Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   TPI (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/)
-   -   car jolts when shifting (auto) (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/185734-car-jolts-when-shifting.html)

Trans_AM_88 06-16-2003 01:22 PM

car jolts when shifting (auto)

my friend looked at a '86 firebird today and we drove it around a bit. when he shifted out of park to drive, the car really rocked. i drive a '88 trans am gta, and mine does it as well, but not as hard. i think it just shows how powerful the engine is, and maybe the brakes are jsut a little weak, but my friend thinks its the transmission thats going. i doubt that, but what do you gues think?

also, the guy whos selling it said that the vavle cover gaskets are bad (we saw smoke after a couple of minutes on both sides). is it normal for both vavle cover gaskets to be bad at the sime time? or maybe its the head gaskets?

S10Wildside 06-16-2003 06:11 PM

Every once in awhile my 97 Sonoma jolted really bad during shifts. Didn't last long before I lost everything but 1st gear.

Could be a broken mount, u-joints, rear end, or bad tranny. That sort of thing is hard to troubleshoot without seeing the car.

Trans_AM_88 06-16-2003 07:59 PM

Originally posted by S10Wildside
Every once in awhile my 97 Sonoma jolted really bad during shifts. Didn't last long before I lost everything but 1st gear.

Could be a broken mount, u-joints, rear end, or bad tranny. That sort of thing is hard to troubleshoot without seeing the car.

well i didnt mean when driving the car...just when its standing still. like shifting from drive to reverse. that gives a nice big jolt. or from neutral to drive, and from park to drive etc..

Odyssey 06-16-2003 10:17 PM

That could also be caused by severly worn (loose) u-joints on the driveshaft.

Trans_AM_88 06-17-2003 05:34 PM

Originally posted by Odyssey
That could also be caused by severly worn (loose) u-joints on the driveshaft.
hmm. you know, that just might be right. because, on my '88 GTA ive been told my u-joints are a little loose. this car that we looked at was just like mine, but stronger jolts

daxfas26 06-17-2003 05:45 PM

i had that same problem in my camaro i replaced the tranny mounts and it went away. try that those arent that expensive maybe at the most 10 bucks.

Trans_AM_88 06-17-2003 08:55 PM

hmmm. you think it couldve been a combo of the two? how can you check if the tranny mounts and the u-joints are bad?

also. what do you guys think about what i said in my first post, about the valve covers smoking?

ChevyCamaro420 06-19-2003 03:57 AM

I bought an '86 Z28 last monday... The valve cover gaskets were both total sh*t, which caused the engine to smoke on both sides, so I guess it might be common for that to happen. I changed them yesterday, and the gaskets were so bad that they snapped in half when I dropped 'em on the ground... I think they were the original 16 year old ones =/