 10-10-2023 08:12 AM

There really isn't much to the electronic controlled distributors. If the old one worked except for the worn bushing, you could move all of the electronic parts over from the old one to the new one and try that.

CrimsonDragon 10-10-2023 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by TransamGTA350 (Post 6514828)
There really isn't much to the electronic controlled distributors. If the old one worked except for the worn bushing, you could move all of the electronic parts over from the old one to the new one and try that.

thanks we will try that again. The AC, Delco, Cardone, and Auto Zone parts simply didn’t fit. The distributor caps wouldn’t fit flush and we had failed coils. Having a hard time with poor quality parts.